need o9o advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSmith

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
bought a 090 used...been sitting a while...replaced fuel filter, pickup hose, vent hose and spark plug...should the fuel screen in the carb be cleaned as well..? it'll start and run for about 30 seconds then dies,acts like it's not getting fuel, doesn't lean out just dies. Which adjustment screws are which, low on the left, high on the right or just bass ackwards..? it's a HL 244A carb.

Mine has the same carb. It's not the one they show in the manuals or parts list. The screws are in the back rather than on the side where the L and H are. It's been a while, but I think L is left and H is right.

I would suggest completely dissassembling the carb, cleaning the parts, and installing a new carb kit. That's what worked on mine. It did the same when I first got it.

Did you get the manual?

"Acts like it is running out of fuel, doesn't lean out just dies"
Now wait just a minute. I would call that a juxiposition. How do you know it does not lean out? Anyway to try to diagnose your problem from long range I would bet on the carburetor. The diaphram that pumps the fuel will get hard with age. It still pumps a little but when you need more for sustained operation it won't pump enough. I would rebuild the carburetor and also that would include checking/replacing the screen. I don't think that is it because the screen on HLs is huge.
If you look closely on the adjustment needles, the H and L will be cast into that area to tell you one from the other. I would try 1 and 1/2 for the low and 1 for the high.
One other thing on 090s is the choke. There is a wind vane near the flywheel. When enough air flows it will turn the vane and this closes the choke. This is an early type governor. When the spring gets weak or breaks, the choke comes on too early and stops the saw from coming up to its power. I have put a rubber band on the choke linkage to temporarly cure this. You can test it this way.
Mike

I have a 046 that is doing the same thing, I have put in a new fuel filter but haven't had a chance to check it out sense then, Mine would start and run fine then after making a few cuts just die, I could try to start it all I wanted and nothing, but if I let it set for a few mine then it would try to hit then nothing, if I let it set for about an hour then it would start but as soon as I hit the throttle it would die. After I changed the filter on mine (I noticed you said you changed yours, So I'm not comparing) mine starts and runs fine but like I said I haven't had the chance to put it to some wood to see if it will do the same, if it does I figure I'm in for a carb overhaul also.

Blacksmith is this your carb? hl carb
in the blue diagram below it shows #30 as high speed and #21 as idle, don't know if that helps or not.

I haven't looked to hard but this is the only rebuild kit on the HL I could find with a fast search. You would have to check and see if it is the one that fits yours to be sure. HL rebuild kit

you're right Woodbeard, same carb, got the manual...been too lazy to send a thank ya, sorry... Rupe, on this carb it has the letters stamped on the sides but the holes where the needles go in are blocked off with(I guess welch plugs)...lostone, thats the carb, manual says HL 324A but it's a 244A, both take the same kit, tillotson #18100...thanks for all the replies guys...

I am attempting to show a picture of an HL 244A carburetor. You will notice, in the picture that the side adjustment ports are not used in that model but are marked. You will also observe that the front adjustments are also marked. The "L" farthest right in the picture indicates the adjustment needle is for the low speed adjustment (needle is just right of that). Unless your carburetor is different, yours does have it marked. The "H" is on the other side of the carburetor. Mike

Hello Mike, your picture turned out very well. I hope you make it to the " Tournament of Toadies", next weekend. I'll be there to supervise. I'm a toadie, so I will be booing the " Big Bad Belly Bar Boys", if they are loosing, but will quickly jump over and boo the toadies if they aren't doing well.
Regardless, I have my Dad- Phil Elliot to back me up should I get into any trouble.
I'm also planning on taking the coveted "Tournament of Toadies", trophy this year.
John

Sorry Blacksmith about derailing your thread. Mike is this the one you mean? Somebody must have $hit their pants and we were going to the laundramat.
John

yup Rupedoggy, l'd a seen that l guess if'n l would've cleaned the carb...heh

hey Johnny Yukon...is that a real shopin' cart or is that like a wal-mart shopin' cart or what...either way l guess ya know l gotta 'alter' dat pic... :D

Hi Blacksmith, I think it was a Sears shopping cart, but we did go thru a Taco Bell drive thru before heading to Lake Taho.
John

Gypo Logger,

That picture gives me the willys, I can't stop looking at your luscious body, but your definitely a Double Bagger!

joe

Joe you better put some duct tape over the 2 bags cause that is not human, but i wonder what colour of hair Gypo is normally or does he shave

Back