Lanyard Preference - What do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingArbor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im in the market for a new flip line, and im on the fence about what to purchase next. I have used both prusik adjusters (ALT), and a single wire core with Micro adjuster. I like the added peace of mind using ALT, so am considering a 2-way with the Klimar adjuster. Wondering what others experience with the latter are; likes, dis likes.. Lets hear it as my search yielded little results as far as what most are using and why.

Im in the market for a new flip line, and im on the fence about what to purchase next. I have used both prusik adjusters (ALT), and a single wire core with Micro adjuster. I like the added peace of mind using ALT, so am considering a 2-way with the Klimar adjuster. Wondering what others experience with the latter are; likes, dis likes.. Lets hear it as my search yielded little results as far as what most are using and why.

After using a couple different flipline adjusters including the new buckingham that supposedly corrects the angle of your caribiner to your belt,I use a traditional prusik setup.Heres a thread that's got good info,Type this in("BuckGrab" flipine adjuster from Buckingham).Sorry im not sure how to post a thread.

I use a gibs attached with a delta link on my saddle

I like the Gibbs, as it won't slip I tie my own lanyards with 3 strand Tree Master by Samson. I attach it to a swivel snap. I cut to length approx 30' long to allow for redirects.

If you use a Gibbs, take out the quick pin and replace it with a bolt with a lock nut on the end.

Works great.

Good luck,

20' 1/2" XTC plus with a distel and micro pulley for the lanyard
8' 1/2" Yale wire core with distel and micro pulley for flip line

Both one hand adjustable in and out, and release under load...:clap:

15'-1/2" Stable braid with an A.R.T. Positioner. I've tried many different adjusters/hitches and IMO the Positioner is the best out there because it's ingenious design allows it to be released under load. Also since it very small it's much more compact than using a prusik or some other hitches. For cutting with a chainsaw aloft I use a 12' wire-core with a mechanical adjuster.

media.nl

Skip the expensive (and heavy) positioning devices and use a modern friction hitch and micropulley (or dog leash snap, or...whatever). Use a heat resistant cord like Beeline. I have an unused Microscender, because it doesn't work as well.

Skip the two in one lanyard. For the weight and hassle, you will do better to use two separate lanyards (Like Bermie) so that you can use both at the same time. You won't need two fancy positioning devices, because you will be only be using 30" of cordage for the friction hitch on each lanyard.

I like the VT using beeline (splice my own), and any old chunk of stable braid for the lanyard. Wire core? You should buy that one.

I use 2 lanyards 1 is a 10' steel core flip w/ gibbs and 2 is a 16' blue streak with snaps on each end and a 6 coil prussick...2 in 1......I use this all the time like a mini secondary climb line

Skip the expensive (and heavy) positioning devices and use a modern friction hitch and micropulley (or dog leash snap, or...whatever). Use a heat resistant cord like Beeline. I have an unused Microscender, because it doesn't work as well.

Skip the two in one lanyard. For the weight and hassle, you will do better to use two separate lanyards (Like Bermie) so that you can use both at the same time. You won't need two fancy positioning devices, because you will be only be using 30" of cordage for the friction hitch on each lanyard.

I like the VT using beeline (splice my own), and any old chunk of stable braid for the lanyard. Wire core? You should buy that one.

:agree2:Just keep it simple.

I use some old climbing line spliced to a working length of ~18ft with a vt using 3/8 inch stable braid, a newer carabiner and an old micro-pulley. I clip it into the bottom sewn loop on my master saddle and have a captive eye carabiner on one end. That clips into a Mallion-Rappide delta link on the opposite sewn loop, or the d-ring on the saddle side; whichever is easiest.

:agree2:

I'm essentially with the two lanyard group. However, I extended the two lanyard approach to some development work by Tom Dunlap and TheTreeSpyder. I'm using their Double Ended, Double Adjusting (DEDA) approach. It's essentially two lanyards "joined" around the back. There's less hardware than with two lanyards. Plus, you can use virtually all the lanyard on either side. I use both sides on almost every climb - very versatile, easy to use and lighter.

Double Ended, Double Adjusting (DEDA) Lanyard
4290444633_14ffd6d882.jpg

Virtually all the lanyard length is available to either side. A more versatile alternative to two separate lanyards - uses less hardware.

DEDA LANYARD END DETAIL
4291185058_c8071368a6.jpg

Rope Snap
21' of 7/16" Sterling HTP
TFL's with thimbles on Snaps
Distel Friction Hitch
9mm Sterling Accessory Cord
DFL's on Distel hitches
3/8" SS Clevis safety wired
... secures & tends Distel hitch
All rope ends dipped in Plasti Dip
All loose ends whipped & frapped

Last edited:

I'm essentially with the two lanyard group. However, I extended the two lanyard approach to some development work by Tom Dunlap and TheTreeSpyder. I'm using their Double Ended, Double Adusting (DEDA) approach. It's essentially two lanyards "joined" around the back. There's less hardware than with two lanyards. Plus, you can use virtually all the lanyard on either side. I use both sides on almost every climb - very versatile, easy to use and lighter.

