Old Mclean Steam Saw Mill!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Took a tour of this saw mill the other day, is in the Alberni Vally in British Columbia Canada. It is a old Steam Powered Saw mill, that was last used in 1969 I think. Now today it runs again, cutting timber for a heritage attraction, and they now actually sell lumber from it, I assume the proceeds go to pay to keep it running. Very interesting history here. You can go here to read about it, I think there is even a video of it. http://www.alberniheritage.com/mclean-mill/welcome-mclean-steam-sawmill

And the way we got up there was to take a ride on a old Steam train that was built in 1929, and restored and put into service in 2001. Here. http://www.alberniheritage.com/alberni-pacific-railway/welcome-alberni-pacific-steam-railway

Here are some pics.

Log coming out of the log pond, being winched up into the mill
attachment.php

Log bunk, and big blades, bottom blade is 50" and top is 54" I think.
attachment.php

Log being loaded onto the bunk.
attachment.php

View of Blades.
attachment.php

Going to first cut.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Measuring device, not sure on how the scale works.
attachment.php

In the cut.
attachment.php

End of the cut.
attachment.php

Log rotated.
attachment.php

Adjusting the cut, the lever in his left had, he pumps it which turns some gears, and it acts like a ratchet, and the log gets jacked out.
attachment.php

Great thread!! I seen a steam powered saw mill in action at a steam engine show this past weekend, the old stuff is neat to see:cheers:

Excellent, thanks a bunch for the pics. My aunt & uncle literally just got back from a trip across Vancouver Island to Tofino a week ago, and my uncle insisted they stop to take the tour thru the mill. He didn't take any pics though! :cry: He told me all about it at any rate. I haven't been down that way for 14 years, I think, but I'm definitely stopping in there next time.

I like how it's so quiet compared to an electric mill - you wouldn't be able to hear yourself scream standing ten feet away from an electric headrig.

In many ways I think steam engines are a fair bit more complicated than internal combustion engines, especially when it came to powering mills and other industry. It would've taken some serious engineering to figure out that rat's-nest of belts and pulleys in the basement!

Last edited:
that's pretty damn cool.

thanks for sharing the pics.

looks like a good summer vacation for next summer.

Measuring device, not sure on how the scale works.
tells the sawer how much of the log is left to saw
i dont know if this make seance or not but cutting
cants 3.5 in the magice numbers are 3.5 ,7.25,11,
14.75,18.5,and so on and cutting lumber we alwas
left a 3.5 or 1.5 pending on what we was cutting
math skills was al was amust and plan a head to
end up with 1.5 or 3.5. the pic shows me that he
has about 20" left must of been a 24" or 26" log to
start with sorry just had to rabblegrew up around
an old mill and cut a lot of grade and farm lumber
oh btw cool pics

Back