New Tractor and Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of some of the pine trees I pulled out of the gully. This tree I pulled yesterday, 18" at the small end, 33" at the big end, 48' long, pulled out of the gully.
attachment.php

attachment.php

You have to be careful with the power of the winch, this tree was over 22" where it was broke in half while pulling.
attachment.php

This piece was close to 40" at the butt end and 20' long
attachment.php

attachment.php

After pulling out the log that is chained up on the right the other log slide straight to the bottom of the gully. I had to pull out about 140' of cable to get down there to get it out. These logs are 22" at the big end, 14" at the small end and almost 40' long each.
attachment.php

I ended up breaking the chain that drives the drum on the winch today. One of the pins in the chain sheared in half. Wallenstein is sending ne a new chain for the morning, they told me that this is the first chain they have ever had break. They also would cover labour if I wanted to take it to my dealer to be fixed, but I think I can handle putting the new chain on and if not I will take it in. I would also like to note that my tractor is loaded up very well for weight. It doesnt matter what I am pulling I have not had a tire off the ground yet. On the frozen ground it will pull/slide the tractor if there is nothing for the blade to dig into. I also replaced the 3/8's cable with 1/2" swedge (9/16" cable pulled through a die to make it 1/2"). This new cable should hold up alot better and has a much higher wll than the 3/8's.

Looks good, get some pictures of the chain repair, never worked on one of them. Good customer service they gave you!

Will do, the chain is supposed to be in before noon, and I plan on fixing it in the afternoon. They said it should be about a 10 min job. I will take pics.

Thanks, someday ill have one. Maybe next year. gotta save my pennies and sell some toys :cry:

Isn't that swedge cable the same stuff they use as OE on tow trucks?

I'm not sure it could be. I know most skidders use swedge for their main line. It is stiffer then regular wire rope, but much stronger and durable.

Here are a couple of pics I took this morning of the hickory I still have left to split, I am guessing it will be around 13 or 14 full cord. The log on the left is 33" at the butt.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is the broken chain.
attachment.php

And a pic of the back of the winch with the guard still in place.
attachment.php

And with the guard removed (two bolts to remove)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Good looking pile. Glad to see you got that pine out, looked like a fun day.
Hickory makes for good burning.

Did the old guy keep up??

You've got some nice looking timber in the background

Here is a pic of the top of the drum, the sprocket is directly behind the drum.
attachment.php

I had to loosen off the chain tensioner by turning the nut in.
attachment.php

I then fed the new chain over the drum sprocket and under the pto sprocket.
attachment.php

After the chain was fed through it was just a matter of putting the master link in to join the chain together.
attachment.php

Good looking pile. Glad to see you got that pine out, looked like a fun day.
Hickory makes for good burning.

Did the old guy keep up??

You've got some nice looking timber in the background

Ed did an excellent job, he really knows how to put trees on the ground! The pics are my Fil's place, most of the timber is in the gullies or just on top of the gullies. The crown jewel of timber on his farm is a 4 acre cherry bush, it's really nice!

This is the completed chain.
attachment.php

And here is a pic of my ugly mug holding my new now bent snatch block (it didnt like the force of some of those big pines)
attachment.php

It took me about 1/2 an hour from start to finish to replace the chain, but now that I have done it I could half the time if I did it again. I will say that Wallenstein was really good about making sure I had the part for this morning. Yesterday when I mentioned that I might just put a new link in where the chain broke the fellow I was talking with on the phone said he didnt recommend it and sent me a new chain.

Last edited:
If i get one ill definitely keep them in mind. Thanks for the pictures, never seen one up close like that. Looks like you have a lot of cable or is that what you took off?

If you mean on the roll behind the winch, that is the other half of the new cable I bought. I got a really good deal by buying the remainder of a spool (275'). I put half on a couple of days ago, and am saving the rest for future use.

If you mean on the roll behind the winch, that is the other half of the new cable I bought. I got a really good deal by buying the remainder of a spool (275'). I put half on a couple of days ago, and am saving the rest for future use.

Yup, Its good to have extra of that stuff, don't buy synthetic either,glorified #### string. Only thing I liked about it is when it break sits not dangerous. Other then that it sucks at doesn't belong in the woods. my opinion tho.

Latest posts

Back