Shaver Improvement Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy I don't get it.Our 165 has been workin fine with no mods but an elbow on the vent to keep it from steamin, and some extra chimney height..Bought two extra therm-o-disc thermostats just in case-they're still sitting on the shelf..blower's been working fine,just close the shutter a little during a warm spell..maybe set the temp down a hair..it maintains an almost constant 170-190 temp to the house...using a re-circ pump for the DHW seemed to help too..DHW is better than what the oil burner provided..and free...as for the chimney sweating under the roof,I don't know..been looking for it but nothing yet....could be a poorly sealed coil cover causing it...Just my 2 cents---J

I am happy with my 165 when its above 0 degrees outside it works fine. When it gets -25 and windy the furnace can't make enough heat and I think the main reason is it's not insulated good enough. The entire bottom of the water jacket exposed to -25? And a lesser complaint is the uninsulated door.

The lack of insulation underneath in a way isn't that big a deal insomuch is that's something I can fix myself (now that I am even aware of it, I wouldn't have even known about it if I read it in this or another forum)

I will know next winter if I will be able to recommend it to anyone or not, if insulating it helps as much as I am hoping it will I would probably still recommend it to someone who is a little bit handy

Blower mod

I want to do the blower mod but have pipes intruding into the room I need, So am going to use a blast gate used for woodworking dust collection instead of a flapper.Found a cheap solenoid on ebay.

projectsho89, your the fella I was speaking of earlier who canceled their shaver and bought a Natures Comfort. I looked on their website, looks like a shaver but alot nicer, how do you like it? is the entire firebox 3/8 thick? the tube and the endplates? also the waterjacket is thicker than a shaver, according to their website that is. I wish I knew about them sooner:cry:

projectsho89, your the fella I was speaking of earlier who canceled their shaver and bought a Natures Comfort. I looked on their website, looks like a shaver but alot nicer, how do you like it? is the entire firebox 3/8 thick? the tube and the endplates? also the waterjacket is thicker than a shaver, according to their website that is. I wish I knew about them sooner:cry:

Yeah, heavy plate steel. Nice unit although I could use one with a bigger firebox....

Big differences include nice build quality (looks like it was built by a pro, not a monkey on crystal meth), chimney goes almost to the bottom of the fire chamber, insulated door, no sucky, leaky cover for the hot water loop (marketing gimmick - dumb idea for the cost), real ash drawer, firebrick instead of a ready-to-warp grate, etc.

Ironically, it was an apparent ex-Shaver dealer out east that turned me on to them, I'd never heard of them before then

Well, that's what the hillbillies (and his sidekick) get for appearing incompetent in running a business......

Steve

Owners manuel

I sure would like to see one of those Shaver 41 page owner's manual.
Back in 06 there was only one model called Shaver's Hot Water Wood Furnace.
My manual is three regular size pieces of paper folded in half

Yeah, heavy plate steel. Nice unit although I could use one with a bigger firebox....

Big differences include nice build quality (looks like it was built by a pro, not a monkey on crystal meth),

Steve

LOL, My daily chuckle has taken place first thing in the AM:cheers:

Thanks ,the download worked fine.
Much more info than the 3 sheets of typing paper folded over I got .

What gets me is 41 pages,and I learned a lot more important info about the Shaver on here than in the 41 page manual.Just goes to show you how much good info is on this site,and how willing the members are to share.

water treatment

Talk to me about water treatment,what to use.
Until I got a handle on keeping water in it [mostly lost to steam]it's been impossible.so much make up water dilutes the treatment stuff'

Fellow Hoosier

Here is the link for the water treatment:

http://www.woodboilersolutions.com/

You just give them a call or email them and order a water sample kit, send them a fill water sample and then they send you 2 chemicals plus whatever else they think you need.

Excellent customer service there, they even get back to you very quickly.

Here is the link for the water treatment:

http://www.woodboilersolutions.com/

You just give them a call or email them and order a water sample kit, send them a fill water sample and then they send you 2 chemicals plus whatever else they think you need.

Excellent customer service there, they even get back to you very quickly.

...Good thing THAT service was out-sourced out of Salem, AR....

door insulation

I am brand new to this so bare with me... I purchased the Shaver 290 this year and it has been probably the smartest thing I have done. I agree that there are some short comings on this machine but I think it is pretty sound. My question is did putting insulation in the door help with the goo that builds up on the sill?

I am brand new to this so bare with me... I purchased the Shaver 290 this year and it has been probably the smartest thing I have done. I agree that there are some short comings on this machine but I think it is pretty sound. My question is did putting insulation in the door help with the goo that builds up on the sill?

nope

Well that stinks. My ashpan door has as much build up on it as the inside of the firebox. Everytime I open the door a gush of water and tar run down the front and gets all over the door and siding.

Well that stinks. My ashpan door has as much build up on it as the inside of the firebox. Everytime I open the door a gush of water and tar run down the front and gets all over the door and siding.

I am not getting that on mine.The only time i ever got water out the door is when the OWB is cooled down to 140ish.It hasnt been below 140 since the week i put it in,once i got the blower/aquastat mods done,it hasnt went below 170.What temps are you running the OWB at?

I haven't done any mods to it but I have the thermostat set at 165 and it is keeping my house at 70 degrees and my shop at 60 when I am out there. I turn it down when I come inside. My blower seems to cycle alright except when it was 0 to 10 degrees it was on most of the time.

Latest posts

Back