changing drum knives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

topnotchtree

Looking for tips or advice for changing blades on a drum chipper. I have a very old asplundh 9 inch. It is my understanding that most blades have adjustment screws to set blade before cranking down on wedge bolts. My chipper has no such adjusters. They have to be floated in position by hand. I have a guy that will change them reasonably priced but I want to learn myself. Is this something to try on my own or should I get my friend to teach me? He tells me there is a knack to doing it right. What are your suggestions?

Asp. chippers have the adjustment screws under the blades. You have to get them out first. Or come in from the back side. Just wondering how much does your friend charge. it is tricky. Takes some time. & good tools. Make sure the bolts are clean. You strip out a allen head then it all about the torch. & if a allen head is a little stipped go ahead & replace them.

No adjustment bolts under the blades? That sucks. You need a jig to set the blades before tightening the bolts. I go for about a dime width(the flat way) between the blade and cutter bar. Once you have one blade set the way you want it, you can measure from the drum to the outside edge of the other blades. I used to use a dime and measure to the top of Johnson's ear, but that when out the window after flipping the cutter bar.

Sonny's spot on about the torch, needed 2 bolts cut out to change my blades the first time.

". I used to use a dime and measure to the top of Johnson's ear, "

That must have been a real PITA since Roosevelt is on the dime.:D

There are no adjusting screws to be found. This machine is from the early 50's as far as we can tell. It is very hard to find any info on it. I did a job over the weekend and chipped up some hickory and some maple brush. Would you believe the hickory brush went right through and I had to fight the maple to go through? The blades came today, but I gotta clean the garage before I do anything.

Thats the best advice I have heard from a squirrel in a long time. Thanks!

This gizmo really extends the life of the blades edge;

http://www.banditchippers.com/

cutter.jpg

That item you show there is a cool tool,Butch. I almost bought the bandit one but then saw Bailey's offering the same thing for $19.95! Well, not exactly the same, the tool was the same, it just didn't come with the glove and the plastic box.

As long as there aren't any major divots, it keeps a nice edge, probably doubled the knife life between sharpenings.

Originally posted by Newfie

As long as there aren't any major divots, it keeps a nice edge, probably doubled the knife life between sharpenings.

Thats the secret, Newf. Ya gotta hit em a lick while their still kinda sharp. Once they get dull you'll wear it out prematurely if you try using it. I've seen them used a couple of times in a day.

They ARE cool! ;)

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I bought one of those in a hardware store about 15+ years ago, it was sold as a kitchen knife sharpener. I paid $9.95 for it and still have it and use it. I do not believe it has ever seen a chipper knife though.

Brian, I don't think those are exactly the same. The handles are, but I think the stone inside is not. I guess thats why they cost more. :confused:

I talked with the Bandit folks. The knife sharpener you see in the stores called accusharp, is identical to the product they sale. The kit comes with a file and gloves. That's the difference. The sharpening stones on the inside are the same.

This sharpener works great. Light pressure is all that's needed. It won't do chips but the little honed edge it leaves makes a difference but will dull again quickly depending on what you chip. I may use it twice in a day when clearing stuff that has been on the ground or wet material that picks up gritty foreign particles. It is great for pocket knives too and doesn't cost more than $10. I buy two at a time since I wear them out or break the plastic..

Its important you hold them correctly to get the maximum benefit. I would hold them flat against the disc to get the same, consistant angle on all the knives.

And don't waste your time(or the stones life) trying to sharpen dull blades. This gizmo works best at keeping/maintaining already sharp knives.

I can't believe different type stones don't exist for different types of applications. :confused:

Hmmm.

In the one I have, the stones are actually metal, carbide I think, and are reversable.

One note: aren't chipper knifes supposed to be sharpened on one side only? The sharpener is set to sharpen both sides of the blade on mine wich is for knifes, not chipper blades. Just askin.

Carl

I bet there are diffrerent stones. I had an accusharp knock off that did a decent job and it's stone looked different. The device didn't hold up as well as the accusharp which has stones that you can flip but the plastic wears out before the stones do..in my experience.

As far as holding them flat. I have to change angles (sometimes) to get started then it works best if you are consistent. Anyway, it does seem to help but gee whiz, I am usually chipping soft wood and a brand new blade set on oak aint much better than dull!

Back