OWB Data Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC4AB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here is a screen shot of the data that I log on my OWB:

attachment.php

I am using a LabJack U12 data interface and DaqFactory software. Stove is a Hardy H2 with a 2 stage Ranco temperature controller, set up to operate as follows:

Damper opens if the temp gets below 155, closes at 160. If the damper can't keep up the fan comes on a 145 and turns of at 155 and the damper stays open until 160. This mode of operation seems to save on wood by not running the fan unless you really need it.

The current graph reflects the stove being loaded with beetle eaten pine, day time temperatures in the 50's and night time temps in the 30's.

Potential future enhancements include:

Connecting the Fan / Damper / Pump / Fill inputs (already on the screen)
Outside air temperature
Stack Temperature
Stack Opacity
Designing a robotic loader to fill the stove

Last edited:
Man I've been wanting to do something just like that for a long time. I wanna be able to get up in the morning and turn on my computer and know just what's going on without having to get dressed.

I also would like to monitor.
Water temp
Draft fan on-off (and log the length of time it ran over a 24 hr period)
Fire box temp
Outside temp and wind speed

I looked at your link to the controller on the other thread and it seems like the perfect thing. And at $74.99 it looks even more perfect.
http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc111100000-digital-temperature-controller010v-output-p-97.html

The thermal well that I would need though is rather pricey at $30
http://www.rancoetc.com/wel11a601r-bulb-well-assembly-p-114.html

Last edited:
Nice!

I'll be hooking my first sensor up to my system this afternoon, as soon as I get a trimmer pot so that I can "calibrate" the sensor. It will be going to the HX inlet tube.

I'll be using a Dataq DI-148U http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di148.htm that I bought last winter but never got around to using along with the included WinDAQ software. For temp sensors, I'll be using LM34 sensors buffered through an LM324 op-amp.

My biggest problem will be to monitor the state of the pump, blower, and damper since they are 150' away and I don't have any signal lines back and forth. Makes me wish I'd run a Cat-5 cable..... I'm working on a scheme where I can monitor the AC circuit current draw and calculate which loads are active based on the measured draw. That will be fun...

The whole thing will run off an old Dell laptop down in the basement running Win XP. The Dell will be networked into the rest of my home's network and I'll be able to use Remote Desktop from any of the other systems to pull up the graph. I may even set it up for access via the internet so I can monitor it from "anywhere."

I'd also really like to switch out from the single to the dual-stage Ranco and use the same strategy... Just trying to justify the cost.

That's the "plan", so far....

Edit: Hmm, since my detached garage is only 30' from the OWB, I might just string some Cat-5 from the garage to the OWB and wifi- the signal back to the house......

Last edited:
Being as how I am about as intelligent as a wood block when it comes to electronics. Can I assume that the 0-10V output on the Ranco controller could be used for a temp gauge in my house? If so, what temp gauge could I get?
Once again I'll assume that I can just run a wire from it to my computer desk and voila.. I could sit here in the morning and know what my water temp is.:cheers:

One nice thing is I have a buddy that lives just a couple miles from me that is an electrical engineer. He designs electrical systems for machines. Once I have all the components installed he will come hitch em all up. :)

AIM,

Yes, you could.

Easiest: Get a 0-10 VDC analog meter and make a scale for it that has a linear scale from -30 to 220 F corresponding tot he 0-10 volt scale.

Harder: Use a computer with a data logger to display the scaled reading from the Ranco and display it as a temperature value. If your computer has an RS232 serial port, it would only cost about $25 for a DI-194RS. Have a kid doing a science fair project? Get it free (maybe): See http://www.dataq.com/science-fair/sciencefair.php for qualifications. Come to think of it, this would probably be easier than the panel meter.

More difficult: Scale the input, then sum it with an offset so that the 0-10 volt input may be added to an offset voltage. The resulting voltage will be a linear representation of the temperature that could be read directly by a digital meter as degrees F (or C, if properly scaled and processed). I started on this last winter, but never finished it.

