Topped my first tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoPanhandle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Certainly not as big as the other pine, a few threads down.... but this one did make me a bit nervous

Roughly 45ft tall, and less than 25 ft from the house in one direction, less than 20ft from the power lines in the other, and very close to two other trees I wanted to avoid molesting.

This is the best pre-picture I could find. It is the tall, but skinny pine right behind the birch.

I rented a man-lift from work, de-limbed it on the way up, and fell it in sections on the way down.

Unfortunate I had to remove it, as I really liked it and it was very healthy. But it was a health concern for both the wife and I. We were VERY allergic to the pollen it dumps every spring.

pine01.jpg

pine02.jpg

pine03.jpg

pine04.jpg

pine05.jpg

pine06.jpg

pine07.jpg

I know all about power lines.

Ive operated many knuckle boom trucks delivering building materials.

I was well beyond the 15' mark :) Pictures make it look much closer.

you no that a lift like that is a no no by the power lines it can jump 10' climb it next time :cheers: tom trees

Looks to me like a single phase distribution line. Probabaly no more than 25 kv. Worked around lots of them, my personal limit on that voltage is 4'. With a tested tool, 1-1/2'. Power does not jump from distribution lines very far, if at all. Power jumps from transmission lines, like over 100 kv and up. It is called "flash over".

True, Clearance, but I wouldn't advocate working around them with that type of manlift. It doesn't look like it has the dielectric rated boom.....

How much was the manlift? Did you get any quotes for the tree to get it on the ground cuz that don't look tough. 15 or 20 minutes topps

90% of my being nervous was due to the lift. :dizzy:

Im not afraid of heights, but that lift certainly tested me!! They sway and bob BAD, even when you are smooth with the controls.

I rented it from work at my 50% off employee rate. Payed a whole $20 for the day. Normal is just $40. WAY less than any tree removal company would quote you. And it took me less than an hour from set-up to clean-up :chainsaw:

Made this job very safe though!

90% of my being nervous was due to the lift. :dizzy:

Im not afraid of heights, but that lift certainly tested me!! They sway and bob BAD, even when you are smooth with the controls.

I rented it from work at my 50% off employee rate. Payed a whole $20 for the day. Normal is just $40. WAY less than any tree removal company would quote you. And it took me less than an hour from set-up to clean-up :chainsaw:

Made this job very safe though!

Yup you got off cheap sure glad it did not cost you your life like many other diy treework does.

Looks to me like a single phase distribution line. Probabaly no more than 25 kv. Worked around lots of them, my personal limit on that voltage is 4'. With a tested tool, 1-1/2'. Power does not jump from distribution lines very far, if at all. Power jumps from transmission lines, like over 100 kv and up. It is called "flash over".

most single phase here is no greater than 7200 volts usually it was not a flashover hazard but if he goofed and got the tree top into the lines he was not insulated.

Several good points on the lack of safety precautions in this scenario, gentlemen.

And I am almost hesitant to point out that this tree was taken out due to allergy concerns re pine pollen....did anybody look at the background in the pictures???

Sylvia

Several good points on the lack of safety precautions in this scenario, gentlemen.

And I am almost hesitant to point out that this tree was taken out due to allergy concerns re pine pollen....did anybody look at the background in the pictures???

Sylvia

Yup but he is going to be very busy with that machine so he needs a brain bucket,safety glasses and fall restraint for the forest ya know:rolleyes:

Don't care for the manlift for topping. One thing I would have done though is to have put a line on the tree just for insurance. It doesn't take much to tug a tree in the right direction. I have topped many trees that boom trucks or manlifts could not begin to reach. Unless I am completely away from any structures or wires, i put a line on them. It is just for peace of mind.

Sylvia

This particular tree dumped pollen right into the front windows, which stay open for ventilation 24 hrs a day during the spring and summer.

We actually had pollen build up on the hardwood floors INSIDE the house.

Not to mention, this is the only pine I have say-so about. So it went bye-bye.

Believe me, if you had allergies anywhere near as bad as I do to these pines, you would understand. It is 2-3 weeks out of the year, just when they are dumping the yellow nasty. It gets so bad that my eyes nearly weld themselves shut. Rest of the year, no problems.

I've topped a few trees over the years. I'm no pro-arborist, but I am hesitant on using man-lifts to do tree jobs. If I can take care of a tree via roped climbing, or in your case, a flipline and lanyard would have been a safer option than placing a manlift precariously close to the house and powerlines...although I too feel as though you looked plenty far enough from them. I just hate using man-lifts.

Btw, when I did construction, OSHA required us to wear full body harnesses in those lifts. Just so ya know.:)

I have used them on large properties when I have many storm damaged trees to clean up and have room to maneuver with one. Never used one for a removal though, just prunes. They make sense when you have many trees to prune but you need to have good weather to keep from mucking up the ground. We actually built a platform and secured it to lift forks on a 40' lift. I used my saddle and looped my flipcord around part of the lift though. Best to be safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back