Getting a OWF in the spring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeAvilaTree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Planning on getting an OWF in the spring, I'm starting to stockpile wood now for next winter that's split larger than I normaly sell. I'm splitting everything 6-8" in dia 2' long. I figured that would be a decent size my father could handle. I have lots of larger crotches and knurls, has anyone had trouble burning the really big stuff or should I cut them down?Or is there generally no problem?

Just split it small enough that you can get it in the firebox and whatever furnace you buy should burn oversized pieces mixed in just fine.
Do some shopping around as far as features and price go. Be aware that some manufacturers have jumped through whatever hoops necessary to get thier furnaces to qualify for the $1500.00 tax credit.
Good luck.

knurls & crotchs are my favorite things for my owb. They seem to burn the longest. Put the word out to anyone you know who burns wood you'll take all twisted,knurl,crotchs they don't want.
Most folks don't want to mess with them.

The big stuff will burn and last a while, you just have to make sure there is enough coals or smaller pieces mixed in to keep the fire going good.
If you throw a big chunk on a small fire it will burn out before the big chunk "takes off"

I've put some clean medium size stumps in mine and had no problem burning them. they uprotted and left 90% of the roots in the ground.. as long as you can get them in there and there are coals, your good to go

Back