Lanyard Preference - What do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That saddle looks brand new, is that your inspection saddle for when OSHA visits your site?

My saddles don't look like that more than a day or two. They get all sweaty and broke'n lookin'---

Nice set up, though

:chainsawguy:

Saddle is about a year old. I take really good care of it. I like it much better than the old styles and much better than the new styles. I've found most damage to a saddle happens when you're NOT wearing it. I store in a tote. When I take it out, it goes on. When it comes off, it goes in the tote. It only comes in contact with the tote, me and occasionally a tree.

The guy I bought it from told me:
"If you take care of it, it will last you the rest of your life. If you don't, it will last you the rest of your life."
:D

Wow, you guys dont disappoint! I am thoroughly impressed with the helpful responses everyone's posted. THANK YOU. SINGLE-JACKS setup I find the most intriguing. Would you mind giving a brief run down of how to configure and setup your DEDA lanyard? Im brand new to the Arborist Forums (and industry; 3 years experience) and I am not familiar with some of the abbreviations being used (TFL, DFL above for example. Are those the pink and yellow rope I see?). SJ, how are the hitches secured to the clevis? Your post is very thorough, but any additional input would be great! Sounds like I should keep a wire core with adjuster as a back up for big removals, and try something light and new for everything else. This thread is coming along nicely, thanks fellas. :cheers:

*Edit: Also I see the suspender attachments with some small cordage through them, care to explain that as well? Thank you

The "pink and yellow" is the whipping and frapping I referred to - also called "seizing". Brion Toss once wrote of seizings; "... they're so strong and secure that they rival Eye Splices." (Chapman's Nautical Guides - Knots, Brion Toss, 1990, pg161)

Here's close up of another example:

4200212866_6176022e4a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ghillie... Ive had more time to study Single-Jack's setup. Looks pretty simple; Run Lanyard Rope through side D's, loop through back webbing or secure with leg straps (as pictured), tie one snap to both ends (TFL). Attach clevis to side D's, secure Friction Hitch cord to clevis (DFL), and finally tie a Distel hitch to both ends ensuring proper orientation and that they grab properly.

This may be the answer I was looking for.

It is simple ... but beware it is NOT trivial ... making a lanyard can kill you.

You've worked all out the details pretty well. I should add that the clevis' are safety wired. Most people just tighten a clevis with a wrench. However, I feel safer with the safety wire.

My lanyard is working extremely well for me but I've been refining it for months by studying the work of others, testing on the ground, low climbs ... to feel safe with it.

My advice, you do the same ... make your lanyard(s) so you feel safe with it:
one foot up, 5 feet up, 100' ...start LOW & SLOW ...

I'll be more than happy to help but remember ... It's your lanyard - your responsibility - your life.

Be safe,
Jack

The "pink and yellow" is the whipping and frapping I referred to - also called "seizing". Brion Toss once wrote of seizings; "... they're so strong and secure that they rival Eye Splices." (Chapman's Nautical Guides - Knots, Brion Toss, 1990, pg161)

Here's close up of another example:

4200212866_6176022e4a.jpg

OK.... Tell me how you do that. I am intrigued.

Excellent! Thank you very much!

That looks pretty straight forward. That should solve the mess we get on the High Ropes course when we try to secure the tails with electrical tape.

Back