What saw should I use for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Take a look at my signature below. Lists all my available saws that I have to setup a mill with. Almost all of the wood I'll be cutting is around 24", one log will be closer to 36". My first instinct is to use my 075, since I would have an easy time getting parts and it is actually in excellent shape. I know the 090 would have no problem, either. However, they both are setup for .404 pitch, which would take a bigger chunk of wood out. I would not choose to switch them over to 3/8".

There's my 066, but I really don't want to sacrifice that to milling. I suppose my 056 is a viable option.

Despite recent criticisms of my dear 075 :( , I still love using it and it does its job just fine.

What are your opinions?

Thanks, Chris B.

I'd say try both the 075 and the 056. I believe they have the same bar mount? See what works best. Well, actually the 066 would probably work best. What's this D-handle 090? got a pic?
.404 works just fine for milling, especially with those big, slow saws w/ lots of torque. If you are wanting thin kerf, get a bandsaw, otherwise don't sweat it- let the chips fly:D

I'll second what Woodbeard said, kinda. Unless you are cutting really long timbers or cannot get the logs to a central location get, or hire, a bandmill.
Of the saws mentioned, use the 066. Do some research on chainsaw milling...a lot of folks recommend using .325 pitch chain to speed up production. Even at that it's slow going.

Nope, the 056 and 075 do not share the same mount. 051, 075, 088, 090, etc.. share the large Stihl mount. All the rest of the Stihls I list have the mid-size mount.

The d-handle is a loop handle to replace the starter grip. Stihlman036 has a couple for sale on the used equipment board. Makes starting easier. For me it really isn't necessary, and I'll probably remove it soon to save for another application, but on an engine with lots of compression it is a lot less painful on your fingers.

Here's a link to a pic a posted a while back of the 090 with the d-handle.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attach/12966.jpg

I'm still deciding which saw to use. Still leaning towards the 075.

Thanks, Chris B.

Milling saw

I would concur,with your chioce of the 075.As I've said in the past,I only ever saw 1 ,075 run.While it was not really fast,it seemed to have a large amount of torque.The few around here that use chainsaw mills,use 084's 0r 088's.The 3 guys I talked to about the subject,just left the .404 chain size.All of them also told me that it puts a tremendous load on the saw,in the fact that it may take 15 to 20 minutes to make a through cut on a 16 ft by 20" hard maple.Maybe these guys are slow,but the normal cut rate is around 300 bdf,per day.I would not try to discourage any one who wants to do thier own milling,but 300 bdf costs me $60.,from my sawyer,and it is straight smooth lumber.

Back