Just got a Jonsered 2094 Project Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCreosote

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My current saw collection was a pair of old Sears Ropers (a 16" and a big one, a self-sharpening 17") and a small Poulan 25 DA. The Ropers are tanks and indestructable, but little saws. So I posted a WTB larger chainsaw w/larger bar on Craigslist. A guy contacts me with the 2094.

He said he bot it new, logged with it for a few years, then quit logging and it was sitting in his garage for 3 years - head unit only, no bar and chain.

At this point, I new nothing about the 2094 although I was familiar with the Jonsered name. When I researched it and found that it was 94 cc, well, nothing but... drool! :hmm3grin2orange:

I drove 100 miles to get it.

When I got there, it was a pretty sad looking, beat up saw. But then, I just wanted a saw that worked.

The little exhaust diverter duct was missing and the exhaust basically melted the brake handle off which was missing - the melted stump still there.

There was fuel and oil in it. I asked the guy if he started it and he said, "No, like I told you, I put it in the garage and its been sitting there for 3 years."

Not what I wanted to hear.

So I tried to start it. :chainsawguy: Fortunately, it has compression release. I was able to start it on about the 6th pull. It sounded very good with little smoke. I mistook the handle heat switch for a on-off switch so I stopped it with the choke. (I haven't located the on-off switch yet.) I started it again with choke and wouldn't start after about 4 pulls. So it was flooded. Opened choke and it coughed on first pull, started on 2nd pull. This saw has a KILLER ignition system on it!

Got it home.

Realized it was missing dogs.

The isolation springs have a lot of set to them.

Removed the brake cover and the brake band was completely worn away which matched the missing brake handle just perfectly.

I have to see that it is not missing any air pipes/ducting since this saw was used no matter what was falling off.

I started pricing new parts and decided that I'm going to troll for used parts - especially since a complete brake cover w/handle - just what I needed! - just sold on eBay.

I'll probably buy the exhaust diverter new, but even a 24" bar and chain - I would love to find a used one that needed some work. (I've reworked bars with tapered grooves and bad edges with reasonable success.)

The more parts I can reuse and repair, the happier I am. I just like to fix broken things. :deadhorse:

I'll post some pics in the next few days.

Tom

PS. BTW, I have a Partner 950 (I think) concrete saw and it is so similar to the Jonsered, I can't believe it. They even sound the same! I really like my Partner and am extra pleased I now have a Jonsered. I had to disassemble the Partner to get it into checked baggage on an airplane and when I disassembled it, I saw how they designed things and was quite impressed.

Of course, I'll never understand what those Swedes were thinking when they designed that Saab with the engine in "backwards" - the fan belt was on the "back" of the engine, up against the firewall (It was NOT a transverse mounted engine.) Had to replace fan belt. Cut old one off. Got new one start up on pulley with screw driver and I holler to my buddy to bump the starter while I'm holding the screw driver, looking away, eyes closed, with pain on my face.... But it worked! and I didn't lose any fingers!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new saw!

Congratulations!

I don't know much about that particular saw, but it sounds like it will develop some serious power when you get everthing together.

It may take a bit before you get responses here. There are a few Jred guys on the site, but I find Jred posts get less attention than Stihl/Husky. I hope you got a good price on it.

Have you taken the muffler off to inspect the P&C? What about compression? IMO break covers etc. will be relatively cheap but top end work could be pretty pricey in that displacement range.

Good for you! I bet you can't wait to get it into some large wood.

I believe its basically a husky 394. GREAT saws, wish I had one.

the 2094 is a very different animal than a husky 394... the 2094 was the last j-red that still had influences of j-reds of old (not just a re-badged husky) and they share very few parts....

there have been recent discussions about the 2094 (and its similarities/differences to the 394).... search function should throw up several threads

good saw, hope you can track down the bits you need at a reasonable price

you where a bit more lucky than me with the saw
i got mine for free.:) but it had a ruined piston and an oil leak
have fixed it now:) going to test it tomorrow

the 2094 is a very different animal than a husky 394... the 2094 was the last j-red that still had influences of j-reds of old (not just a re-badged husky) and they share very few parts....

there have been recent discussions about the 2094 (and its similarities/differences to the 394).... search function should throw up several threads

I stand corrected...

The 2094 is basically the same saw as the 2095. As for the Husky parts, don't know for sure. The 2094/2095 is a JRed saw and was not equivalent to the 394 except in displacement and power.

Yes! I was thinking of the Hollander manual when I posted this!

With everything being on-line these days, it would be so easy to put one together.

The only thing I know is that the brake handle from the 2040 is the same as the 2094/2095 (part number 506-15-86-01)

I also know the brake band and the brake cover assembly is different in the 2040.

(It kind of bugs me :chainsaw: that a cover assembly was just sold on eBay just before I got this saw! Talk about bad timing.)

Thanks
Tom

You are right, about the only things they share is the bore/stroke, spark plug, and maybe the bar nuts and cutting attachment......

I believe its basically a husky 394. .....

I used to think so as well, before Spike60 corrected me, but the 2094 actually is a development of the 930......

Last edited:
I just put a break band from a 2095 on a 395. Direct parts swap. The 395 had a solid band and the 2095 is a split band. Works great.

The 2094 to 2095 parts that may not match are the rear handles. Depending on how old the 2094 is, it can have a different handle shape and mounting position to the cylinder wall. A lot of the 2094s that were sold here do not have a decomp. valve.

Pistons between 2094s and 95s have the locating pins positioned differently and different port shapes. The pistons from 394 and 395s can be used.

Great saws. All parts are still available from Tilton's through any Jonsered dealer.

I used to think so as well, before Spike60 corrected me, but the 2094 actually is a development of the 930......[/QUOTE]SawTroll

That would make sense as there are a lot of similarities.

Of course, I'll never understand what those Swedes were thinking when they designed that Saab with the engine in "backwards" - the fan belt was on the "back" of the engine, up against the firewall (It was NOT a transverse mounted engine.)

They were thinking "lets put an airplane engine in a car; yeah that would be fun". When you build something out of parts for something else you put the parts in anyway they fit and work:D.... The newer ones engines are in forward and the ignition switch is on the steering column instead of the floor. Of course the trade off for a forward facing engine designed for a car is that they do not last like they used to.....

Never heard of that explanation.

It would definitely make sense if the crankshaft came out the "front" of the engine where the belts are since that is where the propeller would be.

However, that wasn't the case. The crankshaft came out the "rear" of the engine.

In fact, he had 2 of these types of cars:

1) 1962 Saab 96 with a backwards Ford Capri V4 & manual 4-spd column shift, and a
2) 1985 Saab 900 Turbo with a backwards straight 4.

In both cases, the front wheel drive hung off the "rear" of the engine which was placed forward in the car.

I guess that was Saab's solution to an in-line front wheel drive car.

Also, the transmission/differential housing was actually part of the engine block, so these engines were specifically designed for this application.

I used to think so as well, before Spike60 corrected me, but the 2094 actually is a development of the 930 (SawTroll)

That would make sense as there are a lot of similarities.

:agree2:

Last edited:
Back