Keeping up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4400 Woodmaster is just above idle at 0 this morning while heating the house to 75, shop to 60 and domestic water. I cant imagine what a person could heat with one at full tilt? (and the wood it would burn, LOL) We don't utilize 20% of it's capability to produce BTUs but the storage for fuel sure is nice. Never have seen it so cold that we had to be in it more than twice a day.

Mine has a hard time keeping up when the outside temps are say 10 or so. Factor in the wind and it's near impossible to keep the house above 59 or so. The colder outside the hotter the water temp, say about 180. I heat a 3100 sq. house that is older, but has been upgraded with newer windows. To make it worse, the down stairs used to be carpeted and we took it up to expose the hardwood floor. I think that the carpet acted as insulation and that is gone now.

Keeping Up

The Shaver 165 did good last night, it was 4 degrees with little wind and the house was set at 69, needed wood at 6:00am, but water was still 160*, I'm good until the wind starts to blow. Then the old house starts needing more heat!

I wont know until I get home.The blower on my furnace turned on after only being off for 23 minutes...I'm a bit worried that I'll come home to no fire.

It was about -18 here last night and windy. Wood burner kept the house at 74 all night - that's using two forced air furnances and I'm also doing two hot water heaters, plus a shop heater. I keep the OWB temp between 183-190 and it was still at 189 this morning. Supposed to get to -25 with a -45 windchill tonight and a HIGH o f-10 tomorrow!

Our CB has a hard time keeping up when temps dip below 10 degrees. Add a good stiff wind and 65 degrees inside the house is about the best it can maintain. It is heating an old uninsulated 3600sf house, so it is like trying to heat a pole barn. The furnace runs all night and just drinks wood. No smoke though!

My indoor woodstove is holding on about even, we keep the house around 60-62F. In theory our house needs 50,000 btu to keep fairly warm and in theory the stove can do 75,000 btu so we should be good.
My wife was complaining about lack of kindling I have cut a couple weeks ago, but we haven't needed a stick since then... Always a fire or enough coals to get big pieces started up quickly.
Ian

No problem here. -24° here this am. I'm still getting 12 hours burning poplar & basswood. It just so happens it was in between my hardwood, figures!!! I heat the house to 73°, I just called the wife to check it as I filled it at 6am and everything is good so I can fill at 6pm. I'm happy with that.

I will know more tomorrow, suppose to be zero tonight with a wind chill of -20. With this and Thurs. forecast -5 with a -20 wind chill will be the coldest weather we have had in 2 years. Last year we had some single digits and my Hardy OWB kept up 73-74 in the house. Great Post !!!

No problems here at all. I've been keeping a meticulous count of what has been going into my wood boiler, for conversation's sake. I put 16 pieces of mixed hardwood and pine in this morning, on a good coal bed. 16 pieces average 5-6" diameter and 20" long. I will add another 4-6 pieces tonight just after dark. That will keep me going, in sub-zero temperatures, for 24 hours. I heat 4300 square feet of living space plus enough hot water for a family of 7. This morning I could have shoveled 40-50 lb of good charcoal out of there (and might do so for future use). It's awesome to see a bed of coals a foot thick, 3 ft square, glowing orange and a mass of small blue flames everywhere. House stays pretty much at 65 degrees, boiler set point is at 180 high, 170 low.

My CB 6048 is keeping up very well. Last night we had temps of -23 and 35 mph winds and today our high has been 12 below. It eats quite a little wood as I crank up my set point to 195 when it gets this cold. The old farm house is nice and warm. If I could only plumb it into my 30 year old John Deere 4440 so that could stay warm. The old girl moans and groans when called upon to blow snow in this weather and in western Minnesota we're blowing a lot of snow this year.

My CB 5036 is keeping up just fine. Last night it was 0 when I got home at midnight and my water temp was 170 set at 185 high. I threw a couple of seasoned hard maple pieces and at 6 am temp was 190 with a temp of -8.

I need to better insulate the pipes under my house cause the vinyl skirting under my single wide does not insulate very well. I have foam pipe insulation and some foil tape around the pipes I could reach, but I really lose a lot of heat when the wind blows out of the north. Yesterday it only took 20 mins for the temp to go from 185 down to 175. I'm thinking of building a wooden box to shelter the pipes from the wind. My pressure tank for my well is right there as well and if I insulate around it I may keep my water from freezing. :dizzy:

Kyle

I wont know until I get home.The blower on my furnace turned on after only being off for 23 minutes...I'm a bit worried that I'll come home to no fire.

:cheers: 15 hours so far,a couple of little chunks left PLUS a nice bed o' coals.

Weather Channel said -12 this morning when I loaded,8 above when I got home.

Keep the poorly insulated double wide w/basement at 73

The CB5648 just purrs along heatin 6000 sq ft. May have to go to puttin a few extra sticks in the next few days in the -20 though. :cheers:

My Magic box will keep up no problems..

The garage once the wind stops blowing will probably be 85 degrees.. The wind is hitting the 2 10x10 overhead doors and pushing them away from their seals.. Got quite the draft around those dudes. The reason I say it will be 85,I have heat in the slab, so as long as the stat is calling for heat it will just keep on sending glycol to it.
I got in the truck this morning when it was 10 degrees outside. Truck was a toasty 76 degrees.. I spoil my vehicles. LOL

My Woodmaster 4400 has been keeping rather well, I have had to put a little more wood on and i am getting 12-15 hour burn times. I jumped up my set point to 180 but will back it down when we get tropical again (mid 20's) :hmm3grin2orange:

Back