Any ideas on tools to help move heavy wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I'd consider moving stuff like this about while i was by myself ... Do you have a teammate who can call for help if you get squashed? I'd be happier if you said yes to this ;)

the hookaroon looks useful though, might have to make one of those. is it specially made or could i just take a torch to a pickaxe and make my own?

The hookaroon looks useful though, might have to make one of those. is it specially made or could i just take a torch to a pickaxe and make my own?

I suppose you could do that, but you might run the risk of the steel losing its temper and strength, and having it break more easily. There are others here with a lot more metal knowledge though.

Here's my rig for lifting big logs off the ground:
attachment.php

It's just an old bumper jack I grabbed at the dump some years back. I welded an old railway track plate to the bottom to give it a nice wide base for stability. It definitely made it a lot heavier to lug around the bush, but it's no worse than the 090 w/ mill attached! I plan on mofifying the "lip" of the jack to make it a lot stronger and easier to lift with.
attachment.php

Just a closer view of how I lift the logs. I have a link of #120 roller chain that I secure to the end of the log with 4" X 1/2" lag bolts. This is really sturdy, and gives a nice concave lip for the jack to grab. It works the best if it is put above center on the log, otherwise I run the risk of it becoming top-heavy and wanting to roll off the jack :censored:. I just used this rig yesterday to lift a 10-foot 28" Douglas Fir log up onto bedding logs so I could mill it, and it worked like a charm. I don't know how heavy it was, but I could barely roll the log with a 5-foot prypbar, so...

And if something's REALLY heavy, I have this:
attachment.php

It's a 15-ton mechanical railway jack that was originally used to lift the big rail sections into place. It was here up in the shop when i bought the place, along with a special rail lifting prybar, and both have come in really handy a few times. Dad and I used that jack to lift the entire 10X30' addition on his house to level it last summer. The great thing is that you can put as long of a handle as you want into the 2" square handle mount - with a good 6-foot handle or that prybar I mentioned earlier, a five-year-old could lift anything that jack is capable of. The other bonus is that you can lift from that bottom toe which is only about 3" off the ground, and once it's up high enough you can jack up twice as high from the top of the jack post. The DOWNSIDE is that it probably weighs about 75 pounds or more, and I don't even like carrying it short distances.

I also carry a hand boat winch and an old idler pulley setup sometimes. I lag bolt the hand winch to a tree quite low to the ground and some distance away, and then I lag bolt the idler pulley as high as I can to a tree near the piece I want to move. I have an assortment of eye bolts etc. that I rig onto the log to hook the winch line too. I have also done this with the winch on my quad, but being that my quad is much lighter than some of the pieces of wood I move, it has its limitations until the wood is on wheels. If you wanted to flip a short block over, I'd try attaching the winch on the bottom far side of the block, and blocking/pegging the near side of the block so it can't slide. This way the winch is pulling up and back and the piece will want to flip instead of slide or roll. Of course this assumes a very nearby tree or a tripod setup, so it is useless in some situations. And in case you can't tell - I agree with Madsaw, I pack my cordless Li-Ion drill and impact driver every time I go to get wood. The batteries on those things last forever and I've never had them die on me on a job. They were pricey, but worth every penny. Beats using a brace & bit out in the bush.

Last edited:
Lewis winch has drawbacks !

I have two chainsaw powered winches, one of them hasn't been used for about 5 years. It is similar to the Lewis winch, and has a MAJOR flaw: There is no reverse.

That is not a problem until you exceed the capacity of the winch or need to detach from the load. Then you discover that you can't back off the tension in the cable, and you need a winch to free your winch from the load. My version can be freed by pulling the engine drive chain backwards (hot! ouch!), but that is rather slow. It looks like the lewis relies on a friction brake to hold the drum to the shaft, so it might not be as big a problem, but it still doesn't have a reverse gear.

We use our capstan rope winch all the time. Very good for controlled pull, but you need to engineer a throttle lock on your saw, or have extra hands to help run it.

Back to basics: you are trying to load a trailer with big, heavy billets.

A winch and a pair of ramps should do it. The winch is so strong that it will drag the log right up the ramps. The log doesn't even have to be lying on its side. Any position would work because the winch is so strong.

Mount the winch securely about 5' back and as high as possible in the trailer with a bracket solid as a rock. That way the force it exerts is straight up the ramps. Preferably, you can move it out of the way when done.

Take a look at that log in the center of my pickup truck bed:
GingkoLog1.jpg

I loaded it on board with this simple hand winch assembly that I made in my work shop that fastens across the side racks:
Winch_Ramp.jpg

I use the same set up except use an electric winch with 2 part pulleys. Also use an old straight ladder with plywood U Bolted to the rungs. I can hold the remote while prying the logs into place. Cant hooks can move a lot and if you attach a loop or shackle to the end and hook up the winch to it it gets even more umf. This year I'm adding a second winch and a trolley on the pickup bed... less manual labor and safer staying away from the loads as they go up the ramp... great thread.

