Huge snow storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We got dumped on in a big way this week. On 2/24 we got 6" of wet snow over a 30 hr period.....then on 2/25-26 we got hit with what was supposed to be 12-18,but the system stalled over us,and we were only 20 miles from the rain snow line,so the snow was extremely heavy and wet...we got 31" all told....my roof on my wood pile partially collapsed,all my wood is soaked now,Ive got maybe 1/2 cord of dry wood left.This stinks.My daughter shovelled off the roof,so the damage was not bad,it is an easy fix,and I see where i went wrong,not enough nails in one upright,the neails sheered right off from the weight of the snow....pics to follow...I plowed 31 hrs straight,and blew the rear end on my Dodge/Cummins,had to finish with the GMC 8.1,thank god for that truck...it took me 1/2 hr to shovel a path in 3ft of snow to the OWB.....

We've had about 24" this week. All of it very heavy. I push snow with a tractor but I was wondering how many guys trashed their rear ends, drivelines, etc. trying to plow this heavy snow with trucks. It wasn't a whole lot of fun. And I like snow. But just not that much sticky wet snow all at once.

The wood piles are buried but nothing a shovel won't take care of. We did have some gusty wind Thursday night that blew some of my covers off leaving my piles exposed to the falling precipitation so I've been bringing my wood in 24 hours earlier to allow any excess moisture to evaporate.

We've had about 24" this week. All of it very heavy. I push snow with a tractor but I was wondering how many guys trashed their rear ends, drivelines, etc. trying to plow this heavy snow with trucks. It wasn't a whole lot of fun. And I like snow. But just not that much sticky wet snow all at once.

The wood piles are buried but nothing a shovel won't take care of. We did have some gusty wind Thursday night that blew some of my covers off leaving my piles exposed to the falling precipitation so I've been bringing my wood in 24 hours earlier to allow any excess moisture to evaporate.
Where were you New England guys a month or so ago when Nebraska and Iowa were both getting pounded? Welcome to the "global warming" hatred club. :greenchainsaw:

:agree2: We kept getting pounded with snow and ice storms from Dec. 8 until a week ago. We had 2 major ice storms, the first one which hit Dec. 23 left us without power for 3 days. The second hit us in Jan. and we were without power for 6 1/2 days. Had heavy snow and high winds with both storms. All that on top of the record breaking snowfall we have had this year. The only way we have been able to leave the farm since Dec. 17 is by 4 wheel drive pickup or tractor. We can't use the dozers because there is nowhere to push the snow.

Several buildings have had roofs collapse. Some fires where the fire dept. couldn't get to.

It's been a hard winter. Glad it's about over.

Best of luck to you guys out east.

Deleted by author: For some reason the full quote did not follow the post.

Last edited:
I only listen to what the National Weather Bureau's board of directors tells us. Global warming to any significant degree does not exist. If the scentists and climatologists at the the NWB are not convinced that global warming exists, then nobody in Washington trying to mount a political campaign is going to convince me either.

I do know that this year I am experiencing the coldest winter in 60 years and the largest amount of snowfall ever recorded in Eastern Nebraska--90 consecutive days of snow and ice on the ground and counting. If it all starts to melt at once, we will have some of the worst flood conditions that have ever been recorded as the ice jams up everywhere.

Tons of ashes are being dropped all over the rivers to help get the melt started earlier, but most agree that's like urinating on a forest fire.

Bummer about your wood.

Yea, I was gonna say, that's nothing compared to the 72" we got in Pa.

To the global warming haters...don't forget they had to bring in snow on tractor trailer to Vancouver for the games b/c they didn't have snow. Weird weather (72" in Pa vs 0" in Vancouver) is a sign of global warming.

Bummer about your wood.

To the global warming haters...don't forget they had to bring in snow on tractor trailer to Vancouver for the games b/c they didn't have snow. Weird weather (72" in Pa vs 0" in Vancouver) is a sign of global warming.

