What can a little 026 do to your leg?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A chainsaw, big or small, is still a chainsaw!

Hope he doesnt lose any mobility due to the accident. Best of luck to him.

Honestly, when starting at my current employers, chaps were the rule, 100% of the time, any time running a saw on the ground. I hated it, had never worn chaps a day in my life, and had spent many hours behind a saw. But......almost 2 years later, and its become such a habit, I no longer look at it as such a huge hassle. Its just the way its done. You almost feel naked without them on when holding a saw.

Just a matter of making it a habit thats the hard part.

Hey Jeff, that comment reminds me of a guy that works for my company that thinks that a 338xp will just nick you.

Absolutely, any saw can end anything from a day to your life.

Honestly, when starting at my current employers, chaps were the rule, 100% of the time, any time running a saw on the ground.

same policy here....same policy as if you're in a moving truck, seat belt is on...100% of the time

Hey Jeff, that comment reminds me of a guy that works for my company that thinks that a 338xp will just nick you.

Absolutely, any saw can end anything from a day to your life.

That brings up a good albiet somewhat morbid question:

How many people are killed each year by the saw and only the saw, directly? I am assumint that cut femoral arteries could be big, necks, or perhaps falling onto/into a running saw and being cut in half.

(...and for example. indirectly being killed by the saw cold be an infection that the victim ultimately dies from.)

I cut wood w/ a few guys last year on one of our lots and they would make fun of me for wearing chaps.

They can make fun all they want, running a saw w/ out chaps does not make you cool,or, tougher. It would really drive me nuts.

We don't allow any cutting outside the bucket without chaps. Inside the bucket we don't even allow starting the saw in the bucket. I've seen a few rookie trimmers do it because there is room with a top handle.

We don't allow any cutting outside the bucket without chaps. Inside the bucket we don't even allow starting the saw in the bucket. I've seen a few rookie trimmers do it because there is room with a top handle.

When I'm in the bucket I've got all the room in the world to drop start my 335, or 365 if I'm goin large. I would never start a saw while it is inside a bucket.

A chainsaw, big or small, is still a chainsaw!

Honestly, when starting at my current employers, chaps were the rule, 100% of the time, any time running a saw on the ground. I hated it, had never worn chaps a day in my life, and had spent many hours behind a saw. But......almost 2 years later, and its become such a habit, I no longer look at it as such a huge hassle. Its just the way its done. You almost feel naked without them on when holding a saw.

Just a matter of making it a habit thats the hard part.

Exactly, if I don't have my chaps on, even when doing minor ground work, I honestly feel like somethings missing.

From the time I first started as a ground hand, my boss taught me ALWAYS to wear them. If I didn't... he'd FREAK at me. And I'm glad he did. Always wear them, always will. I haven't had a close call yet, but I've seen a lot where the saw dug into saw pants. The guys would have a few scrapes, but that's nothing compared to this accident.

Safety first. :monkey:

Back