do you prefer leg loops or butt strap saddles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, love the Pirhanas! Great idea!
Better would be their small rigging plate, the PAW, on each side to act as the bridge attachment, and accessory connection.....
kinda like what is CURRENTLY on the Ergovation saddle or the TreeMotion and that which is the bomb, and what guys are reporting they like.

(Wink, wink, nudge Petzl)

attachment.php

Yes, that would be nice. I have once again adjusted my bosun seat to exactly where it needs to be. When I get it in the sweet spot it is the most comfortable saddle I have owned. The straps just keep slipping causing me to have to readjust it. Hence the sowing awl thought.

A few minor improvements and Petz could knock one out of the park...

I'm just afraid they're going to put out a mediocre attempt, and I'm gonna buy it anyway, #####ing and moaning while I basically rebuild their saddle to MAKE IT WHAT IT SHOULD BE.

Pardon my apparent attitude, but months before the commercial release is the time to be incorporating and testing these ideas, at least entertaining the ideas by TRYING them.

I just want the best for the gear makers who are making the gear for us, we the professionals who BUY IT.

Do you think this is asking too much, a comfortable, performance saddle with a few nice features?

Better would be their small rigging plate, the PAW, on each side to act as the bridge attachment, and accessory connection.....
kinda like what is CURRENTLY on the Ergovation saddle or the TreeMotion and that which is the bomb, and what guys are reporting they like.

(Wink, wink, nudge Petzl)

attachment.php

Yep, looks cool. I actually made a rope bridge for mine out of safety blue.

I don't think anyone on this thread was bashing bosun saddles

alinicoll said:
Leg loops. Freedom of movement

There's one right there, as predicted.

Stated as if to imply the freedom of movement is better somehow than a bosun style saddle.

Freedom of movement is not a benefit. It's a REQUIREMENT.
Freedom of movement comes more from the floating bridge feature so you're not limited to what a single, central ventral attachment can offer.

Solid seat saddles do not, in any way, limit your freedom of movement. I open the floor to anyone who can give us a plausible reason as to why they assume this to be so. Go, it's all yours.

Having my nuts pinched limits my freedom of movement. If I have them removed, I might prefer seatless leg straps again.

I climb on a Blair Ultralight by Sierra Moreno, wonderful ease of movement, two floating D rings and plenty of supportive backpad. Plus the whole thing can come apart for a rebuild if you wear out the backpad....its great.
Check it out

the pinnacle was my first saddle.

i am now on the miniboss.

hey treemd. duct tape baby. havent had a slip of the strapping since i put it on. everything in its place and staying put.

go to that thread with the treehouse in it and you can see what i did to that saddle.

you dont like stepping into that saddle? i love it. so fast and easy. quick cinch and she's ready to go.

good to see you posting TM.

the pinnacle was my first saddle.

i am now on the miniboss.

hey treemd. duct tape baby. havent had a slip of the strapping since i put it on. everything in its place and staying put.

go to that thread with the treehouse in it and you can see what i did to that saddle.

you dont like stepping into that saddle? i love it. so fast and easy. quick cinch and she's ready to go.

good to see you posting TM.

OD, I looked for that thread a few days ago and couldn't find it. The search brings up a bunch of thee house threads but I can't seem to find the one your talking about.

Last edited:
OD, I looked for that thread a few days ago and couldn't find it. The search brings up a bunch of thee house threads but I can't seem to find the one your talking about.

just bumped that thread for you.

"one of the latest victims" is the thread title. its in the commercial climbing section.

Gotcha OD.

That saddle is the balls when you get it setup and customized! I love mine. I can deal with the small headaches as long as I am comfy in the tree on long climbs. I just need to get the straps stationary and I will be good to go. As far as the step through, I have never been a fan of those saddles. I am getting accustomed to it though. I like TM's idea about quick connects for that. Like I said, I can live with it. The benefits far outweigh the minor inconveniences of this saddle. Just takes a little getting used to after climbing in a different type of saddle for so many years.

The Sequoia is a very nice saddle. Well-designed and simple to operate. My old and less-than-nimble fingers have no trouble operating the quick release latches.

Is it the Holy Grail of saddles? Far from it. Saddle fit and function goes hand in hand with body type and climbing style. What works for one will be pure misery for another.

To promote one saddle as being the best cannot be done, except for the lone individual's situation.

Articulating leg strap saddles were designed to follow the body movement. So when properly set, no readjustment is necessary. The bosum seat does not hinder body movement, but does not follow body movement either. Depending on your climbing style, this may or may not be significant.

Like I have said, different strokes...

Dave

thats where i need help choosing. we dont have alot of vertical tree's here in hawaii there alot of canopy type trees like monkypods and wattle. i am afriad of crabbing and thats the only thing keeping me from getting the 2 one. i want freedom of movement for pruning work. but we also have eucalyptus trees here which as you know have long trunks. i keep comming back to the leg loops. as far as nut crunching goes, when i first started climbing i used to make rope harnesses. talk about nut crunching. i have balls made of steel now. hahaha.

anyway i think the leg loops are gonna work for me becuase i mostly climb SRT here. i find it easier for the tree's we have on maui.

Hey voxac, How are the trees out there?? Big trees? Is there a lot of pruning to do? A lot of overgrown trees?
Just curious how it is in a more tropical region like Hawaii.

You all are leaving out one of the most important details..
Voxac, There is a big difference between the second harness you have pictured with the single butt strap, AND harnesses with the stiff butt seat!
These are awesome because they are comfortable when sitting, yet also easy to move in, climb laterally, stretch your legs out laterally and make moves while you are sitting, etc.. Dont waste your money on the second harness, buy one for a hundred dollars more with the stiff butt bench seat so you can move in it!

If you are thinking about one with the individual leg straps, the style I'll add that Rip Tomkins a former international tree climbing champion prefers, then I'd probably go with one with more comfortable padded leg straps.

Peace

Last edited:
Hey voxac, How are the trees out there?? Big trees? Is there a lot of pruning to do? A lot of overgrown trees?
Just curious how it is in a more tropical region like Hawaii.

we have alot of conifers and eucalyptus tree's above 2'000 feet but for the most part there is lots of thorny keave tree's, huge monkey pods, mango's, a variety of palms, ironwoods, Norfolk pines and wattle tree's.
there is lots of business here. alot of people want tree's pruned to keep property value and lots of work from rel estate companies that have houses on the marked and want to keep the value pf the property. we also do condo's and hotels who want pruning work so thier tree's look nice.

Last edited:
Nice, thats cool. So a lot of hedge trimming and shearing bushes, and lots of smaller trees..
The weather is great huh!
Prune in the morning, and go surf in the afternoon!! :rock:

Are there quality enough waves to ride all over the place, not just the big spots?

Leg straps for pruning and butt straps for big removals. Leg straps frame out your package and make you look hot to the homeowner and also give you freedom of movement but a butt strap is more comfy when resting and blocking down big wood from a big removal. For some reason I do a lot of large pruning with leg strap saddles and my nuts hurt all day. Think I should buy a butt saddle and give `em a break.

Latest posts

Back