Just a few friendly seasonal reminders-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
That time of year... I have to make myself a list occasionally so I don't forget, and I thought I'd post here in case anyone else was forgetting as well-

-Clean the chimney and stovepipe (if you haven't already)
-Tarp this years wood (if applies)
-Mark those dead standing trees you're gonna cut this year, you might not be able to tell which they are in another month!
-Test/replace batteries in all the smoke/CO detectors
-Check your fire extinguishers
-Inspect the stove/burning appliance, replace any broken or worn out parts

And finally- look at the woodpile every now and again for that warm feeling-

P1020382.JPG

Please feel free to add your own items!

That time of year... I have to make myself a list occasionally so I don't forget, and I thought I'd post here in case anyone else was forgetting as well-

-Clean the chimney and stovepipe (if you haven't already) CHECK
-Tarp this years wood (if applies) Not till snow is forecast.
-Mark those dead standing trees you're gonna cut this year, you might not be able to tell which they are in another month! CHECK
-Test/replace batteries in all the smoke/CO detectors On the grocery list!
-Check your fire extinguishers CHECK
-Inspect the stove/burning appliance, replace any broken or worn out parts CHECK-replaced door seals this summer.

And finally- look at the woodpile every now and again for that warm feeling- Better with a cold one in hand, CHECK

I will only add one: Get the wood room in the house filled. Probably next weekend's project.

Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited:

-Mark those dead standing trees you're gonna cut this year, you might not be able to tell which they are in another month!

P1020382.JPG

Don't forget to:
-count your blessings for the beautiful place you have.

This year I need to replace all my detectors. It's been 10 years and I want to upgrade to combination smoke/ CO detectors.

Don't forget to:
-count your blessings for the beautiful place you have.

Thanks... with the restoration/renovation project going on the house, currently replacing about 40% of the rotted sill beams... sometimes I forget to do this. But I shouldn't, it is a beautiful place. The old folks that staked it out and claimed it circa 1720 had an eye for beauty and fertile farmland. Can't beat that bottomland soil!

Thanks... with the restoration/renovation project going on the house, currently replacing about 40% of the rotted sill beams... sometimes I forget to do this. But I shouldn't, it is a beautiful place. The old folks that staked it out and claimed it circa 1720 had an eye for beauty and fertile farmland. Can't beat that bottomland soil!

Guess the green-treated lumber of the 18th century was only good for 300 years :clap: A big, horrible job but worth it in your case.Good luck.

Guess the green-treated lumber of the 18th century was only good for 300 years :clap: A big, horrible job but worth it in your case.Good luck.

Haha, yeah, it had a good run. What made it a little frustrtating was that they would still be fine were it not that over the last 60 years the soil was allowed to build up too high around the foundation, particularly on the driveway side. We determined this happened by the heavy milk truck backing over it for years, pushing the fill toward the house. And whenever the driveway got rutted, they just filled in with more gravel and never took any away.

At least I know why it happened and how to prevent it from happening again. I think it was overlooked because the house was resided with ugly wood shingles in the 40's and covered right over where the sill beam was. Fortunately the shingles are gone (I love demolition), and the original narrow hardwood clapboards which have been there all along are now showing. :clap:

They are going to be replaced with similar 8 x 8 beams of red oak.

They are going to be replaced with similar 8 x 8 beams of red oak.

Sure you wouldn't rather use White Oak? Your great, great grand-kids will thank you.

Unfortunately white costs 10% more than red, and that's really not in the budget. The underside of the house stays very dry. It really was just the fact the soil was contacting the wood that they every began to fail in the first place.

Marc what was the name of the dairy?

I can't remember the name, it was a small outfit out of Webster, MA, long since out of business. My father would know, he farmed with my uncle here until the late 70's, when they sold off the herd. I'll ask him if I think of it the next time I see him.

P1020382.JPG

Thanks for sharing the great pic... beautiful view and great looking wood stack you have there! :clap:

I just stacked most of last years seasoned and spilt wood. It was about 8 cords. I do not go through that much wood as the 1st poster has pictured! I might go through 3 to 4 cords this winter if it going to be cold one. And that if the weather service is right this year. They never get it right! Ever! LOL Last year I only burned about 2 1/2 to 3 cords. It was hard to keep a tally because I had get into wood that cut earlier in that year. It was just piled after being spilt. We had cold nights in a low teens and the days would warm up into the mid 30's. Not to much snow and we really needed it!

Next week the chimey sweep is coming by to do his magic and risk his neck with my super high pipe. Go to love building codes! Plus I just order new filter for my warm ash vac. A ash vac is great thing to have, keeps the mess down inside the house. The little lady loves not having ash everywhere!

:cheers:

I just stacked most of last years seasoned and spilt wood. It was about 8 cords. I do not go through that much wood as the 1st poster has pictured!

Haha, well I don't go through 20 cord either, despite having that much stacked. More like 4 - 5 depending on how cool it is.

The pile is that big because I've got 140 acres worth of fencelines to trim back that haven't been touched in about 20 years, plus I started taking down trees for friends and whatnot. Kinda stumbled into the firewood business, selling to friends and aquaintences. Very small volume.

Keep Winter away another week or so, o.k? I'm heading to Angel Fire next week for an Elk hunt.

Lucky man! I wish that I had the time and money for elk hunting! Angel Fire is a 3 hour drive from where I live. It is a real p.i.a to get hunting tags. I remember the good old days when you walk into a sporting goods store and buy a deer license over the counter. Now it is all about stupid lotteries for tags. Anyways, good luck on your hunt and enjoy northern NM when it looks its best!

:cheers:

Haha, well I don't go through 20 cord either, despite having that much stacked. More like 4 - 5 depending on how cool it is.

The pile is that big because I've got 140 acres worth of fencelines to trim back that haven't been touched in about 20 years, plus I started taking down trees for friends and whatnot. Kinda stumbled into the firewood business, selling to friends and aquaintences. Very small volume.

I see! Have you though about a out side wood burner? I wish that had access to wood like that. Selling wood as a side business would be kinda nice.
Extra money for toys and bill is aways nice. I do computer work on the side and make good money doing it. It is been pretty slow though, nobody has extra money for their high tech toy anymore!

Back