Poulan 4900...before & after.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That said I do agree that you might as well have 85cc if you can, but tells us how that thing works that 24" bar. I bet it runs it real well as I seen what Mikes 4200 did with my 28" bar on it in some Oak at Levi's.

I haven't had it in any hardwood that would span the bar yet. But I cut up a downed pine that was about 30" in diameter with it.

Softwood...I know, but the bar was buried. I am 6'-5" and 260 lbs. and this is the first saw I have owned that I could "lean on" and it didn't care.

Maybe I should have gotten a bigger saw sooner.

I haven't had it in any hardwood that would span the bar yet. But I cut up a downed pine that was about 30" in diameter with it.

Softwood...I know, but the bar was buried. I am 6'-5" and 260 lbs. and this is the first saw I have owned that I could "lean on" and it didn't care.

Maybe I should have gotten a bigger saw sooner.

You and I are about same size.. Now that you have the big saw you need a 14.5 lb. "Monster Maul" to split the wood. See that Baileys now sells them. Mine is 30 years old!!!!! Great looking saw.

You and I are about same size.. Now that you have the big saw you need a 14.5 lb. "Monster Maul" to split the wood. See that Baileys now sells them. Mine is 30 years old!!!!! Great looking saw.

I'd better not. I know... as soon as I got it...someone would dare me to hold it at arms length, lower it down until it touched my nose....then raise it back up.

You know how those things usually work out. :cry:

No problem....(back in my 20's), but I'm 55 now. :greenchainsaw:

I'd better not. I know... as soon as I got it...someone would dare me to hold it at arms length, lower it down until it touched my nose....then raise it back up.

You know how those things usually work out. :cry:

No problem....(back in my 20's), but I'm 55 now. :greenchainsaw:

Hear ya. Like the old sledge hammer trick! I can do it with a 5 iron!!!!!

Nice!!!!

Poulan 4900 lives again!

Sorry for the extremely poor pics (cell phone). My digital camera is in for repair…so these will have to do.

Before:
4900_A.jpg

The cell phone did some really funky things with the green color, it doesn’t look anything like this at all. I didn’t go back with “Poulan Green”…but what I picked is not THIS color either.

After:
4900_1.jpg

4900_2-1.jpg

4900_3-1.jpg

These two pics are a little closer to the real color, but still not right.

4900_4-1.jpg

4900_5-1.jpg

Note: For you “Old Poulan Lovers”, if you are considering any of the saws in this series (4200-4400-4900-5200-5400) I would recommend you go with the 5200-5400 and get 85cc’s.

The reason I say this….is because these saws are HEAVY, they are built like a tank!

Mine, (with a 24” bar, chain, full of fuel and oil) weighs in at a hefty 23 lbs…… so you might as well have the extra power.

My 4900 is more than powerful enough for anything I do, but all of these saws will be heavy….so just keep that in mind.

Great job restoring it!!!

poulan 4900

the movie Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) has a machine very similar to 4900, but it is red! would be a 4900? beautiful machine!:greenchainsaw::bowdown:

poulan 4900

Sears may be, if only because the movie is very similar to yours, by the way was very pretty! I have an old stihl 051 I want to leave it as beautiful as yours!

Last edited:
4900 red

be ... I was looking at pictures (texas chainsaw massacre 2 1986), Bill Johnson uses a machine with a large bar that looks like a 4900 in red! always wondered what was that machine!

very nice work!

i hear you on the cell-phone camera color reproduction.

mine the light has to be JUST RIGHT to give any kind of color reproduction at all.

a little too bright and all the color is washed out. a little too dark and everything is dull and dingy looking--

very nice rebuild on the old poulan!:cheers:

I cant help but notice that this beautiful poulan is at the foot of your bed, I would be a dead man if I pulled a move like that at home.:yourock:

"I was looking at pictures (texas chainsaw massacre 2 1986), Bill Johnson uses a machine with a large bar that looks like a 4900 in red! always wondered what was that machine! "

Not many people know this but, Bob Elmore did most of the chainsaw work as Leatherface in Chainsaw 2. He is uncredited in the movie. I do believe he was credited for stunts though. Bill was too scared of the violent scenes.

If you watch the movie closely you can definitely tell the difference between Bill and Bob's performances. For example the scene where he is chasing stretch through the under ground tunnels or when he trashes the radio station. Bob was way more effective at being scary. His body language is much more serious and less goofy than Bill's. Bill did do a great job with the close ups though.

I think the saw was probably a 4900. Only because the 4900s were the only saw with that look that were still being made at the time the movie was filmed and every other saw in the film, Lefty's dolmar 112 and homie and mac, were all brand new. So why would they have a used saw for Leatherface? It was definitely a poulan and not a craftsman as green paint can bee seen under the orange paint job.

Would be nice to know for sure though, exactly which model it was.

poulan 245A

"I was looking at pictures (texas chainsaw massacre 2 1986), Bill Johnson uses a machine with a large bar that looks like a 4900 in red! always wondered what was that machine! "

Not many people know this but, Bob Elmore did most of the chainsaw work as Leatherface in Chainsaw 2. He is uncredited in the movie. I do believe he was credited for stunts though. Bill was too scared of the violent scenes.

If you watch the movie closely you can definitely tell the difference between Bill and Bob's performances. For example the scene where he is chasing stretch through the under ground tunnels or when he trashes the radio station. Bob was way more effective at being scary. His body language is much more serious and less goofy than Bill's. Bill did do a great job with the close ups though.

I think the saw was probably a 4900. Only because the 4900s were the only saw with that look that were still being made at the time the movie was filmed and every other saw in the film, Lefty's dolmar 112 and homie and mac, were all brand new. So why would they have a used saw for Leatherface? It was definitely a poulan and not a craftsman as green paint can bee seen under the orange paint job.

Would be nice to know for sure though, exactly which model it was.

hello I agree with your comment about Leatherface's chainsaw! and knew that the machine of the first film (1974) is a Poulan 245A? I've never seen such a machine!:chainsawguy:

Poulan Green

Looks really nice ,in green and a great job at that! I just picked up a 6000 this weekend and have not had any real time to even start it up since I got back home.

Mine will definatley need a muffler, kill switch, and choke lever and something a little bigger than an 18'" bar.

For the $$ I couldn't pass it up though. Good luck with it and go getit dirty!!

Latest posts

Back