Governments Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky288XP

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know that this topic has been covered before, but what saw does the forest service use for smoke jumpers, and such?

Mostly right now the caches are stocked with Stihl 044 and 046s, 036s, a few 026s, Husky 154, 61, 266, 272, 371, and 372 saws. However when you have a large fire and they empty out the cache, a few Homelite XLs will show up.

When I worked on a "Hotshot" crew, we used 044s exclusively, as did most of the other hotshot crews in Region 6.

I was at my local combined Husky/Stihl dealer and a dude from Kirtland AFB Civil engineering picked up their brand new 3120xp. There is not a tree here over 30" in diameter. Go figure, government spending. -Matt

An xL is the only saw I had that would start reliably at -50 degrees. It rode on the sled not my 038 nor my 266.

Funny you should say that..I have an old XL-12 with a scuffed piston that starts reliably in the cold weather...I used it last winter because it would start. Consistantly. After being left in a unheated barn where the temps ranged from the teens to zero for weeks on end. (Those Central New York Winters). It always started and I cut lots of firewood with it and did lots on barn demolition. Its been a reliable saw for me since I got it at an auction for $25 bucks in 1989. And I cut a LOT of trees.

So I bought a new piston & ring. When it stops starting, I'll give it a fresh top end. (my 365 was purchased to obsolete the XL-12 and for the most part it has.)

Originally posted by weimedog
Funny you should say that..I have an old XL-12 with a scuffed piston that starts reliably in the cold weather...

Does it also boil fuel in the summer ? I have a large supply of the SXL/XL-12's but I have never felt the need to see if they would boil fuel in hot weather like most others have said they will.

Bill

Mine will boil the fuel if I don't keep the fins on the cylinder clean. I pull the ignition/flywheel/pull start cover and blow it out with air when it start its boiling thing and usually its packed with chips & junk. Probably skuffed the piston on one of those hot days when it wasn't clean.

Xl-12

I have a pair of Lombard 's of the al -42 design,which is an xl-12 take off.They will.in fact,start,and run well in colder weather.They are very contrary in the summer,they do like cold air,or I don't know how to tune them.I think the fuel boiling,is due to the placement of the tank.

when you order a saw from a local or regional cache you usually get a 044 or sometimes we still see a few 038s around. but as far as the district level goes, 044, 046, 036,066, a few 064's, 272, 372, 395. It varies, the Redmond jumpers are using both husky and stihl saws as well as Prinneville Hot Shots. A number of the Hot Shot crews are using both brands so they can double their chances of finding parts. I havent seen too many other brands used on any FS or BLM crews but you never know what your gonna get with some of these contract crews.

I have a old 064 that I use for my falling saw. most of the saws in our cache are 044. we have a couple of 046(but were trying to use them up). 5 or 6 036's ( for the ladies and smaller crew members). and of course a few 066's. there is still a 048 that our siviculture crew has in there lock-up, but they dont run it. And we still have a few 038's that we break out if we have a 044 go down.

I got a personal tour of the NIFC base in Boise this summer. I was really bummed when we walked into the warehouse where the saws, generators and other small power equipment is serviced and inventoried. At that time there wasn't even ONE chainsaw!!! They had already been dispursed to the crews and the stock of backup saws weren't on the racks. The labels on the racks all related to Stihl.

Tom

these must be R-6 crews that use both brands of saw right thats about par. never in 9 years had any trouble finding parts for crew saws on the Shots, not to mention the saw bag was well stocked for almost any situation. also when we had our bugggies with us each sawteam had a spare saw.

they put out fires after they escape initial attack. when you see a coulumn pushing 35,000 feet up there is a few Shot crews right in there, often times adding to that push. They are a Type 1 resource just like the jumpers except operations are conducted with a self contained 20 man crew.

Jacob J,
No Ive never been on any of the R-6 crew. Ive worked with most of em though. What crew were you on?

I worked in R-1 for 10 years on the Clearwater. The last 4 years Ive been here on the Deschutes. Such a diffrence. I get what you mean about the R-6 crews being a little "different". not in a bad way, just different.

Missoula and Grangeville both use Stihl and Husky also. There must be something about being a bit different than the rest of the agency folks.

I guess we all like to think we are speciaL.;)

"Speshul":D

I worked with Entiat, Union, and Wolf Creek for several years. I was lucky, I got to work for some great people throughout the years, including the current Sup. of Prineville and the former Sup. of Redmond hotshots, who I think has worked or had worked at Sisters for many years. Central Oregon is a great place to fight fires and every district and crew there is top notch.

I'll bet the Clearwater has some good fire ground too, I've been to a few in that area.

Jacob J

I just saw Lance yesterday. They are almost shut down for the season.
DJ is now the FMO of the Bend/Ft. Rock (which is now called the Newberry division of COFMS).
Did you work for Marshall on Entiat?
He worked the same district on the Clearwater that I did but a few years prior to me.
Such a small world eh??

Back