You meant "climate change", right? Use this phrase and you can't be wrong if the climate cools OR warms. Don't forget that higher taxes and perhaps a new government agency or two will solve the "problem."

Bummer about your wood.

Bummer about your wood.

I'm with this guy...weird weather (ie. climate change) is occurring around the world. I fall on the side that it is man made... it kills me the people that step outside and feel brutal winter weather, and then laugh at the notion of global warming. It's more than that...

Where were you New England guys a month or so ago when Nebraska and Iowa were both getting pounded? Welcome to the "global warming" hatred club. :greenchainsaw:

yeah, this winter has been crap for sure. We haven't had it as bad as you guys up north, but no paradise either. Funny thing, i was reading an article today in the paper and it was about how nothing is news until it happens on the west or east coast. It does seems to make alot of sense. Neb. and Iowa get 2ft. of snow, nobody cares, nothing new. Sames things happens on the east coast and the world is ending.

Read an email about how some place up in Michigan got 54 in. of snow and 90 m.p.h. winds. Snapped off utility poles, drifts covered the cars and snow piles were easily 30-40 ft. high on each side of the road. You either worked to dig yourself out, or you died. Did any major network go up to cover it? Of course not. did FEMA show up? Doubt it.

On the topic of global warming, I wish it was happening. If I had to choose between that and global cooling, i'll take warming. I'm ready for some 60 degree winters around here for sure. I dont think human activities have much bearing on the earths temps at all.

Last edited:
While the North East has been getting pelted with heavy (but warm) snow, the PNW has been warm and extremely dry.

I was bucking firewood in just a t-shirt this morning. What little snow we had has melted.

Normally at this time of year there would be two feet of snow on the ground and the temperature would be 20 - 25 degrees F.

Seems like a typical winter to me, nothing special or unusual for Michigan. I have seen much worse, starting 50 years ago.

That's why it is called winter: It's cold, it blows, it snows and it is not fit for man nor beast outdoors.

Our temps and snowfall are average for Michigan this year. In other words, it sucks. This situation is not due to climate change, global warming or any other ignorant and contrived nonsense. It is winter in Michigan. Weather by definition is unpredictable and can be lethally brutal at any moment.

It's funny how all the alarm and hand-wringing about climate change comes from those with very few cold winters or hot summers under their belt.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you don't want Kneejerk to have to leave the safety of the Political section and his Grandmother's basement to tell us how crazyy we all are for not believing in global warming after record low temps and snowfall totals.

Next they are gonna tell us the Ice Ages are caused by Global Warming.

Seems like a typical winter to me, nothing special or unusual for Michigan. I have seen much worse, starting 50 years ago.

That's why it is called winter: It's cold, it blows, it snows and it is not fit for man nor beast outdoors.

Our temps and snowfall are average for Michigan this year. In other words, it sucks. This situation is not due to climate change, global warming or any other ignorant and contrived nonsense. It is winter in Michigan. Weather by definition is unpredictable and can be lethally brutal at any moment.

It's funny how all the alarm and hand-wringing about climate change comes from those with very few cold winters or hot summers under their belt.

Well the whole west side of the state has actually had about half the snowfall we had last year. Not saying that it is sign of "global warming " or anything. I'm just saying there are zealots out there on this subject and I by no means claim to know anything, but it still kills me that all you "experts" who claim to know better, or have years "under your belt" to claim to know better, can out right deny it is happening. Maybe you should all be called to Capital Hill to testify against it's existence. Man-kind has a never ending history of destroying parts of our planet, and then seeing in hindsight how self centered we were, we then try preserving what is left. Maybe it is a natural cycle or maybe not?

"Well the whole west side of the state has actually had about half the snowfall we had last year."
---------------
Wait until next year. Grand Rapids and Cadillac have some of the heaviest snowfalls that I have ever seen. While I may have a dry one next year in Nebraska, the Great Lakes will unload in a fury. It's your turn. :spam:

Back