Stihl just quit!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFORD79

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an 015AV Stihl saw. Bought at an auction and it sat for several months. Got it running and the first time I used it, it made a bad screeching sound coming from the recoil starter area.
Took the starter mechanism out and put it back in and no problems. Cut 21/2 pickup loads that afternoon.
Several days later the same situation, could not get the noise to stop, saw suddenly quit and now I have no spark. Everything looks fine after I took it apart. Any ideas? Too nice of a small saw to junk!!

Just my oppinion as always , might of been the screws behind the flywheel came loose. thats the noise. since u have no spark. (just a thought )

There was a service proceedure on the early 015's to install shims to tighten up the crank end play, requires near total disassembly. The screeching noise is usually the ignition cover, that black plastic disc, falling out of its mount and rubbing against the back of the flywheel. Many 015's make this noise and flopping the saw to the left should make it run quiet, temporarily. Take the flywheel off and I'll guarantee you see evidence of this. I beleive the noise and the lack of spark are 2 seperate issues, treat them as such until proven otherwise.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the flywheel and the black cover over the points and absolutely no indication of the cover moving and rubbing on the flywheel. Also no bolts under the flywheel to come loose. Priced a new e-ignition kit for the saw, 81.00, does anyone know of an aftermarket set up for this? I am still confused about this. I am not against replacing some parts but am undecided on how much money to spend on it. Any more help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

noise

Another possibility, dry sprocket bearing. The oil pump drive gear will also make the noise if too tight. Sound telephones right through the crsnk.
The point cover is still number one.
Check aftermarket small engine suppliers, most of them have the modules now. Usually less than 20 bucks.

Back