propane ...the other gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me, I hate the smell of propane. Love the smell of 2 stroke though! I bet its a major pain in the rear to fill with fuel.

My son has a book on farm tractors and it shows some from the 50s and 60s that ran on propane. I also worked on some forklifts that ran on propane. It burns cleaner than gasoline. I think biggest prob would be refueling. Its just too easy to pour gas from can. But they are very cool. :cheers:

The local propane delivery trucks run on propane. A driver told me he dreads going up any hills. No torque.

The local propane delivery trucks run on propane. A driver told me he dreads going up any hills. No torque.

It could be that they use gas engines modified to run on propane. I know you can add propane to a diesel, but I don't know if you can run it just on propane. If they use a gas engine in their trucks, that would explain the lack of torque compared to a diesel.

I bet its a major pain in the rear to fill with fuel.

I think biggest prob would be refueling. Its just too easy to pour gas from can. But they are very cool. :cheers:

If you can't figure out how to screw on a 16 oz bottle, you probably shouldn't try and learn now.:greenchainsaw: Getting fuel into a saw with these stupid new nozzles is a challenge...

If you can't figure out how to screw on a 16 oz bottle, you probably shouldn't try and learn now.:greenchainsaw: Getting fuel into a saw with these stupid new nozzles is a challenge...

Ummm dude, wise up. Going to a gas station for gas is simple. Going to get propane isnt always simple. Its not always close by in rural areas like gasoline and 2 stroke oil and accesories.

Being a :newbie: and talking a bunch of horse crap isnt too good of an idea if you like this place.

Ummm dude, wise up. Going to a gas station for gas is simple. Going to get propane isnt always simple. Its not always close by in rural areas like gasoline and 2 stroke oil and accesories.

Being a :newbie: and talking a bunch of horse crap isnt too good of an idea if you like this place.

Lighten up. Just having a little fun, but guess you missed it. Let me know if you can't find the bottles of propane. I sell propane & propane accessories.:D

Hank Hill

Going to a gas station is simple, but so is stocking up on propane from the hardware store or your dealer if you know you are going to need it. It is no different than stocking up on quality mix and and B/C oil. You can't get that at the gas station and we all seem to manage.

I think the new guy was just joking around and he did have a point.:cheers:

Those canisters might not be easy to find in rural areas, but are otherwise readily available at most sporting goods stores, hardware stores and a lot of department and discount stores. And they are simple to screw into place.

What I don't like about the idea is that those canisters tend to discharge poorly the longer they're used -- they cover up w/frost & need hot water poured over them to make 'em perform optimally. Plus, as they get low on gas, they also perform worse. So you wind up w/a bunch of 1/4 full canisters sitting around . . . At least that's the case w/stoves & BBQs that use those things.

Mark

Home Depot is now carrying a propane powered trimmer. It takes the standard little torch/camp fuel bottles. They are available practically anywhere--grocery stores, Wal Mart, camping stores, etc. etc. Advantages are no mixing fuels, much cleaner burning, and they're quieter.

Back