5 gal a day through a 395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A local logger has been bragging that he could burn 5 gallons of mix through a 395 husky a day. Is this guy full of crap or are Huskys really that hard on gas?

I've put in some long days behind a modded 066, and burned about three in seven hours...I worked a ten hour day one time on a strip that was a long hike into, and burned 3.5 in a modded 460 (I took several long breaks though.)

Five seems excessive unless it's a modded saw and he's cutting monster wood.

Sounds a little like fish story to me. We use about 3 a day running 4 saws, 3 of which are over 70cc's and one being a 660.

I don't see that as "bragging" unless he could come up with a figure as to how much work he is actually getting done with that saw and 5 gallons of fuel in one day.

Is he cutting 2 cords or wood, 10, or even 15?

If he's taking down trees, which is unlikely, as you do too much walking around and getting set-up, etc, than actually running the saw, etc. How many trees with 5 gallons is he able to take down?

He could just have a poorly tuned saw and a dull chain and wasting his time, fuel and being unreasonably hard on the saw.....Cliff

That's a lot of board footage in a day in the Tennessee hardwoods...

I've cut that much before in a day but it was in west coast softwoods averaging 45-50" on the stump.

I guess it is doable if the trees average 1000 bf. Just dont see much timber that big around these parts.

it sounds like he has single handedly clear cut the whole state.

if one claims to have run 5 gallons of gas thru a saw in one day and no one was around, would one be lying?

I'm surprised no one has done the math, or meybe you just do it in your heads?

5 gal = 40 pints = 21 , 395 tank fulls of mix,

How long for one tank ? 20 minutes? = 420 minutes of continuous running = 7 hours.

Theoretically possible I suppose.

In practice, you guys will know better than I will.

Claims to be felling 40,000 to 50,000 board ft a day of grade timber.

Unless He's cutting the last of the secret eastern old growth hardwood, he is putting 7 to 10 loads on the truck every day..

Ya right, hes got crap to his eye balls...

East coast you might get a few trees that have 1000 in them but that is rare..

Last edited by a moderator:
A good fallow up question for a bull-shipper like that would be 'how much bar oil dose that take?'

Then when he looks off to the right thinking his answer, tell him that if he tightens those caps a little better he won't have them problems.

I got this leg that starts to shaking when it hears bull####, it's shaking!

I've put in some long days behind a modded 066, and burned about three in seven hours...I worked a ten hour day one time on a strip that was a long hike into, and burned 3.5 in a modded 460 (I took several long breaks though.)

Five seems excessive unless it's a modded saw and he's cutting monster wood.
most i have ever burn is 3 gallons and that was on very large tree trunks all day. Five seems excessive unless it's a modded very modded even over modded for work

Back