wedge use help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What is the best way for me to learn how to use wedges in different situations? I got no one to teach me so it will have to be a book or video.
Thanks

Check out < forestapps.com > . Look for Game of Logging (GOL)programs in your area, or on the web site.
Get a variety of wedge sizes from Labonvillle, or Baileys and try them on easy leaners and smaller DBH trees ~10". BTW: never stand directly behind a wedge when smashing with a maul or axe, it could change your smile.:dizzy:

you tube has quite the range from good info to idiots.

Jeff Jepsons book 'to fell a tree' is I think a good one. More modern writing style than Dent's classic.

learning the concept of the hinge and the forces and moments involved it makes sense.

Last edited:
The skinny end goes in the slot, you pound on the thick end. The force exerted by the wedge will push the tree in exactly the same direction as the wedge points. Its not a whole lot different that driving a nail, you shouldn't need to read a book to figure it out.

The skinny end goes in the slot, you pound on the thick end. The force exerted by the wedge will push the tree in exactly the same direction as the wedge points. Its not a whole lot different that driving a nail, you shouldn't need to read a book to figure it out.

Sometimes yes, sometimes not Kong. Butt you're correct about the book thing: it takes doing it. Again, and again. :cheers:

Dropping a leaner with wedges can be tricky. Depends on DBH, species (hard or soft), crown, LZ, rot, feller's experience, etc... Not just "The skinny end....". And, it can be whole different experience with frozen ( well north of WV :hmm3grin2orange::monkey: ) wood.

The CPL and Game of Logging courses ( well worth the time and $$$$ BTW for anyone Kong ) spend some time with wedge use dropping leaners OPPOSITE to the direction of lean. There's a method to determining the 'lift' and wedge placement based on the angle of lean, the crown weight and direction, height of the beast, bored cuts for efficiency, etc... No, it ain't just "The skinny end...".:cry:

For us, wedges are part of the belt pack. Used often even in non leaners for greater control. You got to try it.

JMNSHO

Back