PAGING...Northern Va, and surrounding areas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's the weather treating you..? Hope you had put up enough good wood and had your preps in order before the snow hit. Always fun to watch the milk and bread rush before the snow.

:)

You forgot EGGS too. They are all making French Toast! It's nice to watch someone else shovel that crap for a change. Not 1 flake here in MASS today. Plenty cold though. Good luck in MD, VA,PA, and DC

Don't forget most important, Beer for being snowed in. and I do mean snowed in. 4wd gmc stuck in driveway. We got every bit of atleast two foot in 24hrs. should break some local records.

Shoot, Southern VA for that matter. I haven't seen this much snow linger around since I was a kid. Starting to take its toll on my wood supply as well. I got plenty, but its not covered. Car shed will be bought this year with the tax money and lots of go fast goodies for the mustang as well. :D

Global Warming......Climate Change......Global Cooling? I guess the guy in the white house did promise change.

I know they kept saying up here in Connecticut our winters would start to be like Marylands. Which it just might be this year.

But how the heck did Maryland end up turning into Michigan?

it was an interesting storm for central VA.. It snowed, then sleeted, then in rained, then it iced, then back to snow. Its made the back roads an absolute mess. Went out for a short drive to check on something and there were car fenders and bumper parts all over the place, It was about 11:30 this evening when i went out and black ice is everywhere, but if your speed is low and your patient its not world ending. But...you would see the person who thinks 4 wheel drive is ice proof fly by at 50 and then flag you down a mile down the road to pull them out of the ditch...:)

Got 36"...made it to work this morning, roads in the D.C. Metro area are nasty..I'll need more wood, snow too deep to get into the woods....got enough to last a few weeks tho.

I was/am at my house in central maryland. I bought a standard cab 5 speed 4x4 toyota tacoma last year. I have 4 new bridgestone all terrains. Only about #200 in the bed. Maybe no weight in the bed is why I got stuck. I pulled out of my driveway ok, (unplowed road, storm hours from ending). And noticed a distinct feeling of being in a boat rather than a tacoma. It was cool, but apparently a result of depth vs clearance. I made it 200 feet and once I attempted to toin right (or white, if you have a speech impediment), I got stuck. In fact, I may get stuck again in about 10 minutes. Now the plow has come by, and I have every intention of slamming into the snow wall rather than shovel.

I was/am at my house in central maryland. I bought a standard cab 5 speed 4x4 toyota tacoma last year. I have 4 new bridgestone all terrains. Only about #200 in the bed. Maybe no weight in the bed is why I got stuck. I pulled out of my driveway ok, (unplowed road, storm hours from ending). And noticed a distinct feeling of being in a boat rather than a tacoma. It was cool, but apparently a result of depth vs clearance. I made it 200 feet and once I attempted to toin right (or white, if you have a speech impediment), I got stuck. In fact, I may get stuck again in about 10 minutes. Now the plow has come by, and I have every intention of slamming into the snow wall rather than shovel.

Take a look at tire chains:

http://www.tirechains.com

These guys fill orders fast and I like the quality of the ones I got for the skid steer - just ordered another set today for my f350.

Even just putting a pair on the rear wheels will work magic - and if you live in the country these will get you to the plowed roads where you can remove them.

Since I get paid $70/hr to plow the 2 miles of road in our HOA I have really enjoyed the snow :) Takes me about 1.5 hours each time I have to take care of it (very hilly, wide gravel road). When the snow gets this deep I have to take extra time to remove snow banks so that the plow has somewhere to push the snow :)

I am amazed that we didn't loose power at all so far - Dominion had PennLine out in our area a few weeks ahead of the storm clearing the lines, looks as though that worked. We normally loose power if the weatherman even THINKS about a snow storm. Our offices in Dulles got closed so I don't have to drive in to work either - sweet!

I was fortunate enough to stay on top of this one, we were all ready..plenty of wood covered, food and all the goods.. The good ol ATV made easy work of the driveway and the neighbors. Having a blast with the kids, getting ready for the next one. They are saying another 5 to 6" Tuesday night into Wednesday. This time I got to get my butt into work in D.C. Not looking forward to it!! Could possibly turn into a 48 hr work day, normally 24..The positive though would be the extra money!!!

Snow fever

Yeah I could smell it. After 16 years of pushing snow I finally was actually prepared. Spent all day Thurs before the storm, stocked the woodshed, put the doors on the skid loaders, fueled em up, and waited for the show to begin.

What always kills me is the people that call either during or right after and want to be plowed out. Where is it they are going to go? My wife will give it 2hrs-then she shuts the answering machines off. I have my list of regulars and three days of pushing snow is about enough.:dizzy::dizzy:

We got over 2' North west of Baltimore. Problem is I am running out of places to put it. Now they are saying another 12-20" BY END OF DAY WEDNESDAY!!!

Well I got enough small pieces of wood so the wife can keep the AHS OWB going. It is a balmy 78 degrees inside, about 20 couple outside. Freezer stocked with pig and grass fed beef, chickens layin 10 -14 eggs a day ! Won't be cold or hungry... just tired. :):)

News is reporting as of now its the second snowiest winter recorded @ 40+ inches not including round two which is tuesday into wednsday. Average for the area is 14"..

Too much snow!

They are calling for 12-20 inches for Baltimore and surrounding areas Tues-Wed. We got over 2 feet this past weekend and with this much more, I will not have any place to go with it. It is getting crazy!

Oh yeah. its a white out here in eastern shore Md. about 2 foot this weekend plus the 2 foot from the previous storm and another foot of snow on the way this week. not much tree work. but made a killin building snowmen! lol

We were without power from Friday 11 PM to this evening, around 7. Cooking on the woodstove, plus melting snow for cooking, drinking, and toilet flushing. (We're on a well.)

Lots of fun! I lost a cedar, might lose another one, and felled and bucked one for a neighbor after part of it dropped on his roof. Got some nice kindling for next year!

I've got wood. Now I just need a path back to where the wood is! Ah, another 150 feet of shoveling! The driveway was bad enough! :dizzy:

:laugh:

Got more stories, but time to get some shut-eye.

When life gives ya lemons...

SNOWBALL FIGHT! Help the younguns build a snowfort, have some fun with it!

Some advice for the less experienced in snow removal: Always practice space management. Get the snow as far away as you can, every time. You never know when it'll just keep piling up. In a good winter here, I make some good money clearing out driveways that have gotten too narrow with the loader tractor. My driveway gets plowed about 1/2way across the front lawn on the north side, just to keep drifts off the actual driveway.

When life gives ya lemons...

SNOWBALL FIGHT! Help the younguns build a snowfort, have some fun with it!

Some advice for the less experienced in snow removal: Always practice space management. Get the snow as far away as you can, every time. You never know when it'll just keep piling up. In a good winter here, I make some good money clearing out driveways that have gotten too narrow with the loader tractor. My driveway gets plowed about 1/2way across the front lawn on the north side, just to keep drifts off the actual driveway.

This is great advice, I learned the hard way on our HOA road in the big December dump. The road kept getting narrower and narrower until it was JUST wide enough for a car. The last storm I told the HOA road guy (my brother) that I was going to have to hit the road more often to ensure that the snow didn't climb over the plow. I also learned the need for edge marking - there are steep ravines all along our road, leaves me sweating when I am trying to push the snow banks over the edge.

Latest posts

Back