Log splitter pics what's yours look like?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scottish splitter. And a question.

Here's one I made earlier.

I'm now building a towed version and find that I can get a Haldex pump and the other related bits much cheaper from Surplus Center USA. Finding these parts in UK is almost impossible and if I can get them they are 3 times USA price!.

One question - can anyone tell me which size of mounting adaptor bracket (the adaptor not the Lovejoy)is needed to fit a 16GPM haldex pump on to a 9hp Honda GX 270 engine.

Bear with me it's my first pic post.

Here is my Fat Dog splitter that I put together last year. I pretty much copied tw-5 in my own way. 5x30 cylinder, 22gpm pump, working pressure set at 2900 psi, 18 hp(OVER KILL & GAS HOG), 21"x1/4" pipe x 20" hydro. tank holds 25 gal., gas tank is a 30lbs. freon tank, beam is 40lbs. per foot 9/16 flange, northern tool 12" wedge, also a slip-on 4 way wedge. Working hieght of 32". The splitter is just over 14' long and 6.5' wide w/out the log table and weights in at 1300lbs.

The second pic is my wood pile in progress. Before I began burning this year the pile was 40'x24'x6', now there is 6 rows gone.

302qv04.jpg

359y9nq.jpg
Chuck Diesel I really like your homemade splitter ..
I built mine last spring , but want to upgrade it.. (soon as the snow disappears). Gonna put a heavier axle and wheels on it and I need to build a larger Hydro tank...mine gets pretty warm...I only have a 4 gal tank supplying a 16 g/m Barnes.
Could you post close up pictures of the tank you built from the 21" 1/4 pipe ?
I was thinking of fabricating a tank using a 30 pound propane tank .
Thanks
BV

I fabricated it. It is removable, but has never been off the machine since installation. If you make one, make it about half again the width of the one on mine, so the log doesn't vibrate off as easily.

It is very handy, especially with large red oak rounds.

Taken from another thread:

My father in law found this in a field somewhere and it was given to him.

splitter-1.jpg

The motor wouldn't turn over but a nieghbor had a junk riding mower we were able to get started. Problem was the motor on the splitter had a horizontal shaft and the replacement out of the mower had a vertical shaft. We built this cradle to mount the new motor. Aslo built a mount to retrofit the fuel tank from the mower.

splitter-3.jpg

Built a dash and used the keyswitch, throttle cable, choke cable, and light switch off the mower. Also mounted a light!

splitter-2.jpg

Everything used was recylcled from the mower and the steel was all drop from another project. She's ugly but it's hard to argue with free!

I fabricated it. It is removable, but has never been off the machine since installation. If you make one, make it about half again the width of the one on mine, so the log doesn't vibrate off as easily.

It is very handy, especially with large red oak rounds.

The problem is I have no way to built somesthing like that. I would have to take it to a fab shop & they would charge me a arm & leg. What would you charge to build me one & ship it to me?

Mine is an old Sears 5 hp that I bought at a farm auction for $225. We had a flood in 1999 that ruined the engine, so I replaced it with a Honda. The wheels were the little hard rubber lawnmower type, so I shortened the axle from a motorcycle trailer and mounted that to get it off the ground some, then used a piece of channel iron hinged on a bolt to hold the front up.

attachment.php

Mine is an old Sears 5 hp that I bought at a farm auction for $225. We had a flood in 1999 that ruined the engine, so I replaced it with a Honda. The wheels were the little hard rubber lawnmower type, so I shortened the axle from a motorcycle trailer and mounted that to get it off the ground some, then used a piece of channel iron hinged on a bolt to hold the front up.

attachment.php

Larry,

That's just like mine! Didier sold their models under the name Craftsman. We were just using ours today. I would love to add a log holder. Do you think they could handle a four-way splittler head???

Shari

Shari, I don't think so. Maybe with the soft cottonwood I split, or with something straight-grained like cherry or hickory, but mine stalls out if it hits something really tough.

The problem is I have no way to built somesthing like that. I would have to take it to a fab shop & they would charge me a arm & leg. What would you charge to build me one & ship it to me?

If you look close at the pictures, you will see that the brackets welded to the beam, so even if I made the shelf for you, you would have to find a shop to weld the brackets to the beam.

If you look close at the pictures, you will see that the brackets welded to the beam, so even if I made the shelf for you, you would have to find a shop to weld the brackets to the beam.

OK here is the funny part I have a welder and I can weld. LOL I just have no way to cut out the brackets & the top plate. Give me some ideas.

Back