Solution for loose bar mounting studs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay, here goes. My little Solo trim saw has had the single bar mount stud work it's way loose. I go to tighten it, I put the nut on it tight and turn it in. Only problem is I can't get it to tighten down, I think the threads inside the casing are partially stripped.

Could I smear epoxy all over the stud threads and twist it in? I was thinking of cleaning the inside of the threads with carb cleaner and Q-tips, and doing the same to the stud threads. I really don't want to have to replace the whole casing.

Oops, wrong forum.......my bad.

Replace stud. Or case.

I suppose you could try and epoxy the whole schmearin' thing together but considering the time and effort I don't think its worth it, besides, unless its your much hated BIL running it, do you really want to risk bar/chain failure?

Dunno, jest a thought.

Cheers!

Serge

most likely a little sold trim saw will not have enough metal for a helicoil.

best solution is a stepped stud...

The threads on the metal stud itself are fine, it's the tapping in the plastic case that is getting stripped, hence my idea of epoxying it.

i doubt the epoxy will hold up.

what about adding one of those flat nuts to the opposite side (if there is room)? tighten that against the stud with loctite so it holds it firmly in the case.

Gotta agree on the JB weld. Clean everything real good and let it cure a little extra. Don't go gorilla when tightening the bar.

Gotta agree on the JB weld. Clean everything real good and let it cure a little extra. Don't go gorilla when tightening the bar.

I was thinking of cleaning everything good with carb cleaner and compressed air. I had loaned the saw to a tree buddy a few weeks ago and I hadnt had the chain off since I got it back, I usually sharpen it on the saw, but the other day it threw the chain and thats when I found the bar stud problem, I bet he cranked on that nut.

Back