Man that dies with the most wood wins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFISH

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have about a 7 year supply of wood stashed away and I keep getting more, the wife was out helping me this past weekend and she told me "I should stop gathering fire wood, the man that dies with the most wood does not win"
I have to admit, it is getting harder and harder to find places to store the wood, I might just get a little more picky on what I cut for a while. This past weekends score was a beautiful straight grained red oak that was about 20" dia and a 18" dia elm. It's just so hard to turn down free trees that are 1/4 mile down the road from the house.
Does anyone else have there better half telling them to "take a break"
Here are some pictures of my stash, the piles are bigger now I just don't have any new pictures. It is all Red/White Oak, Hickory, Cherry, and now Elm.

Nice!

If I had half your wood, I would burn mine...wait...

Yep, the wife surely appreciates me cutting as much wood as I can get the time to.Both for the sales and extra cash, but it leaves me little time to get into trouble.
Not that I havent manage to get myself into trouble cutting wood.....

Generally, I agree. A Man Can Never Have Too Much Wood.....

But i'm gonna admit, when i have wood thats four or five years old (cut and split), i start to see more punk. Not that i throw it away, mind you......... but for me and my storage methods, i can reach the 'shelf life' of my firewood. I do my best to keep ahead two years, if i get much beyond that i'll usually start selling some of it.

You can never have too much WOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Words to live by !!!!!!

Basso

I have a respectable pile of firewood because I heat with it, but my real obsession is lumber to build stuff out of. So does that count? Here is one of about 6 piles I have stashed in my garage/house/rental storage unit. At last count I was somewhere at around 10,000 bd ft in total. :dizzy:

P4141975.jpg

I have thought about selling some of it, I am not worried about it rotting on me because most of it is under shelter or if it is outside it is off the ground. I am burning the stuff outside first of course. Normally she say's nothing about all the firewood (usually it is just me by myself) this time she was doing all the stacking while I was splitting it. I might sell some of it if the price is right.

I have thought about selling some of it, I am not worried about it rotting on me because most of it is under shelter or if it is outside it is off the ground. I am burning the stuff outside first of course. Normally she say's nothing about all the firewood (usually it is just me by myself) this time she was doing all the stacking while I was splitting it. I might sell some of it if the price is right.

Sawfish,

Wait untill mid December and early January when prices go up for seasoned hardwood, and then carpet bomb the local shopper papers and Craigl list with ads.

Guys that have well seasoned Oak,Ash,and cherry are getting 160 a cord right now and it will do nothing but go up around here, and near the big citys it's gonna be a lot higher.

There's tons of guys selling green crap wood at 130 a cord and getting away with it for now.
Just wait a bit, make a killing, buy your wife something really nice, and then you'll have justification for cutting even MORE! LOL!!!

Good luck to ya!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

but it leaves me little time to get into trouble.
Not that I havent manage to get myself into trouble cutting wood.....

What you running in to those wood hookers too! Dang!
....and here I thought we only had them running the woods in our part of the north country.

I have a respectable pile of firewood because I heat with it, but my real obsession is lumber to build stuff out of. So does that count? Here is one of about 6 piles I have stashed in my garage/house/rental storage unit. At last count I was somewhere at around 10,000 bd ft in total. :dizzy:

P4141975.jpg

Very handy to have around Curly. My dad is kind of the same way. He buys alot of his at sales. The last one he was at was a sale that a guy had bought the lumber to build a house and decided to not build and had a sale several years later. Dad purchased quite a bit of it. Never have any troubles rounding up 2x4's that's for sure!

Sawfish,
I would sell some of that wood. Then instead of your wife telling you that you should slow down on the wood cutting she'll be telling you to get busy cutting.

I get extra wood when I can because I never know when it will be hard to find or if for some reason I get sick or hurt.

I have 5 years or very close to it cut and the most of it split right now. The trouble is I only have enough room to store about 3 years worth of wood inside. I'll probably get some more when it drys up again because it's available. I try to rotate my wood so that it won't rot on me but I really need to build another shed.

Oh yeah, my wife doesn't complain because she really likes the wood heat and understands my reasons.

I just scored a 6x12 trailer&pickup bed full or red oak rounds. Hand split the bed full already. Trailer rounds pretty large& it's too hot to continue when I can save it for cooler mornings. I couldn't have harvested this trophy load (for me) without my Stihl MS390& it's 25" bar. It's 1 year useage since new birthday is quickly approaching. Since I have no idea how to post pics from my blackberry, according to site rules, none of this happened.

P4141975.jpg

I think it's awsome that you have so much nice usesable wood but I think your on the edge of hoarding.. you've got so much wood you'll never be able to build that much stuff as 1 man. .. Stop looking at what you can get and look at what you have!!!! Build something that your family can see and epreciate...:clap:

Sawfish, you're out of control! This is an intervention. Put the chainsaw down and step away from the wood splitter....

Seriously though, that is some impressive stack of firewood. I am jealous. That makes me want to go out and get to cutting. I had to start my new 362 last night just to hear it run. Now I am daydreaming about what a stack of wood like that would look like sitting next to my house. I am fighting the urge to go out and fire up my saw right now. You see what you have done. You are sick!!!:cry:

Latest posts

Back