I'm looking at buying a 394 XP. Any feedback?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerchBanger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a 394 XP, but know nothing more about the saw than can be learned from the factory specs, ect.. Any information from owners /operators of the saw would be helpful. Thanks!

I'm considering purchasing a 394 XP, but know nothing more about the saw than can be learned from the factory specs, ect.. Any information from owners /operators of the saw would be helpful. Thanks!

What do you want to know?

It's a big, heavy saw with gobs of torque that brings big grins to anyone that runs it.

I bought mine new in 1994. It has never done anything but perform flawless every time I've used it and it has been used alot. Still my favorite:chainsaw:.

Rich

Monster of a saw!!!!!!! 36" .63 guage bar and chain combo in 40"+ shagbark hickory no problem!!
:chainsaw:

The 394 is old school. Stock it has tons of torque to run big big bars. Anything over about 36 inch and you can really tell. The clutch and the chain break make it a little had to work on, but they're reliable and a good way to go. If you are going to run a saw for a living get a 395, to get a lot lighter saw. Otherwise, yeah buy it the 394 is a beast.

Buy it, or give some body else a good price :)
I like mine, havent got to use it much for firewood duty yet, but makes good cookies. I have been offered good money for it quite a few times. It is heavy but cuts good, mines only got a 24 on it now. But JT78 has a 42 on his and likes it alot.

The 394 is old school. Stock it has tons of torque to run big big bars. Anything over about 36 inch and you can really tell. The clutch and the chain break make it a little had to work on, but they're reliable and a good way to go. If you are going to run a saw for a living get a 395, to get a lot lighter saw. Otherwise, yeah buy it the 394 is a beast.

???

Ive only had my 394 for a couple weeks but its a big saw, especially with a long bar on it, its a monster it wore me out. Great power. Going cutting in 7 hours taking Motrin first this time.

I bought mine used and tore it all apart and ported it and let me tell you that saw is a beast. Heavy but let me tell you that thing cuts like gang busters. It always makes me smile ear to ear. Great saws.

Correction JT78 has a 395. Main reason I like mine is that it will outsaw Dads 084, he has gone from a 36 to a 25" bar to try to out cut me, and now he is lookin for a 8 or 9 pin

The 394 is a monster of a saw even in stock form. Very impressive. They are very similiar to the current 395. The crank has a different taper and thus uses a different flywheel. The 394 crank is actually larger. The 394 also uses a different intake setup, so the cylinder is actually different as well. All of the other parts of the saws will interchange.

The 394 is a monster of a saw even in stock form. Very impressive. They are very similiar to the current 395. The crank has a different taper and thus uses a different flywheel. The 394 crank is actually larger. The 394 also uses a different intake setup, so the cylinder is actually different as well. All of the other parts of the saws will interchange.

How did you ever make out with yours? Any videos of it. Also I think I remember a thread were you put a 044 carb on a 026. I have an 026 coming my way and I am looking to get it to REALLY RUN. Kind of a couple shade off from what I am used to but of well it will have to do.

Back