My OWB install Job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well everything seems to be woking pretty darn good. I checked the boiler at 11:30 this morning and it still had around 9 logs in it. It was windy last night and in the low 20's and today it was 23 with no wind. I checked it again at 5:30 and it had 5 logs left in it. I loaded 12 more smaller logs and called it good. I am pretty happy that I got 18 hours burn time and it still was going. Im sure it would of went 24. I think I'm going to relax now and drink some Bailey's. :cheers:

I see you used a "fire stick" to help light it up!

I see in this picture, you used a "fire stick" to help light it up! Nice job! I want to do this in the near future.

Dan

attachment.php

Nice job on the install,and documentation. I can't beleive how easy you were able to hand dig your trench.It took me 5 hrs to go 65 ft here with a woods 750 backhoe,its so rocky,also had to hand dig 12 ft past my existing oil tanks,which took another 4 hrs. A relative of mine has 2 6048's and loves them,one at his home, and one at his farm. I should have went with one for my house as well.

Up here in Northern Michigan we have nothing but sand. It was very easy to do. I did rent a trencher when I put in my sprinkler system but that was a way bigger job. Good luck with your stove. I have been reading on your modifications. Good Job!

Looks Good Nice and Shiney chimney I hope you plan to keep it polished in your spare time.

I couldn't figure out how the ( what I thought was) blue water spiget in one picture was not in the second picture. Then I figured it out you moved the torch you started the fire with.

Nice bank of trees in the background. :)

Is that what people do is shine their chimneys? LOL. I did think about that but what would you use? I already have a little creosote running down.

Wow 1/16" that is awesome!!! It is a pretty good feeling to not have the "other" system kick on. Nice job, you deserve to reap the benefits.:cheers:

I am very surprised at the 1/16" also but that is where it still is. Yes it is a great feeling to not have the propane boiler burning. While I was outside looking at my house it was strange not seeing any exhaust coming out of the chimney.

Another strange thing today. I just walked out of my pole barn and a Blue Jay was sitting on my OWB chimney. How strange is that? Must be that shiny new stainless.

Thanks for your input and compliments It truly is appreciated.

Have a Happy and Safe New Year.

That there is one beauty of a stove. Great Job +Rep from me for sure. Is your plan to check it in the mornings, and then in the evenings? Stay warm....

attachment.php

That there is one beauty of a stove. Great Job +Rep from me for sure. Is your plan to check it in the mornings, and then in the evenings? Stay warm....

attachment.php

Thank You very much. I would like to just check it every evening when I get home from work but I will see how it goes. I am up at 5:30am so I will probably check it then for awhile and if it looks like it can make it then it will be once a day hopefully.

Added wood furnace in basement this winter

Yeah I added wood furnace in basement this winter. We were going through 1500 gal of propane a winter. I can keep the gas furnace off by using the wood furnace.

I was able to get this used off of Craigslist. Not too bad. It was a gift from my brother. I have the gas furnace drawing off of the wood unit.

Dan
attachment.php

Last edited:
Yeah I added wood furnace in basement this winter. We were going through 1500 gal of propane a winter. I can keep the gas furnace off by using the wood furnace.

Dan

Thats about what I was using. I just turned my boiler's main burner off but kept the pilot light on. I am thinking of getting a spark module for it so it will have no standing pilot.

Standing pilot

Thats about what I was using. I just turned my boiler's main burner off but kept the pilot light on. I am thinking of getting a spark module for it so it will have no standing pilot.

One advantage of a standing pilot is that it provides a bit of heat to ward off rust and condensation.

Dan

One advantage of a standing pilot is that it provides a bit of heat to ward off rust and condensation.

Dan

Thats true. Another thing is there is less to go wrong with a standing pilot. I worked on furnaces for years and alot of problems were defective spark modules. I was just thinking of switching to a spark so I was'nt using any propane.

Thats true. Another thing is there is less to go wrong with a standing pilot. I worked on furnaces for years and alot of problems were defective spark modules. I was just thinking of switching to a spark so I was'nt using any propane.

Check your billing ,they may have a minimum use/charge anyway,so you may get billed a certain amount anyway.I think for the cost its probably worth leaving the pilot on,but I certainly understand you wanting to 100% stop the flow of propane,just because you can,and because they have been reaming you for yrs.

I just thought I would share some results after operating my OWB for the first week. It seems like this thing has exceded my expectations which does'nt happen often.

I have the temperature controller set at 185f and damper will open at 175f.
I am loading between 10-15 logs 4"-7" x 24" long all seasoned maple.
I am getting 24hrs burn time with a couple logs still left and water temp maintained at 185f.

The weather for this past week has been in the 20's and lows in the teens.

My inside boiler seems to running at 175-185f so the 40 plate heat exchanger seems to be transfering heat really well.

I did not have to install a wrap around pump on my inside boiler. I just turned my low limit aquastat down to around 110f so the propane does'nt come on.

I still don't know why I have a 5 degree difference between the supply at the OWB and where it comes into the basement wall. I am thinking the gauges are not calibrated right. I did calibrate them before I installed them using a glass of ice water.

Well that about sums it up. I am real happy about this.

No more high propane bills for me.:clap:

My boys are real proud of their wood pile.
attachment.php

Last edited:
My 5036 has also exceeded my expectations and that does not happen to me often either. I am convinced this is a good product and hope it lasts 15 yrs. I have a co-worker that has had his for 10 yrs now.

:cheers:

Photos

It seems like it's been a long process getting everything together but I've got everything done except installing the pump and my final connections to the OWB. My OWB is supposed to be delivered today so hopefully he gets here soon. Many thanks to all the members and forum posts as well as guys I work with. I have read alot on this site and have learned much.

Here are some photos of my install job.

Would you mind if I used some of your pictures?

Anyone else, please send any photos for the website or installation manual that we can use.

THANKS!!

Ben

From your pictures it didn't look as though you installed a valve above your pump. I would do so if you haven't when it warms up.

I just finished my installing my woodmaster 5500 it is about 150ft from my house, the Flexsul-Seal insulated pex expanded about 18 inches into my basement, I used shark-bite fittings and hopefully they will hold. It has been running about a week and we should have done it years ago.

I just finished my installing my woodmaster 5500 it is about 150ft from my house, the Flexsul-Seal insulated pex expanded about 18 inches into my basement, I used shark-bite fittings and hopefully they will hold. It has been running about a week and we should have done it years ago.

WOW! 18 inches expansion? I was worried about mine at first but It only expanded 1/16th. I think because that pex is surrounded by all the sprayed foam stuff.

I feel the same way about my OWB. I should of done it years ago.

Happy Burning. :blob2: :)

Back