what climb saw has the best power to wieght ratio under $500?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
one of my echo saws just went down and so im looking to buy another climbsaw so i have at least 2 funtioning saws on the job incase the worst happens. i was wondering what saw is the best climb saw for most applications under $500.

We used echo 341 for years at around $300. Then finally started buying small stihls -- the 200t is top knotch but yes at $600 its spendy (but completely worth it). We now all use the 192t in the trees unless its a removal; its nice to have the 200t power when you're going thru alot of wood at production. The 192t is around $300 also, plenty of coin left over compared to the 200t. I guess the prices might be higher on the island :-/ I see you have echo 360s, I tried that once...too much bubble shaped plastic for my liking.

Plus, stihls can fly out of the tree and stihl be okay :greenchainsaw: :clap:

Good luck!

we've seen this thread before!

I tried posting a similar thread a while back, specifically excluding the MS 200T in a request for comparable saws.

Quite frankly it didn't work too well. It would seem that almost no one likes any other saw for climbing a tree. There were many good analysis and comparison of various saws I would suggest you read here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=100392&highlight=stihl

You will find comments and recommendations on quite a few other top handled saws.

Last edited:
The Solo 637 has 2.6 hp or 40.2cc and selling for $430 Canadian. Saw this at a trade show. Not sure how it would compare to a 338xpt or ms200t though.

The 338 Husky/Jonsy 2139T is lighter than a 200t, and faster, if it has the muffler opened up. and the 200T only has the screen removed. The saw is a few cc's larger, and has a fair bit more torque as well. Very well made product. The 200T is a great saw, but I prefer the Elux's...Someone has to go with the number 2 market leader...

I've heard a few reports on the Solo, which weren't great...

The new Husky T435 sounds OK, but looks cheaply made (its a Redmax)..and is lower on power. Same goes for the Dolmar 3410TH.

The 338 Husky/Jonsy 2139T is lighter than a 200t, and faster, if it has the muffler opened up. and the 200T only has the screen removed. The saw is a few cc's larger, and has a fair bit more torque as well. Very well made product. The 200T is a great saw, but I prefer the Elux's...Someone has to go with the number 2 market leader...

The new Husky T435 sounds OK, but looks cheaply made (its a Redmax)..and is lower on power. Same goes for the Dolmar 3410TH.
I have seen what you do, and know your views on the devil saw. All I have ever used is, you know, anyways, maybe one day I will try it. I don't want to buy one, but I will try to run one, there must be something to it. Coming from you, an excellent big tree killer.:cheers:

I have a graveyard of old echos, husky's and stihls.

-the echo is the most durable but it cuts too slow

-the husky is nice but tempermental and, the air filter is too close to the mess coming off the bar and chain (gets ####ted up too quick). and who is the fool at husky who thought of making an easy access spark plug cover?? what a dumbass...

-my favorite saw ever was the 020-T...it lasted forever and had no problems (had 4 in my company..all went close to 6 years). Stihl screwed up when they made the MS 200. It is tempermental and it definately does not last as long...obviously they don't want them to last...

Right now, I just can't think of any saws that are really good at all....I still think that Stihl is the best, but I am looking to switch if anything better comes out...

can you still get parts for the 020-t.kenny

Small parts like fuel lines and gaskets but any body parts, ignition or carb parts forget it. Chain sprokets are probaly still available. I stocked up on 020 parts years ago and glad I did.

JC, I would have agreed with your statement about five years ago or more. I thought Sthil screwed up when they did away with the old style 020 in favor of the single jet carb plagued 020T. Worthless. When MS 200's came out with the dual jet adjustable carbs those saws changed my mind. They are much lighter and much more user friendly than the 020 ever was. I'll even go as far to say that the MS 200 is as reliable if not more reliable than a 020.

Last edited:
You guys seem to have some nomenclature bassackwards. The 020-T is essentially the same saw as the MS200T....

It's the magnesium 020, and later the 020 Super that is long discontinued, and next to impossible to get parts for.

It was a good saw, but also problematic. We used 020's back in the mid '70's, before the carb boot problem was solved. So we switched to the Echo 302S. Didn't know about the Poulan S 25..and didn't use them till about 1989, and just a bit......

The last few years, tStihl has figured out the carb issues with the MS 200. Most appear to be quite reliable these days....

But I still prefer the Husky/Jonsy....more torque, lighter, dead on reliable. Motors are indestructible. And as much as $300 cheaper.

You must be talking about a different saw Ax-Man. There is hardly any weight difference between the 020-T and the MS200-T. The two saws that I compared look almost identical except for the model number and that the new ones have the stupid gas/oil caps.

Gotta tell you that, I have good friends in the tree business. We have all discussed this and all agree that the 020-T was a better saw. Simply put...they last longer and are less tempermental. Just to make it clear, I am not talking about one of those old clunky stihls from the 70's and 80's...I used poulan back then...much more power than stihl back in the day (we all know that poulan now sucks...but back in the day they had balls).

To each their own I guess. So far...I think that the MS-200T's are problematic...and the carbs seem to be the biggest problem!!!

Last edited:

I'm STILL loving my 2139, Rog. Haven't opened it up yet, though.

I'm long since done with Stihl.

MS-192 is the way to go

I have two ms-192 and they are fantastic!! I bought my first one new 3 years ago, and I have had no complaints. Currently I have upped the bar lenght to 16' on both. I have had my 192 out preform finicky husky 338's and ms-200's. Keep it tuned and it will take care of you. light, fuel efficient, and well balanced.

Late this past fall I bought the Jonsered 2139 T for $400, before tax. I thought it was a dog when new but with break in it is quite strong. Small things irritate me though. The fuel caps can be difficult to access behind the handle, the start and stop switch feels weird, and the trigger is hard to fully depress with gloves. No game breakers though. The lanyard hole is nice, it doesn't snag small stuff like a ring. Torqy midrange. At WOT I don't see much difference in power compared to my buddies 200 T's, however, I am not sure how well his saws are tuned. RBtree, your posts convinced me to buy this thing and so far I am quite happy. Thank you. I will mod the muffler in the near future.

If the new Echoes are built like my old cs-3000, they can live a long time. I bought mine in 1989, still runnin. A small block of wood holds the carburetor linkage in place and I had to put a 12 inch bar on it to compensate for its lost compression. I still use it for really, really tight places and near metal hazards. I hate the feel of the 360t.

I was hunting around this site last winter with the same question as yours. I believe I came across a pro using Dolmars and was quite happy with them. I almost bought one but figured the price difference was not enough.

The solo looks interesting. I heard their horsepower and weight specs might be a little inflated. I would like to know more.

The 192 is very affordable but rather weak, great as back up. The used 200 T would be a good way to go and should be explored.

Bottom line on a climb saw is that unreliability and a lack of power is unproductive and possibly unsafe when weight must be released fast. (especially weird wood like box elder) I know I Sound like all the other guys who want to spend your money but... Don't skimp on your primary, there is more to consider than just money. If you really like the 200 T, make it happen.

What dealers do you have available in Hawaii?

I noticed the same thing with mine; it didn't get really powerful until it was broken in a little.

So far, mine seems to only get stronger with use. Don't forget to re-tune after breaking it in.

I also agree the Echo's are tough suckers; I used a 3400 up until last spring, when it finally died after 5 years of almost daily non-stop use.

I like the J-Red, though; the Echo was never a powerhouse.

Yeah, a new saw needs periodic adjustment as it breaks in. I have given it a couple tweaks but I would like to put another gallon of fuel through it before a serious tachometer tune.

Latest posts

Back