How about one of those Two Wheeled Carts, that a lot of Snow Mobile Shops have to move around Snow Mobiles, or something like that, where you can slide something under the log enough to get a Bite when you lift up on the Tongue or Hitch. They have tires on them the same as a Wheel Barrow. Bruce.

I've thought about a tractor for home, but often the real challenge is on site. Often the tree is behind someone's house with no room for a machine of any size. And generally the yard is sloped which makes it all even harder.

I use a small kubota with a carry-all on the back, and have gotten in and out of some really tight spots. It will fit through some walk through gates, has 4x4 w/ locking diff so you have to work to get it stuck and turf tires so its doesn't mess up their yard. It also makes an awesome lawnmower with the belly deck mounted. --edit-- Found a better picture

truck-trailer07.jpg

Last edited:
I use a small kubota with a carry-all on the back, and have gotten in and out of some really tight spots. It will fit through some walk through gates, has 4x4 w/ locking diff so you have to work to get it stuck and turf tires so its doesn't mess up their yard. It also makes an awesome lawnmower with the belly deck mounted. --edit-- Found a better picture

truck-trailer07.jpg

Hmmm... I like that idea. Maybe I could build a winch-driven forklift onto the rear end of my ATV, just build it so it mounts to the trailer hitch frame and secure the top to the frame under the rear rack. So many ideas and projects, so little time (and money!). I'd definitely have to counterweight the front of the quad though, they don't have a heavy engine up there like the tractors do.

Hmmm... I like that idea. Maybe I could build a winch-driven forklift onto the rear end of my ATV, just build it so it mounts to the trailer hitch frame and secure the top to the frame under the rear rack. So many ideas and projects, so little time (and money!). I'd definitely have to counterweight the front of the quad though, they don't have a heavy engine up there like the tractors do.

Many things not alike.. Tractors do not have suspension in the rear.adding a forklift of any design will just squash a quad. Sell the toy buy a tool.

Many things not alike.. Tractors do not have suspension in the rear.adding a forklift of any design will just squash a quad. Sell the toy buy a tool.

Yeah, didn't think about that. As mentioned though I do have that old Craftsman tractor kicking around. Mower deck is long gone. And no way in hell will I sell that quad. I bought it as a tool to plow the driveway and haul logs, and it's done admirably. Not that I could get anywhere near what I would need for it. Our local Polaris dealer somehow has first dibs on any machines from dealerships that close down, and he's selling them for dirt cheap which has destroyed the local used market. I got mine in May '07, and if I had waited until this summer the same machine was $2600 less. But I paid about that much less than its price from '06, so I thought I was getting a steal. :censored: Oh well, if you keep waiting for a better deal you'll never have anything, I guess.

Those biggest rounds at the front of the trailer are about the limit of what it can lift, but as I don't want to fool with anything bigger than that it works out. My toy tractor weighs ~1200 lbs, and I also have an additional 300 lbs of nose weight on it, but even with that the front gets real light carrying the biggest pieces. I don't think it would work out with a quad, unless they weigh a lot more than I'm thinking (my experience with quads is limited to an LT80).

Last edited:
I use a Warn 3700 portable winch in my trailer, and couldnt do without it. Pull logs to the trailer from either side, into the back, or where ever you want em to go.
Pulling some good sized chunks in

the winch itself

With a 30 ft remote, you can walk the cable right out to your wood, hook up, and drag what ever you want.

Best tool in the box IMO

I'm just throwing out an idea. I've used winches that mount on receiver hitches. When you have a receiver on the front and back of your vehicle, it makes it VERY versatile. Then if you could attach a grapple to the end of the wire rope, block one end of your log and pull the other end up to vertical with the grapple? Just thinking out loud here.

How about one of those Two Wheeled Carts, that a lot of Snow Mobile Shops have to move around Snow Mobiles, or something like that, where you can slide something under the log enough to get a Bite when you lift up on the Tongue or Hitch. They have tires on them the same as a Wheel Barrow. Bruce.

We don't have snow here (so no snow mobiles) but is this something like a large sack trolley?

I use a forklift at the milling yard, but when it's not available I use a sack trolley with pump up tyres to move slabs that weigh ~250 lbs. I also move my mill around on a modified sack trolley.
attachment.php

What I would like is a refrigerator moving troller but I have not been able to find one with pump up tyres. They also typically have those 3 wheel setups for stairs which is not necessary, and they cost a fortune.

Back