Log splitter pics what's yours look like?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipper1081

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This may sound crazy but I love looking at log splitters,Homemade & store bought. I really like looking a homemade ones the thought that people put in these are amazing.

I did a search & I could not find a thread of just log splitters pics (I am sure someoene will find one) so I am going to start one.

And yes you can post a pic of you & your splitting maul.:laugh:

Mine is a northern tool brand I have no idea the ton on it. I bought it off a guy I work with for $150. He found it in the corner of his barn when he bought the place. all I had to do is change the oil in the tank.

splitter002.jpg

logsplitter008.jpg

Here's my splitter. I got it off of CL for $550.00. It's a bit weak in the splitting psi department so I have some work to do. I'm the third owner. This one is designed to run vertically. However, I've ran it in the position that it's in and found it to work okay. I'm sure it will change over the years as I get some wild ideas!:greenchainsaw:

You did very well getting that one for $150.00!

attachment.php

You might be headed for a whole lot trouble, someone may throw you to the wolves I mean threads..After you'll have to see a Optometrists your eyes will be tired ..Lol

Mine is a northern tool brand I have no idea the ton on it. I bought it off a guy I work with for $150. He found it in the corner of his barn when he bought the place. all I had to do is change the oil in the tank.

The only way you could have beat that was if he gave it to you. I was going to say that "some people have all the luck" but then all of the super good deals that I have had in my life started to flood my memory.

Here are two of mine.

The first one is an old yardman. It has split 10 or more cords a year for the last 20 years, some years more, some years less. I bought it over 10 years ago for $300 and it was well used when I bought it. I have beefed up the wedge and replaced the hoses and valve. The pump is on the list for replacement in the near future. It has been the best $300 I have ever spent. The 8 horse Tecumseh engine always starts on the first or second pull. I was not a fan of Tecumseh motors until I ended up with this one. It will out last me.

attachment.php

The best part is the auto-pilot controls. His number one job is to keep his eyes on my hands at all times.
attachment.php

I picked up this troy-bilt set up last year for $800. In addition to the tiller attachment I also got the dozer blade. It's not the fastest splitter, but it is self-propelled. I was going to attach an electric motor to the splitter and run it on 240 but I just can't bring myself to alter it so it is going to remain factory design. the tiller gets a major workout all year long, tilling garden and pushing snow.
attachment.php

Nice set up you have there! Way to get the kid(s) involved! Have you tried raising the splitter up say like on auto ramps and leave the hitch attached to a hitch? My FIL and I like running that configuration.

The only way you could have beat that was if he gave it to you. I was going to say that "some people have all the luck" but then all of the super good deals that I have had in my life started to flood my memory.

Here are two of mine.

The first one is an old yardman. It has split 10 or more cords a year for the last 20 years, some years more, some years less. I bought it over 10 years ago for $300 and it was well used when I bought it. I have beefed up the wedge and replaced the hoses and valve. The pump is on the list for replacement in the near future. It has been the best $300 I have ever spent. The 8 horse Tecumseh engine always starts on the first or second pull. I was not a fan of Tecumseh motors until I ended up with this one. It will out last me.

attachment.php

The best part is the auto-pilot controls. His number one job is to keep his eyes on my hands at all times.
attachment.php

I picked up this troy-bilt set up last year for $800. In addition to the tiller attachment I also got the dozer blade. It's not the fastest splitter, but it is self-propelled. I was going to attach an electric motor to the splitter and run it on 240 but I just can't bring myself to alter it so it is going to remain factory design. the tiller gets a major workout all year long, tilling garden and pushing snow.
attachment.php

Troy tilller-splitter

Old Goat.. I've never seen a troy bilt tiller setup splitter before, what year was it made ?

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

That Troy-built is wicked looking. That is a genius little setup. How does it drive? Do you need a special endorsement on your driving license to operate it?:clap:

Zipper1081..For $150.00.That was one great deal...Why can't I find deals like that..Lol

Old Goat.. I've never seen a troy bilt tiller setup splitter before, what year was it made ?

The tiller is a 1984 model. The original owner bought the splitter the same year. The splitter had a price tag of $1200 in 1984.

Here is another advantage to the PTO driven troy-bilt splitter (not to be confused with the current troy-bilt splitters)
attachment.php

You can ride it to the job site.

Just me thinking out loud! What about adding a riding platform kinda like in the picture? Maybe a bit farther back. I drew that one a bit close to the handles.

attachment.php

Version 2?

attachment.php

Last edited:

That Troy-built is wicked looking. That is a genius little setup. How does it drive? Do you need a special endorsement on your driving license to operate it?:clap

If you look closely you can see the pump that is attached to the dog clutch at the rear of the tiller, two hoses are coming out of it. Anyone that has owned the Horse model troy-bilt knows what I mean about the dog clutch. There is a small hydro reservoir on the other side of the splitter just below the valve.

I have a CDL drivers license. I have all of the endorsements, air brakes, haz-mat, doubles-triples, school bus, etc. The only endorsement I do not have is for motorcycle (I want to live to a ripe old age). I think that I am covered. It might fall under an ATV classification, anyone 16 and older can operate it. Might need a helmet if you were under 18.

Nice set up you have there! Way to get the kid(s) involved! Have you tried raising the splitter up say like on auto ramps and leave the hitch attached to a hitch? My FIL and I like running that configuration.

I split some large rounds with the yardman. I like it close to the ground. I will pile up bark and small pieces of wood to make a ramp and roll the rounds up onto the splitter. I know that many have an aching back just looking at me split but my problem is lifting. I will knell down for the smaller stuff.

Here is the splitting crew hard at work last year.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The other half of the crew.
attachment.php

I wish we would have had a splitter attached to our troy tiller back in the 70s and early 80s, it would have made life a lot easier on the farm. But heck we already had a ax..

Just me thinking out loud! What about adding a riding platform kinda like in the picture? Maybe a bit farther back. I drew that one a bit close to the handles.

Great minds think alike, no offense intended. I have thought about a sulky type set-up, even a removable seat that will slide onto the I beam and can be removed by pulling a pin. These ideas are on the back burner though, in 20 years or so if I am lucky, too many things that need to be done higher on the list.

Back