Last edited:
Not as simple as I hoped.:dizzy:

I was groping around Tekmars website and they have some really cool stuff. According to their website I could call them and they would design a system to do about whatever a guy would want.
From what I've gathered though it would be a pricey set up.
http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/prod.html

Control System But No Logging, Yet

img5807nf.jpg

This is a picture of the control system that I built for my boiler system. It consists of an Arduino, 4x20 LCD display, 4 solid state relays, and 9 1-Wire temperature sensors. The control system controls which source of heat the house uses (boiler system or propane furnace) and also controls the loading of the 500 gallon pressurized storage tank, in order to maintain stratification.

At the moment there is no logging being done but I plan to eventually incorporate that into the system to try and further the efficiency of my system.

ETA: The LCD display helps me determine if I need to make a fire or there is still enough heat left in storage.

Last edited:
The 0-10V signal from the Ranco can be scaled to degrees using pretty much any 0-10V process readout or controller, such as the Omega DP18 (~$160.00). This will take the 0-10V and scale it to read in degrees after you set the zero and the span.

A much cheaper alternative is to pick up a $5.00 digitial voltmeter from Harbor Freight and use the conversion chart at:

http://brinkleyelectronics.com/RANCO_TEMP.htm

or you can generate your own conversion table using the formula:

Temperature (F) = (voltage*25)-30

Last edited:
Well, I got the rudimentary logging system working Friday evening by monitoring the HX inlet and outlet temps. Everything is on a solder-less breadboard at the moment so it looks like crap. However, it seems to work!

This afternoon, I ran a separate wire (RG6 coax since I had plenty of it around) down to the boiler from the basement and connected the analog output of the Ranco to my DI-148U. I was able to set the scaling in the DATAQ software and can now read the Ranco's temperature (although the analog voltage's value comes out about 4 degrees too high compared to the Ranco's display) in addition to the the HX temps.

I can now sit in my recliner upstairs and monitor the system's readings by using the Remote Desktop facility in Win XP.

Next up will be an outdoor temp sensor but I'll need to order an LM34CZ since the "D" series sensors I ordered last year don't go low enough.

A much cheaper alternative is to pick up a $5.00 digitial voltmeter from Harbor Freight and use the conversion chart at:

http://brinkleyelectronics.com/RANCO_TEMP.htm

or you can generate your own conversion table using the formula:

Yeah, but I was working on eliminating the conversion chart by making a scaled output that read directly on a DPM where all you had to do was manipulate the decimal point.

Last edited:
attachment.php

The picture above shows what my long term plans are for my data logging adventure. I currently have only the temperature connected.

A detailed description of my plan is as follows:

Fill Solenoid, Fan, Damper solenoid and Taco pump are all terminated with a standard 120 VAC wall plugs for ease of testing / troubleshooting.

The control outputs for the fill valve, fan, damper solenoid and circulating pump are each wired to individual duplex 120 volt outlets. The respective cords plug into the top outlet and a wall wart transformer is plugged into the bottom outlet to provide a DC voltage that I can safely log. The 4 wall warts connect to a standard Cat5 cable that is routed to the Labjack data logger as follows:

Address IO0 = Fill Valve Status
Address IO1 = Damper Solenoid Status
Address IO2 = Fan Run Status
Address IO3 = Pump Run Status

The 0-10 v output from the RANCO ETC controller is run through another Cat5cable tied to the Labjack data logger at address A0.

The 24 vac control signal from the house thermostat is wired through a low temperature Snap Disc thermostat before the control relay so if the OWB water temperature drops below 110F it keeps the pump from running.

Future enhancements are outside temperature and stack opacity

Last edited:
The Ranco provides a 0 - 10 V DC output.
0 volts = -30F
10 V = 220 F

Formula to calculate temperature from the voltage is

Latest posts

Back