Virtually all the lanyard length is available to either side. A more versatile alternative to two separate lanyards - uses less hardware.

DEDA LANYARD END DETAIL

Rope Snap
Distel Friction Hitch
DFL's on Distel hitches

I REALLY like that setup single-jack, definitely gonna try that one out!

Here's my lanyards, I wear an adjustable flip-line on my left, and I have the
6' long, 2" wide safety lanyard on my right. the safety lanyard I knot tight to keep it out of the way for most times aloft.
2 different length (and diameter) wirecores, and a rope flipline for pruning,.
attachment.php

Here's my lanyards, I wear an adjustable flip-line on my left, and I have the
6' long, 2" wide safety lanyard on my right. the safety lanyard I knot tight to keep it out of the way for most times aloft.
2 different length (and diameter) wirecores, and a rope flipline for pruning,.
attachment.php

WTF. Gimme my missing flipline back ya varmint!

I use a variety of fliplines and in honesty I often use the remains of old climbing lines for the soft ropes. I do like wire cores for some situations and the ones I use are exactly the same as TS's one in the bottom left.

Damn SingleJack you really are thinking. Or maybe I should say, you really are good at stealing Moss's/Dunlaps good ideas! I really like the look of that rig and I am mighty tired of the one-way-only adjustment of the micro grabs I use on my fliplines atm.

It looks like I am gonna play around with my climbing rig again. Argh. I hate coming here it makes me think. Ohhh, brain hurting!

Have you ever used that saddle?

That saddle looks brand new, is that your inspection saddle for when OSHA visits your site?

My saddles don't look like that more than a day or two. They get all sweaty and broke'n lookin'---

Nice set up, though

:chainsawguy:

I'm essentially with the two lanyard group. However, I extended the two lanyard approach to some development work by Tom Dunlap and TheTreeSpyder. I'm using their Double Ended, Double Adjusting (DEDA) approach. It's essentially two lanyards "joined" around the back. There's less hardware than with two lanyards. Plus, you can use virtually all the lanyard on either side. I use both sides on almost every climb - very versatile, easy to use and lighter.

DEDA LANYARD END DETAIL

Rope Snap
Distel Friction Hitch
DFL's on Distel hitches

Wow, you guys dont disappoint! I am thoroughly impressed with the helpful responses everyone's posted. THANK YOU. SINGLE-JACKS setup I find the most intriguing. Would you mind giving a brief run down of how to configure and setup your DEDA lanyard? Im brand new to the Arborist Forums (and industry; 3 years experience) and I am not familiar with some of the abbreviations being used (TFL, DFL above for example. Are those the pink and yellow rope I see?). SJ, how are the hitches secured to the clevis? Your post is very thorough, but any additional input would be great! Sounds like I should keep a wire core with adjuster as a back up for big removals, and try something light and new for everything else. This thread is coming along nicely, thanks fellas. :cheers:

*Edit: Also I see the suspender attachments with some small cordage through them, care to explain that as well? Thank you

Last edited:
TFL and DFL refer to the termination knots. Triple Fisherman and Double fisherman. That is how the hitches are secured to the clevis, (Double Fisherman).

The ends of the lanyard are Triple Fisherman with a plastic thimble to allow the snap to pivot easier and to address lanyard wear.

Another thread to check out is the one on prussik for flipline.

Disclaimer: I have not used or setup the DEDA so I am just going off what I see in pictures, please step in and correct me if I am wrong.... I hate being wrong!

Thanks Ghillie... Ive had more time to study Single-Jack's setup. Looks pretty simple; Run Lanyard Rope through side D's, loop through back webbing or secure with leg straps (as pictured), tie one snap to both ends (TFL). Attach clevis to side D's, secure Friction Hitch cord to clevis (DFL), and finally tie a Distel hitch to both ends ensuring proper orientation and that they grab properly.

This may be the answer I was looking for.

TFL and DFL refer to the termination knots. Triple Fisherman and Double fisherman. That is how the hitches are secured to the clevis, (Double Fisherman).

The ends of the lanyard are Triple Fisherman with a plastic thimble to allow the snap to pivot easier and to address lanyard wear.

Another thread to check out is the one on prussik for flipline.

Disclaimer: I have not used or setup the DEDA so I am just going off what I see in pictures, please step in and correct me if I am wrong.... I hate being wrong!

Ya hit the 10 ring :D

Back