So what do you do when....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Your truck breaks down and you got your saws with you?

Had a real sucky day today.Morning was rainy, but figured, what the heck,whats a little rain, eh?
Loaded the saws, and went and cut some wood.After an hour or so had the trailer full of nice red oak, and headed home.
Driving along,enjoying the heat, and all of a sudden,pow.Steam coming out from under the hood of the ole trusty dodge.Pulled over.
A quick look confirmed that a hose clamp broke on a radiator hose.Lost most of the water and no spare clamp in the toolbox.Guess its time to walk.
Was fixing to leave the truck, then thought of my saws.Had the 372 and the 357 along for the day.I knew that some low life would come along and spot them in the back seat of the truck and bust a window out to get em.Needless to say, i took em with me.

There was a Pilot truck stop a little less than a mile,and I figured that they would have a hose clamp and some water and set off.By the looks of folks cruising by, I guess they had never seen a guy wandering along the highway with two chainsaws flung over a shoulder.
When I got to the Pilot, I figured that I would have some explaining to do,but short of a few stares nobody said a word to me.Until i got to the counter with the clamps and the water.

The woman took one look at me and hit the floor.I heard a low moan and a lot of gasping for breath,and i started to wonder if she was okay.I leaned over the counter after putting my saws on the floor and asked her if she was okay.
"please dont kill me, just take what you want and leave!"
I assured her that I had no intentions of taking anything,meant no harm,and explained why I had such an arsenal along with me.I guess she had seen to many movies or something, it took her ten minutes to get back off the floor.
Meanwhile, quite a crowd had gathered, and i handed out business cards while the crowd had a good laugh.I was going to explain that I was dressed as a logger for halloween,but I figured that since Halloween is two weeks away they would never believe me.I opted for the truth and explained my predictament.One old guy offered to drive me back to my truck, but I guess his wife thought that wasnt a good idea.
I paid for my stuff, and was just headed to the door when a State Trooper came in.He didnt have his gun drawn or anything, but he sure looked ornery.
Again, i had to explain what I was doing and why I was carrying two chainsaws.Luckily for me, he had a sense of humor and even offered to carry me back to the truck.
To make a real long story a little shorter, he carried me back to the truck and waited until the truck was running.Gave him my business card, he said he had a tree in his yard that needed to come down and I promised him to give him a good deal as a thanks for the ride.
Sheesh, Im glad to be home!

There's the problem right there. If you'd had a 361 in tow, it'd have fixed your truck for you, give you a front end alignment, and a foot massage - all before you had a chance to unbuckle your seatbelt. :)

umm, remind me to get one just for that reason.Sure wouldnt want one to cut with, but a foot massage sure would be nice.

Well at least some one understood....Bad enough to break down in the rain..Hope you get some business out of it,KEEP the officer HAPPY and you'll get more..;)

As we say here in Tennessee," The entertainment value of a story has no correlation to it's veracity". But that is a good story though...Lanny

I'd have just left 'em in the truck. I don't think the average lowlife would stop at a car on the side of the road during the day, night might be different. Too much risk of the local deputy pulling up to see if someone needs a hand.

Deer season is just around the corner here, and the only reports of stolen guns I hear of are from bar parking lots, at night. Millions of rifles sitting in trucks outside gas stations and cafes during holy week, quite a few costing more than any of my saws, one of mine included.

With your record of making women nauseous, have you thought about switching deodorants? :D

Can't believe somebody would not pull over and offer a guy carring two chainsaws a ride!:greenchainsaw:

Lolol! Chainsaw bandit strikes agin! Good frikken grief, store employee deserves brain transplant or somethin'. :rolleyes: I'd of been laughin' so hard it'd be 911'd
Thanks for the story mon, ya made my afternoon laugh list! XP

Ps> glad it all worked out fer ya! :clap: & :cheers:

:D

that was pretty funny with the girl thinking you were gonna kill her. you definatly could kill people with a saw but come on theres so many better ways to do it lol. besides you could hurt yourself running around like a madman with a saw.

AAA Plus...towing free up to 100 miles :)

Dunno is AAA is any better than OnStar, but a Canadian I was working with one was pulling his triple slider travel trailer across Montana to a job site and run out (or almost out) of fuel in his truck. OnStar sent a tow truck that was also a 3500 with 5 gallons of diesel and told him to call OnStar again if he needed more. :cry: before the tow truck left, he called onstar again again and told them if they were going to send 5 gallons at a time to line up tow trucks every 10 mile.

He since had a custom tank built that holds about 150 gallons of fuel.

I could see AAA showing up with a flatbed expecting to load your truck only to see the trailer and expecting you to leave your trailer on the side of the road.

Thats a good story, I would have given you a lift just to bs about saws up to the store and back. Why didn't you limp it down the road that last mile or so?

Thats a good story, I would have given you a lift just to bs about saws up to the store and back. Why didn't you limp it down the road that last mile or so?

a mile!?!?

i havea few big blocks in the garage i'll fire up once a while, still in the frame, no radiator, for 1 minute tops, slow idle....

rebuilt engines, 20-30 seconds tops, especially with crisp valves....

but not a mile....while pushing thousands of pounds of weight....i think that's pushing it....besides, is an engine not worth a walk and a few dollars? no pun intended, just my opinion.

The last time I found myself in that perdicament (and it seems to happen more often than I like to admit), I took a little hike off the road with my saws and stashed them in the woods. Dosen't work that way all the time though, truck dosen't always break down where there are plenty of trees. :cheers:

Andy

Latest posts

Back