How do you coil your rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meanwhile back at the OP

Over the years, tried all the coiling techniques. For backpacking rope, pdqdl's link of the 'over-the-neck' technique (Sam Noyoun) seems IMHO to be the most efficient. For all other handling, flaking rope into a storage container (below) is IMO the best; stores fastest, deploys fastest, keeps 'em dry & clean, keeps most bugs and other critters out, carries easy, stacks well.

BTW there is one REAL problem the 'over-the-neck' coiling thing, with all that arm flappin' ... bystanders chuckle too much and ask:
"When ya gonna lift-off?" ... I always laugh politely :laugh: ... always ...

Rope Storage - flaked into 10 gal container (with associated gear)
4283651724_9bd76d8379.jpg

BTW; it even 'looks' professional - had an HO run get her camera just to take a pic of all the gear lined up on a tarp.

Last edited:
I do mine like the guy in the last video but I twist them, don't have many problems with them knotting up much and they can be tossed from overhead and not get all mangled up...

Is your Climbing Rope long enough to hang you?

Every now and again you hear about some DS Groundie feeding a climbing rope through the chipper. I read somewhere on here about a climber being injured because he was still attached and got hauled along the ground (sorry can't remember who). With that in mind I advise all people who want to use the loop around the neck trick to do it no closer than the length of your rope +20' away from any running chipper (or DS Groundie)!

Alternatively avoid looking like a twit (as in the bird) and flake your rope into a bucket or bag. Saves the rest of the crew some embarrassment. :laugh:

No offense SJ.

Last edited:
I coil the old fashion way. Don't know what it's called but it's looped in your hand, twisted around a few times, then fashioned with a loop at the top to hang the rope on a coat hanger, nail from the wall, etc, etc. The video is pretty trick but the old way allows me to at least visualy inspect the rope as I coil it up and the loop on the top allows for easy storage.

For the last couple years I've been using a rope bag for my primary climbing line and I like it. Hook a carabiner to one of my belt loops, run the rope thru carabiner and I can both inspect and feed the rope back into the bag at a pretty impressive speed.

I also made a two sided stuff sack for my extension cords. It works pretty good because I can pull the cord from either end of the sack, therefore if I need more cord at either the female or male end I can simply pull from that side and feeding it back into the bag is similiar to a rope bag. On cold days the extension cords get very stiff so it's not as easy as rope to feed back in, but I like it better then dealing with tangled knots by coiling it the way I used to.

Yeah flaked into a rope bag is the best IMHO.

Coils often put a but of twist in the rope and a knot forming (particularly in a fine throw-line) is a PITA.

:agree2:

I use think rope bags were a waist and would just coil my lines and toss them in a tote. Then I got a rope bag and started flaking. Ill never go back.

i coiled my ropes untill i read this thread...went in the basement found a 5gal bucket. Unroled my 120' 1/2 climbline and started to feed it in like this is never gonna fit. well 120' later its all in the bucket and it will stay works nice

Use mostly 3-strand rigging ropes and they get old-school coiled and put in one of those Stanley totes. The basic kind with wheels and a handle, not the crazy expensive lockable one with the alarm and what not. Climb lines go in stuff sacks. My personal climbing gear goes in a gym bag. Blaze in a stuff sack in the mesh end and XTC in a stuff sack goes in the other end. Saddle, etc., goes in the middle compartment.

tupperware

I don't wrap ropes..

Here's a 200' piece of 1/2" lowering line at about 2 minutes...

for the climbing line I use an old suitcase.. found on road and throw in the saddle and all the miscelaneous climbing gear... Its all in there.. even flaking into a 5 gallon bucket is a lot harder than the suitcase or tupperware... the wider the better..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwDNQwKzFo

Every now and again you hear about some DS Groundie feeding a climbing rope through the chipper. I read somewhere on here about a climber being injured because he was still attached and got hauled along the ground (sorry can't remember who). With that in mind I advise all people who want to use the loop around the neck trick to do it no closer than the length of your rope +20' away from any running chipper (or DS Groundie)!

Alternatively avoid looking like a twit (as in the bird) and flake your rope into a bucket or bag. Saves the rest of the crew some embarrassment. :laugh:

No offense SJ.
Yes, I agree, don't be a twit, or a Ninny! No ropes around your necks.

No offense SJ.

:agree2:
No offense taken. :cheers:
... just an attempt at humor that the "neck trick" looks silly even if it works well.

I definitely agree, FLAKE INTO WHATEVER. I only use the totes, now (like in the pic I posted). But, that's primarily because there's a newly invasive species of bug here that hides in tiny places like inside bags. When I found a couple of hundred in a rope bag last year I went out an bought a half-dozen totes - it worked, no more bugs. AND, they look professional ... I get a lot of compliments from HO's. I've heard; "This guy's really got it together!" - I LIKE them thinking that ... image matters!

I have bombed them but they are cheap and cleanup nice & easy ... can't say that about bags. I tried buckets but couldn't get 150' bull rope in a 5 gal. bucket. A bull rope, and the related gear that's always needed with it, fits nicely in a tote. A Climb line, folding throwcube, FS's, in another tote. Saddle, various climb rigs (SRT, DRT, DdRT ...), in another tote. Etc., etc. ...

But, I've got to give credit (and rep) where credit is due. In murphy4trees' video (@4:25 min) he speaks to the use of totes ("tupperware"). It's efficient and FAST ... and they look GOOD (just make sure they're color coordinated :)).

Last edited:
Yeah the tote's sure look the business. I reckon different colored lids or nice big labels might help things out a bit.

I re-read your post - boy do I feel silly.:dizzy:

Yeah the tote's sure look the business. I reckon different colored lids or nice big labels might help things out a bit.

Good idea ... I'm thinking ... when I bomb the totes I've got into pieces ... I'll replace them with totes that have clear lids so I can see what's inside.

Good idea ... I'm thinking ... when I bomb the totes I've got into pieces ... I'll replace them with totes that have clear lids so I can see what's inside.

repped you on maularoon great idea. Nice photos too

I use old chlorine buckets. They have a screw on lid and are pretty easy to get a hold of. keeps my rope dry and out of the way. I used to coil and let the help coil and it seemed my rope was always hung on something or getting a knot in it. Not to mention it stays out of the grease that seems to accumulate in the back of my truck.​

I use crates like treeco (probably stole that idea from me on another forum lol). Big crates for 5/8 and 3/4 and half size milk crates for 1/2 inch. They stack nice and air out the lines and never ever tip over or break up. I have bought all the expensive bags and they are sitting unused as I always go back to crates. Easy to see what is in them without having to open anything up.
They don't pick up any moisture on the ground or floor.

I even have a large one set up with a golf bag shoulder strap on it for saddle, spikes cl line etc etc day to day

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back