Tree Pedo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats your most common trees for pruning? I am an hour north of niagara Falls and 40% Silver, Manitoba Maple, 25% Sugar, 10% oaks and 10% Black locust, beech few others and aside from the oak and m/b the beech I run into difficulties quite often and used to just practice hitting a limb about 1/2 way up and then work my way up but that istill requires alot of rope progress( throwing or pushing your line ahead). Alot of tree I work in are no where near being a ladder climb and Most of my work is serious crown reduction/drop crotch pruning( serious splitting and multi-leaders) I talk home owners out of cutting down the tree so I can prune and cable. Its much harder work than a removal. for me any ways. I need to get as high as possible and in the centre of wide spreading crowns.

Sorry hit the button I'll try to finish my train of thought more like train wreck of thought at this point
in the centre of really wide spreading trees and rarely get a clean shot off and need to shoot hard and retrieve or move the TP back into the centre of the tree. I always set up the rope walker usually with running bowline i1/2 the time and the other 1/2 just get tied back down to an anchor. So for me its not that easy. My last job was over mature sugar and mature sugar and 3 over mature silvers I was setting two and three climbing lines set from the ground so i didn't have to make to many changes in my tip. our trees mb a bit different to. Needs some sleep got to get my Ash up in an Ash tomorrow.

Fear not the EDIT button. :hmm3grin2orange: It sure is MY friend!

I don't do much pruning; I do about 95% removals, on maples and oaks of differing varieties with a smattering of conifer just to keep the saws dirty.

Same goal, though... get a line set as high up as practical, and near the middle.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that there's people out there thinking, and trying to come up with new ideas. :cheers:

Fear not the EDIT button. :hmm3grin2orange: It sure is MY friend!

I don't do much pruning; I do about 95% removals, on maples and oaks of differing varieties with a smattering of conifer just to keep the saws dirty.

Same goal, though... get a line set as high up as practical, and near the middle.

Good point but I personally choose to retrieve my TP because the throw bag has let me down way to often on missed shots, isolations and rope positioning. My surveys at shows, tree climbing competitions and people who call and email are telling me Yeah the bag sucks and their happy there is an alternative. So We agree to disagree:cheers::cheers:

Thanks for the explanation regarding the pricing confusion.

Can't share any big secrets; I just do it the way you're supposed to. Most of the people who hang bags up are trying to pull them back through a crotch. I don't know why you'd want to do that; it makes way more sense to untie and pull just the line though. Tie your climb line on with a nice tight clove as close to the end as you can get it, and it'll flip up though even a narrow crotch well. As for those super-tight vee crotches... they're lousy TIP's anyways, so why you would use one unless you absolutely had to is beyond me. I'd rather toss a bag through and set a friction saver, which doesn't fit in the TP anyway.

The TP requires much more caution when throwing than a bag does; its extremely hard construction means you're limited to throwing in directions where breakable objects aren't- not always a possibility in our line of work. I don't get trees out in the open, I get trees inches from valuable property that the average idiot with a saw can't handle. It takes an exceptional idiot like me! :hmm3grin2orange:

One could throw a soft bag, and then tie the TP on... but if you have to go through the extra step, you're not saving anything, are you?

In over 20 years of tree work, I've only hung a bag up a few times. Using one properly is a basic skill, not an exceptional talent for the elite. :cheers:

You can use the treepedo to set and retrieve your average two ring friction saver.:givebeer: My first treepedo was an hour glass shaped candle stick, i cut the stem off and welded ali tube on to give it a few more inches to accept ropes and and my wife was not happy about that and then I squished the ring on the bag so it would fit in the cone and found that i needed it to work in both diirections and so It was born the two way torpedo Treepedo. I feel like a broken record so just buy one and lets move on to my next invention. and this time i will consult you first.:dizzy:

Back