I need a chainsaw related class project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustmaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The assignment is to make a working computer model of somthing for engineering class. It is about a two week project, most of the class grade.
Any ideas?
I think this would be a really good excuse to build a dyno but....

I would do a computer model of stratocharged engine technology vs "traditional" technology. And then do a piece on how the strato's are supposedly better. Use the word "greener" alot, and you'll get a better grade. I think you have to be a tree hugger to be a prof.
Or maybe you could do piston port versus reed valve operating theory?
How about float type carburetor vs diaphragm, or maybe just a model of one of those, and show the fluid motion as the carb operates.

Good luck. I hope we can see the results on here.

Maybe a computer model of kickback dynamics?
Or how a chain cuts using different setups (ie. skip, chisel, dull blah blah), chip removal?
Dunno (first coffee lol), sounds like fun project and hope you post it after yer done no matter what :)

:cheers:

Serge

strato vs piston port

I'd like to see the stratocharged vs piston port write up-leading edge technology, green, etc.:clap:

I would do a computer model of stratocharged engine technology vs "traditional" technology. And then do a piece on how the strato's are supposedly better. Use the word "greener" alot, and you'll get a better grade. I think you have to be a tree hugger to be a prof.
How about float type carburetor vs diaphragm, or maybe just a model of one of those, and show the fluid motion as the carb operates.

LOL that is good. Yup, using the word "green" will get you lotsa chicks these days, and good grades to boot.

But seriously, I would like to learn more about how a reed valve engine works, also, the relative fuel burn efficiency of reed valve vs. piston port moters. Good luck, have fun! I would welcome the chance to go back to school, now that I am mature enough not to squander the opportunity......:dizzy:

I'd like to see the stratocharged vs piston port write up-leading edge technology, green, etc.:clap:

My prof told me to do it on something "embarassingly small"

I don't think he is very green. He said this mornig that he wished we could have a keg when we do our presintations

How about 1 ring vs 2 ring pistons, and their associated benefits? I'm sure you could model the heat transfer properties of each.

Or maybe round and square ground chains, and do an animation of the cutter removing wood?

I'm full of ideas. I REALLY don't miss school, but it was fun while it lasted. Being in FLA didn't hurt either. :cheers:

My prof told me to do it on something "embarassingly small"

I don't think he is very green. He said this mornig that he wished we could have a keg when we do our presintations

For just two weeks, how about just modeling the 2 stroke thermal cycle with animation? Strato or non.

Modeling strato would be cool... i'll go ask him about that.

6,7,8 pin sprockets, with chain velocity shown and cutting speed through an imaginary hardwood demonstrated? I cut a load of oak this weekend with my 020t because my 041 threw a chain and cut my hands up, interesting to see how it cuts just as fast - until you lean on it, then it stalls out...

For just two weeks, how about just modeling the 2 stroke thermal cycle with animation? Strato or non.

In addition, finally answer the question as to whether a muffler mod increases or decreases cylinder temperature. You should be able to model the heat transfer through-out the cycle and be able to input different fuel and exhaust rate parameters.

2 weeks? Entire class?

I say give them each a chainsaw (donated by stihl of course) and 20 cords to cut and split... that would be say 600 cords... They could skip PE...

Latest posts

Back