@#*^@# tick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been warm here for 4-5 days, bout 63 today and real mushy. Dogs and I walked out to a couple wood piles next to the woods and as usual the big dog sent a big ole squirrel packin in a hurry. I headed up to the house and she came up later and wanted in. Turned her in as I was fixin to eat supper. Looked down and right smack dab in the middle of her forehead was a dad blamed deer tick. This is a new record even for us. Got to get some chickens, to early to start this crap.:chainsaw:

C.B.

Yah, ticks are a beech around here. I never get them, but the ex got gobs of them. Had to treat the dogs all the time for them.

Not warm here though. Supposed to snow again here tomorrow.

We are lucky as there are no ticks in our area. They start appearing about 2-3 hours south of us.

Or at least that's the way it has been so far.

Last summer I heard that they are making their way north and people were starting to find them in this area. Hopefully that is just a rumor!

Where I live, once spring comes around all the ticks come out(to early now 3 -4 feet of snow on the ground) but the damn deer ticks are getting worse every year. I dump all my chips out at my deer hunting property. If I don't keep it mowed very short my little 10# wiener doggy will have at least 60 ticks on her(assortment of 3 we have here) if I mow and keep the grass very short she will have only about 20 to pick off! I use front line on the little rat but I do get allot that bite and stay before they die....so I just pick em off her and burn em......Back a few years ago I have found deer ticks on my doberman in the middle of the winter. I figured they must have come in on fire wood. was all I could figure as there was allot of snow on the ground.

Frontline Plus works great but the problem I have with it is that while it may kill about 100% of the ticks, it doesnt repel them in anyway. My dogs stays inside with me so he carries them in, bite him, get sick, and jump off. I would like to find a product that kills line Frontline Plus but also repels those buggers.

Frontline Plus works great but the problem I have with it is that while it may kill about 100% of the ticks, it doesnt repel them in anyway. My dogs stays inside with me so he carries them in, bite him, get sick, and jump off. I would like to find a product that kills line Frontline Plus but also repels those buggers.

No such product. I have read all about herbal prodcuts, but nothing worked on the dogs. Frontline+ is the ony one that works for ticks. The rest are for fleas, and heartworm, and some other stuff. I use DEET on myself. I have a lot of it, and spray whenever I work in the woods, like I did today. 5 hours of chipper and tree falling on a woody property.

No such product. I have read all about herbal prodcuts, but nothing worked on the dogs. Frontline+ is the ony one that works for ticks. The rest are for fleas, and heartworm, and some other stuff. I use DEET on myself. I have a lot of it, and spray whenever I work in the woods, like I did today. 5 hours of chipper and tree falling on a woody property.

Yeah, thats kinda what I figured...I was just reading that deadfleaz website and saw that k9 advantix says that it does both but i remain skeptical....If it could repel ticks, why would it need to kill ticks, lol. By the way, how much do you usually save with that website. I have looked at US based sites (petmeds) that required a vet prescription, so a vet visit would be needed anyway, so I always buy there. Cant remember how much the last heartguard plus frontline plus dose was. DEET is some good stuff, although, it dont keep the gnats away as much as i would like....

Yeah, thats kinda what I figured...I was just reading that deadfleaz website and saw that k9 advantix says that it does both but i remain skeptical....If it could repel ticks, why would it need to kill ticks, lol. By the way, how much do you usually save with that website. I have looked at US based sites (petmeds) that required a vet prescription, so a vet visit would be needed anyway, so I always buy there. Cant remember how much the last heartguard plus frontline plus dose was. DEET is some good stuff, although, it dont keep the gnats away as much as i would like....

DeadFleaz is way less than PetMeds. 40% or so less. No vet Rx required. Fast delivery. Pay with Paypal or CC. I have been using them for about 5 years now. Zero problems. Good place for flea/tick meds.

Last edited:
Add a teaspoon of chopped garlic to your dogs food every other day. Once its extablished in their system fleas, ticks, and mosquitos wont be as interested in biting. We've done this for the last 8 years and its been effective. I do use Bio-spot monthly also.

Dave

http://www.equine-mega-store.com/default.ehtml

.Frontline Plus Heartgard Plus Combo For Large Dogs [ more ]
Price: $73.00
US $73.00
Frontline Plus and Heartgard Plus combo 6m
Frontline Plus 20 - 40kg (44 - 88lbs) 6m Heartgard Plus 23 - 45Kg (50 - 99lbs) 6m============6 doses x2 = $146.00

12 doses is 40.00 cheaper than deadfleaz Yearly supply. + shipping $6.00
Heartgard + Front Line - 146.00

Pet Med= $178 for frontline only....add $78.00 for hearguard = $260.00 +-
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Frontline+Plus-prod10459.html

Savings $120.00 per year per dog.

Calculations for Large Dog.

Have used Equine Center before. They seem to be well stocked again.

Last edited:
Add a teaspoon of chopped garlic to your dogs food every other day. Once its extablished in their system fleas, ticks, and mosquitos wont be as interested in biting. We've done this for the last 8 years and its been effective. I do use Bio-spot monthly also.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I think I will start doing that with our dog.

Dave

I have tried bio spot too, with little success. Then again it seems we have mutant ticks around here, I have seen them get to about the size of a golf ball on untreated dogs.

we have an airedale thats a flea and tick magnet we have found after trying all the different shampoos dips sprays etc.dawn dish soap works the best for gettin rid of them. wet coat lightly rub soap throught let set for 10 min. rinse good you will see them jump off and die. then we put a once a month treatment on her called k9 advantix we bought it at the vets office in petco. we have not have very good luck with frontline.

Here you can still find those :censored: ticks year round.
My inlaws Great Pyrenees died this fall due to a bite from one of those deer ticks. They used frontline along with the others with no help, they also had his hair cut on a monthly basis.

I have seen ticks here during the winter, especially in the early 2000's when we had a dry winter.

Last edited:
We're lucky here in Reno. We don't get fleas. I don't know about ticks though, but in 15 years I've never seen one on me or my pets.:wave:

ticks

There is a new product out called Vectra 3D but you can only get it from a veterinarian, It repel and kills 4 species of ticks. It is labeled for Fleas, Ticks, and Mosquitoes. Also is good for those dogs that like to go swimming alot. It is effective even after bathing or swimming.

Latest posts

Back