Baptized the new splitter today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been itching to try it out for almost two weeks. Troy Bilt 27 ton. I was busy visiting wife in rehab, cutting more locust, bad weather etc but finally got to it today.

002-1.jpg

Great machine as far as splitting goes. 27 ton and didn't refuse once even shearing crotches and knots. The design, on the other hand, sucks. One side operation only (armature is offset to one side), the wheel on the operator's side is EXACTLY where your right foot needs to be (it would also be partly in the way in the verticle position)

17 sec cycle time but I couldn't keep up with it. That thang worked me to death and did in 10 minutes what my old homebuilt would have taken an hour or more.

More waiting for processing just inside the pasture gate. I couldn't get up to the wood piles as to wet and soft. Gonna have to move every stick somehow.

003-3.jpg

What is the quality of pictures I am posting? I changed monitors and ever since, I have had to adjust the exposure to lighten them up so they show decent on my monitor.

Harry K

Been itching to try it out for almost two weeks. Troy Bilt 27 ton. I was busy visiting wife in rehab, cutting more locust, bad weather etc but finally got to it today.

002-1.jpg

Great machine as far as splitting goes. 27 ton and didn't refuse once even shearing crotches and knots. The design, on the other hand, sucks. One side operation only (armature is offset to one side), the wheel on the operator's side is EXACTLY where your right foot needs to be (it would also be partly in the way in the verticle position)

17 sec cycle time but I couldn't keep up with it. That thang worked me to death and did in 10 minutes what my old homebuilt would have taken an hour or more.

More waiting for processing just inside the pasture gate. I couldn't get up to the wood piles as to wet and soft. Gonna have to move every stick somehow.

003-3.jpg

What is the quality of pictures I am posting? I changed monitors and ever since, I have had to adjust the exposure to lighten them up so they show decent on my monitor.

Harry K

That is a great view you have there:cheers:

I love my TB 27 Ton. I haven't found anything it won't eat up. I agree the layout could be a little better. I'm currently designing some sort of table for the opposite side of the operator so when you split big rounds the pieces don't fall off the log cradle and on the ground. Great Pics, beautiful view in that last one!

What happened to the other half of the I-beam? Only kidding! From the looks of it, you will have no trouble keeping the splitter busy, great pictures. It also looks like your a couple of years ahead on firewood.

Harry, thanks for the report, I would love to have one of those type splitters, to pull behind my 4 wheeler, or take to my dad's when he needs help splitting. We have a splitter on the backhoe, but sometimes you just want to split a few rounds and not go to the trouble of getting a bunch of stuff out. I am guessing those are over 1K new?

Hope you wife gets better soon.

you live in some great country, harry.

i'd do anything to live in country like that. the old lady, however..........

Troy built splitters are great

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i78.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/Richard_A_2006/logging011.flv">

Re: the view. This is in the middle of the Palouse - rolling hills that were built by wind/dust back at the end of the ice ages. Hills are in the shape of sand dunes, gentle slope to the NW, very steep face on the NE. This was all prairie type ecology. Just grass except for the canyon bottoms (pine/spruce) or creek bottoms (mostly Willow) until the settlers broke to farm land. One of the richest farm areas going for winter wheat.

Re: Cost. $1399 (my cost $1520 after tax). There is another built just like it (White). They are both built in the same factory and only difference is the paint and decals. I found mine listed in several different stores in Spokane all that the same price.

Re: my 'stock'. I was giving directions to my wife's Home Health care worker the other day. He asked "is that anywhere near the place with 50 cords of firewood?" Good eye there, I don't know about the 50 but am sure it reaches at least 40.

New find today: This machine is advertised as 'Professional use". Then why the H E double toothpicks didn't they put a gas tank on it? Smallest tank of any of my tools, even less than my 5 hp briggs engines. Filled it twice so far and haven't done all that much.

Also: Instructions say 'oil the area the slide moves on both in front and back with engine oil DO NOT USE GREASE". I found that trying to pour out of a can only wastes oil - dug out my old man's antique pump oil can - works a dream for that purpose.

Harry K

Wife's comments about your firewood pile...

Is he mentally ill? Is he obsessed? Is he married? Is she leaving him? :ices_rofl:

Nice pile of firewood ya got there.

Ian

If they had made the beam longer for balance reason and tank wider that wheel would not be in your way Harry. Nice looking splitter none the less. I can't believe you are pushing the wedge now.:) I know you like to do fab, just cut the end of the tank and add what you need to get the wheel away from you.

Also: Instructions say 'oil the area the slide moves on both in front and back with engine oil DO NOT USE GREASE". I found that trying to pour out of a can only wastes oil - dug out my old man's antique pump oil can - works a dream for that purpose.
Harry K

My splitter from Northern tool actually has grease zerks on the bottom side of the slide for lubrication. I should mention it "did" have zerks, but apparently they rattled off after a few uses. I always figured grease would attract wood particles, bark, etc, and it does. But I have noticed that the slide will rattle a bit on the return stroke, when the beam gets a bit dry. I like the oil idea, I think I'll try that instead of grease.

I think they are breeding during the night ;). If I cut everything I said I would this year those stacks will reach the rediculous...oh! they already are! I have rights to..umm, 3 locusts for Kaiser, 3 for Rick, 15 for Ron. 3 huge Willows that I need to fulfill a longstanding promise to a farmer..

All of that showing is locust that I am stockpiling for my 'retirement' when I am too feeble to cut anymore. Locust just doesn't rot. My 74th is coming up tomorrow and that 'wooding' is all that keeps me going.

I have already been eyeballing how the splitter could be cut apart and built right as well as adding an 'out feed' table. It could stand to be a couple inches higher to suit me.

Harry K

Beautiful country .
Nice pile(s) of wood .
Your picture shows up very well on my monitor...which tends to darken pictures(for some reason ).
Hope the wife is better soon .
I think that cutting wood (and all that entails) keeps us old farts in good shape .I'll be 70 this summer and I out run a 35 year old while ice fishing for walleyes yesterday .We were racing to see who could get to a "fish on" rod first .
:hmm3grin2orange:

How's your Troy Bilt doing no a days? I had a new one delivered 6 days ago and I dont know why the thing isn't moving now. It starts but it's not pumping.

Little pissed at Lowes. Extremely pissed I have to deal with this after 1 hour of use!!

Back