prussik for flipline adjuster?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to TreeCo for posting a pic of his new lanyard. Full credit to him for giving me some great ideas for the following (see pic).

I'd been using the Distel for quite sometime but was not happy with the slack tending. His double swivel gave me the idea of using the rope snap eye to tend. Adjusting the length, in or out, is as smooth as glass and the Distel grabs the lanyard perfectly.

Finally, I think I can use a lanyard without using profanity ... THANKS MAN!!! ... :cheers:

4160159111_19df7d5cf1.jpg

hey. better idea for ya. (thanks tom dunlap) instead of running all that business of the rope snap use a swivel biner.

that is the ultimate rope flip line setup.

i know there are a couple pics on this site of my system.

go to the thread "old school vs new school" too. good stuff on that thread.

hey. better idea for ya. (thanks tom dunlap) instead of running all that business of the rope snap use a swivel biner.

:agree2:

I was looking for your input OD! I was afraid you were going to make me look up which thread that was in!

there he is. coming through with the pics.

but yes that is the exact setup of which i speak.

minus the black cord. whats that extra cord on the rope for?

thanks ghillie!

The black cord is just accesory cord out of my rescue gear that I use to clip into the side of my saddle. Keeps the end and loop from hanging down around my feet when I'm only using 5' of the lanyard.

I switched to just a girth hitch from the accesory cord to the lanyard instead of a prussik hitch because of an incident with a traverse where I forgot to let out the daisy chain of the lanyard before I committed my weight to swinging to another branch.

Long, confusing story short, the accesory cord didn't slide and the 20' of lanyard I needed for the swing turned into 10' and I was hanging in midair with no way to get down. Unpleasant.

Good idea, oldirty & Ghillie, THANKS (& rep)! ... I really like that swivel biner for tending a hitch on a single ended lanyard ... however, I've retired the single lanyard and moved on to a DEDA Lanyard {link}. It's working out really well (thanks Tom Dunlap, TheTreeSpyder & TreeCo)!

Last edited:
Thanks, but the idea wasn't mine or OD's. Tom Dunlap came up with it.

I usually use my climbing line as a secondary attachment when climbing so I don't often need a second lanyard. But I like the DEDA rig!

I will have to try it out!

My lanyard has New England Tech Cord tied with triple wrap scaffold hitches and a four up one down distel for adjustment.

I've milked down the slack in the tails too. Once you do there is no wasted motion when you pull down the hitch to the eye in the snap/biner. Mine has fractions of an inch so the play is minimal.

I tried to read this thread from begining to the end, but it's hard to follow , because images are no longer available. I suggest keeping the images, or deleting the whole thread. thanks

Who the **** are you to be coming in here and making 'suggestions' when you clearly have no ****ing idea the past history of the site, how the site operates, who operates the site? Just for your edification, the site was severely hacked a couple of years ago and the the owner had to totally rebuilt it with new software. All the old threads were saved, but the pics were lost in the conversion.

Who the **** are you to be coming in here and making 'suggestions' when you clearly have no ****ing idea the past history of the site, how the site operates, who operates the site? Just for your edification, the site was severely hacked a couple of years ago and the the owner had to totally rebuilt it with new software. All the old threads were saved, but the pics were lost in the conversion.
Thanks for your comments. I truly appreciate everything you wrote on the second line. I now realize I should've been more careful how I expressed myself. I also have to say , I like to be around people who speak the power of truth with humility. I've learned to respect them a lot. I also realize that on this site most people are tree cutters and chainsaw users.

Thanks for your comments. I truly appreciate everything you wrote on the second line. I now realize I should've been more careful how I expressed myself. I also have to say , I like to be around people who speak the power of truth with humility. I've learned to respect them a lot. I also realize that on this site most people are tree cutters and chainsaw users.

If you want thick skin,,you found it,,,
Jeff

Yale makes a wire core prussik that you can buy from Wesspur. For me, it's the only way to go because we cut mostly conifers and the prussik doesn't seize up when it's gets pitch in it like my macroscender did.

Always preferred a prussic style knot on my flipline over a mechanical device. Just never seen the need for anything mechanical. Although I am not against mechanical devices climb on a zigzag and think its the best bit of kits I've bought in ages.

Back