Shaver Improvement Forum.... one year later

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I told them and alternative heating faxed over a wiring diagram showing the etc 111000 wired using a transformer. Shaver said people were burning up their controllers and wanting a new one so a transformer was needed. I like the blower mod but to late, I have a new 75cfm blower with selenoid on the way but i'll probably mod the old blower as my spare. Thanks again.

Im bring this back up because this week we have finally got a real arctic blast of cold air to test my work I did this summer.It has been cold and windy the last few days here,thursday night was 15-16 degrees with 25-40 mph winds.Temps never got over 25 yesterday for a high.The Shaver is finally having to work a little,and I must say that I am very happy with the improvement in burn times from my increases in insulation,esp with windy weather.It seems me filling in all the voids,and air gaps and adding insulation over,and under has added a few hours to my burn times easily. I just came in from loading the boiler,and when I opened the door,I was suprised to see a lot of wood remaining,the front portion of all the logs were burnt,but the back 1/2 of them were still intact!I grabbed the poker,an pulled them into the hole up front,added one large crotch that i save for daytime burns because they take up a lot of space.I am going out in the Am now on overnight burns with enough still in the firebox to last all day if i wanted too,even in this cold snap.I feel the extra insulation is definitely worth the time and money.You dont need to use spray foam,although im sure it would help even more,$50.00 worth of batts worked great for me.

shaver mods

Ok, guys, I got the ranco wired up and love it, water temp is alot easier to control, that simple steam fix works great, havn't had to add any water in 2 weeks and the new 75 cfm blower with selenoid is like a flame thrower. brings my water temps up 12 degrees on my 250 in about 9 minutes. Thanks guys.

Ok, guys, I got the ranco wired up and love it, water temp is alot easier to control, that simple steam fix works great, havn't had to add any water in 2 weeks and the new 75 cfm blower with selenoid is like a flame thrower. brings my water temps up 12 degrees on my 250 in about 9 minutes. Thanks guys.

What blower are you using, and where did you get it?

Its a dayton blower model-1tdp3 75 cfm with seleniod and flapper that I bought from weldrite. 125 bucks. I think they make about 50 bucks for the fab work. Worth it for me.

just went out this morning to load wood burner and decided to take a look in back side to check temp, pumps, and everything, I have temp set at 145*-155*, temp was at 135*, looked down and blower was'nt running but the solenoid was and the damper was open, I spun it a few times with finger and it took off but squealed a little, going to go out later spray some wd 40 on shaft, has anyone else had this happen and what did you do to fix it, It's the stock Dayton blower that came with the shaver.

Mine also stopped last week. I tapped on it with the screw driver handle and it started right up. I guess it just got a little sticky and decided to hang up.

I'm on the second winter with mine and haven't had any problems with the blower yet. But I'm thinking now that it would probably be a good idea to have a spare on hand. Because of course when it goes out it will be a night like tonight: 8 degrees, snowing and the wind blowing.:(

I'm on the second winter with mine and haven't had any problems with the blower yet. But I'm thinking now that it would probably be a good idea to have a spare on hand. Because of course when it goes out it will be a night like tonight: 8 degrees, snowing and the wind blowing.:(

Yup,im thinking the same thing,a spare blower,and circulator isnt a bad idea....they seem to fail at the worst time...

Same problem with my Natures Comfort. a while back I awoke at appprox. 2 am with nature calling. I always check my temps when I awake in the middle of the night and this time it was 30 low. Put on my jacket, went out and thought it was weird that the fan wasn't running. Solenoid had the damper open but no fan. Verified operating voltage at the fan motor, shut the power down, and finally found the fan cage semi stuck. Spun it back and forth with my finger and it freed up. Power up and all was good again. Went to Grainger that day and purchased a replacement blower figuring that it would require replacement by the time I got home from work. I have yet to replace the original 6 plus weeks later and it seems fine. At least now I have a spare. Kind of weird that it seized up just the one time. I would have figured it to be noisy or intermittent after something like that, but it seems to be running like new................

Last edited:
Same problem with my Natures Comfort. a while back I awoke at appprox. 2 am with nature calling. I always check my temps when I awake in the middle of the night and this time it was 30 low. Put on my jacket, went out and thought it was weird that the fan wasn't running. Solenoid had the damper open but no fan. Verified operating voltage at the fan motor, shut the power down, and finally found the fan cage semi stuck. Spun it back and forth with my finger and it freed up. Power up and all was good again. Went to Grainger that day and purchased a replacement blower figuring that it would require replacement by the time I got home from work. I have yet to replace the original 6 plus weeks later and it seems fine. At least now I have a spare. Kind of weird that it seized up just the one time. I would have figured it to be noisy or intermittent after something like that, but it seems to be running like new................

The blower on my NC froze on me last Feb just like you described. I freed it up and it's still running fine....

This is the second season for the original Dayton blower on my 290. Since I freed it up a couple weeks ago, I haven't had any problems. I do have a spare on hand as well as an extra circulator pump, just in case.

mine has been working fine since that first time it froze, figured it would'nt hurt any to spray with wd40 whether it's sealed or not, I have an extra blower that's more powerful than the dayton but it will need a little mod. to work, but really need to get an extra pump to keep on hand.

This past week my blower on the Shaver 290 quit. This is the second one on my unit to go. Both had the same problem,they wouldn't run unless I spun the squirrel cage. I baught one last year from Grangers and then I got a hold of Shaver and they replaced the origanal. I put that one on Thursday but I did the dryer vent blower mod to it. What a diffarence in my wood use and recovery time! Thanks to everyone who "tinkers" to make these things better.

Shaver Mods List?

Hello Everyone. I appreciate all the postings on the shavers. As I am installing radiant floor heat( retrofit) in my home come spring, I will be adding an outdoor boiler. I decided on a Shaver. I have been reading all the mods and "wish this was better" and wondered> Has anyone put together a more comprehensive list of necessary and recommended mods? I also have been taking notes on complaints such as small weld errors etc, so that I could possibly address these when I order. Thanks again.

On the fence between Shaver and Central

Thanks for the prompt reply Alan. Seems you think Central is better? I have debated these 2 companies back and forth. Any particular reason that I may not realize? I can still be persuaded to change for the right logic. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back