New 440 and new to site!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawJunkie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking around this site for a month or so and figured it was time to join up. There is alot of good info to be found here! I mainly cut firewood and have been using a 390 and an 028 Wood Boss before that. Decided I needed a larger saw to take some large oaks down and found a new 440 so I bought it today. I knew it was an older saw as the dealer had it awhile but not sure exactly when it was made. It has rubber AV bushings instead of springs. Failed to notice this until getting home. Also does not have the summer/winter preheat shutter which really doesn't matter to me. Stamped into the underside on the handle is 1128/02. Is that a date code? I haven't used it yet as I wanted to find out some more about my new toy. Any info would be appreciated.

Jim

Nope, no shutter. Unless you run a 441, the 440's rubber anti vibe is fine and smooth imo. I prefered the rubber mounts until I grabbed a 441 but can use both with no problems. The serial # holds the date info and a dealer will have to look that up for ya.

Congrats on the new purchase, run a few tanks through her and get the DP cover or mod the muffler, they are pretty choked up from the factory. It is going to put your 390 to shame.:chainsaw:

Good pick on the 440, real good saw. DP cover is a must, but I'd run the saw and get through the break-in time first. The cover is a direct bolt on, easy fix...

Hey Man,
Welcome to the site. Hang on to all the cash you can cause that was the first of the many saws you'll be buying. You better beleive this CAD thing it will get you real bad. Did me. Good luck and saw safe.

What's the scoop on the DP cover? I am green when it comes to modding saws.

The DP cover replaces your oem cover and adds another port for exhaust to escape, the most simple muffler mod out. If you feel you need more area just open up the front port with a flat file.

Here is the cover on another 440. Pay no attention to the yellow circle.....
attachment.php

Here is a standard DP cover and one done with a flat file.
attachment.php

If you decide to do either one, have your dealer tach the saw to make sure it's not running too lean. 13,500-13,800 rpm is a good number.

look on ebay for 044/440 dp mufflers

do you have dremel? if so that factory port can easily flow twice as much as it does now.

but i bet that saw is screaming with not mods.

im one of those people who mods everything, i just built my first 044 and left it completly stock right down to the stock muffler and man the thing realy runs very good.

Okay. So where to you get/order these DP covers at?

@ your Stihl dealer, order Stiihl part number # 1128 140 0801

It fits right on the front of the muffler in place of the stock cover. No other parts needed.

BTW: Congrats on the saw. New 440s are very hard to find now. Many of us like them better than the 441. The old guard... I have an 044 myself (older model number, but the same saw). Many loggers here loved them.

Thanks for the help guys. I was going to get a 460 but when I found this 440 brand spankin' new I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully today after work I will have enough daylight left to get her out for a test.

look at the pic of the 660 stock port. see they little hole. this can opend up almost to where the front cover bolts on and it an also be lowere and raised. were talkn huge amounts of gain right there

might even be able to do alot of it with rat tail file or chain filer

Back