stihl stolen kinda

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel3408

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a comment, there's a guy that stole one of my ms 200ts and my name is on it and he truer to scrach it off but it was ingraved but then his name was sharpied on the pull start cover and I took it back but I guess he bought it from someone but it was my saw does it count as stealing or not?

hey, we all buy used saw's when we can get a good deal. the question is. did the buyer know it was stolen and did they buy the saw in good faith. I think we should at least get all the contact info, address, license plate #'s from vehicle. and then let it be known you bought a saw. it is up to the owner to post a warning that their saw or equipment was stolen. we can not help if we don't know.
in this case with your name etched in the saw, sound's like he is indeed an accompliss to theft.

If you can prove it is your saw by having a sales receipt or something that identifies the saw....then call the Police and let them get it back for you. It may be your saw......but it would be far better to let the saw return to you within the law than it would be to take a 3rd party. The Police might be far better qualified to track down the people that stole it.

If you don't have some orignal paperwork or something to show that the saw is yours.....it might be a little tougher.

I buy used product all the time (I own a car audio store).

I copy the sellers drivers license,and they sign a form stating they obtained the product by legal means.

When someone comes with a claim that a product I purchased was stolen from them,I show them the signed form with the d/l picture on it,and offer to sell it to them for what I paid for it.I consider this a finders fee.If they wish to call police,I will agree to let the police take the product as evidence.

I have had several times that product was sold to me that was not stolen, claimed stolen.This seems to weed those out.

It is a crime to KNOWINGLY purchase stolen property.

Offer the guy that bought the stolen saw a finders fee.

If it were my saw and it was back in my hands if someone wanted it back they would have to take it from me - not likley to happen.

If you can prove it is your saw by having a sales receipt or something that identifies the saw.....

If you don't have some original paperwork or something to show that the saw is yours.....it might be a little tougher.

:agree2:I have marked my saws in such a way as to be able to prove they are mine.( Engraved my Phone number on inside of breather cover) While I have been building my splitter,I welded my initials on the bottom of the axle on also on a couple of other places so I can prove ownership.

Hopefully I never have to prove a saw is mine but some type of Identifying mark,number,etc may go a long way..

loadthestove, sounds good that you mark them but how would anyone buying it know that you didn't just sell it to someone else?
I just bought a full mechanic set of snap on tools and boxes last week at an auction sale. Guys name is all over different stuff. Think it was stolen? I've been buying stuff at this place for over 20 yrs, said it was an estate sale. I buy lots of stuff at auction and lots of it is marked with names.

Isn't that what got OJ convicted, trying to "retrieve" his own stuff? Several years ago I purchased a rifle that some guy had put up as collateral at a parts store and was contacted by the police a few months later that it had ben stolen. I had to turn it in as evidence and was not in any way reimbursed for it. Live and learn.

I got a comment, there's a guy that stole one of my ms 200ts and my name is on it and he truer to scrach it off but it was ingraved but then his name was sharpied on the pull start cover and I took it back but I guess he bought it from someone but it was my saw does it count as stealing or not?

Dang, looks like they stole your grammar, spelling and punctuation also. I recommend you take that back as well, but fletcher is right - it's a crime to posess stolen property.

Lots of good info here. However, my shop is next to the 'scrap yard' (yes its hard to see where one starts and the other ends,....) but THEY seem to be exempt from recieving stolen goods. They won't tell me why or how, but they take alot of knowing stolen goods. (face it a guy who buys a large roll of copper wire isn't going to scrap it, period.)

I would assume to be prosecuted, you would have to believe it was stolen. Merely possessing it may mean you lose it. Of course it helps to not be a thief, one would imagine.

Uncle M, I hope that diesel guy gets his grammer back, they're nice around Christmas.

When are you getting started on the 'second seven?' :)

That saw will always be yours unless you sell it or give it away. The guy that stole it can't sell something that is not his. The guy that bought it has to go back on the thief for his money back. If someone stihls my saw and then sells it to my neighbor and I see it in his garage you bet your ass its coming home with me.

Latest posts

Back