pile(s) of logs for sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:chainsawguy:

Finally someone with some nuts speaks up on this thread. If this wood were close to me I would be all over it too. If there are 130 logs like the ones in the pics it would be easiily 10 cord. Even if it cost a few bucks to load it onto trailer it would still be cheap wood. That wood looks sound and would likley dry out fast to burn or sell and make a few bucks.

Thank you sir.

Right now i'm just trying to get ahead for next year.

I'm also wanting to try out an idea about drying the logs. Keep 'em whole, run the saw length wize in 4 spots just through the bark and store them off the ground for next year.

If I were you, I'd buy it. Here, a 10 cord truckload is 80+ per cord of green red oak. Hickory and locust should be fine, but the cherry may or may not be punky. Perhaps you could ask to leave any rotted stuff on his site, maybe even piled for burning?

Do you have a plan for loading and hauling?

Let me be the devil's advocate. Suppose no one buys them. What is he going to do then?

Sounds to me like he should pay you to remove them or at most offer them to you free and hope for the best. WDYT?

At least find out how they got there in the first place.

That would be even better for me. He pays me say $50 a cord to get rid of it for him. I pay a grapple truck say $500 to bring it to my yard. My cost to cut/split/deliver approx $50 per cord. Sell for 300-400 a cord = nice profit.

PS - Assuming wood is not punky !

Different market. I feel bad for your local loggers/firewood dealers. Price around here on the landing approx 70-100 per cord. By the time it gets to me price is 140-200 per cord. I process and sell for 325-450 per cord. Everyone makes a few bucks and stays warm.

I been on deals like that one. Only diff is they were free to me for comin and gettin them. Now my logs had laid for 5 maybe 6yrs in tall weeds. Logs out in the open air...no problem. They should be good as the day they were cut. These appear to have been in some grass (amazing to me how lazy people are about a dab of roundup) which might not have been ideal conditions but then again locust is tough stuff against rot. Anyway I got maybe 70% good out about 20 logs in total. It red oak white oak ash and som eother stuff. Amazingly the red oak was the most rotten. White oak was much better. However some logs were only gone on the outside couple inches and solid and dry inside.
If it were me I would say 250-300 to limit some of your risk and it would be good deal as long they are close and easy to get home.

I'm also wanting to try out an idea about drying the logs. Keep 'em whole, run the saw length wize in 4 spots just through the bark

Wouldn't hurt, but isn't likely to help much. Almost all of the drying takes place out of the end of the grain.

You better have a concrete saw to cut that stuff with. You're gonna be tired just from chain sharpenings. Locust and hickory that old will not cut much. About every cut through a log and you will need to sharpen. I wouldn't give him that much for it. Looks like a big headache to me. But if it's all ya got then ya gotta worry with it.

I'm with you, I don't see 10 cords there.

Jack

he said not all the wood was pictured. Now of course one reason I do what I do is cause I decided I would not spend a red cent on firewood ever. I do love locust but I can't say how much its worth. I sell truck loads of logs usually under 100 bucks delivered for about a cord.

he said not all the wood was pictured. Now of course one reason I do what I do is cause I decided I would not spend a red cent on firewood ever. I do love locust but I can't say how much its worth. I sell truck loads of logs usually under 100 bucks delivered for about a cord.

Yeah, I had to go back and read it again to see the 130 logs bit. My mistake. I do agree with the comment that it's a pretty sweet deal for the farmer, who has left the logs lie for 2-3 years, which I would think would be pretty bad news for the cherry. It's finally gotten to the point that he wants them out of there. A fairer deal would be $xx a cord for what you actually take and you don't have to take what you don't want. Of course, I don't know the market there.

Jack

I am going to think about this alot before jumping into anything. I would like to get him down to 400.00 for all but would definitely want to do some test cuts to see what kind of shape they are in (top and bottom of pile)
Here is a couple more pictures.

Wouldn't hurt, but isn't likely to help much. Almost all of the drying takes place out of the end of the grain.

I think I called you on this before;it is simply not true.Very little drying occurs at the end of the grain.It is the reason that we split our wood to speed drying and limit rot.I will be happy to provide any citations that you require.

I don't know where some of you guys get your information from. Too bad it would take three or four years to do an experiment, but if you were to lay hickory, cherry and black locust logs side-by-side on the ground and leave them for four years, and not disturb them, the locust would be solid and hard, the cherry sapwood would be mush but the heart would be still solid, and the hickory would be spalted, if not punky, and close to worthless.

I am going to think about this alot before jumping into anything. I would like to get him down to 400.00 for all but would definitely want to do some test cuts to see what kind of shape they are in (top and bottom of pile)
Here is a couple more pictures.

Based on your last picture, the one that seems to show the whole lot, I changed my opinion. Much of that wood looks like junk. Walk away or offer the guy a price based on how much you can salvage. Leave the rest to rot. The idea that he pays you to take it is looking even better.

Hi there, If a came across that wood for free, I would take a whack at it with my chainsaw. But I wouldn't pay 500 for it. I would sooner have a ten cord load of Maple or Oak delivered right behind my garage for $1,000 like the loggers are charging around this part of the U.P. of Michigan. They stack it on stringers and I cut it and pile it right where it is dropped off. I think $100 a cord is pretty high, but it seems that they get about that much at the paper mills, so the price is established. I would not want to hassle with all the dirt on those logs in the pictures. (The ones sitting on the ground)

Just my opinion though

I don't know where some of you guys get your information from. Too bad it would take three or four years to do an experiment, but if you were to lay hickory, cherry and black locust logs side-by-side on the ground and leave them for four years, and not disturb them, the locust would be solid and hard, the cherry sapwood would be mush but the heart would be still solid, and the hickory would be spalted, if not punky, and close to worthless.

Exactly right, besides spalted that hickory would be bug ridden too. The locust, sun baked in the field like that, will just be turning into locust-crete. Go cut some of that around dusk and watch the sparks fly.....and bring semi-chisel. That locust will knock all the points right off the chain if you wanna use chisel.

Sounds about right, for my neck of the woods. But the time required to rot will differ from one region to another based on climate.

Still, I think the relative durability will be the same anywhere.

I'd like to check them out if the OP doesn't have a need for them.

Haven't gotten into locust yet. Have quite a bit of Mulberry and love it.

Mark thanks for the insight.

Back