hawken or CB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dls ranger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy OWB and have a hawken and CB dealer within an hour. Seems alot of people have CB, but the new hawken (not the global hydronics) looks like a good stove. Just wanted to hear imput from people on both brands. Thanks.

CB5036 owner here. I love the furnace and would buy it again in a heartbeat.....but I won't need to for 25 years :) The 25 year warranty on the CB was a kicker for me. The dealer was the one who sealed the deal though because when I suggested that I would like to install it myself he said that I could call him anytime and he would gladly give me advise and help for free.

The dealer can make a big difference - you may need to depend on him for emergency help so make sure he is someone you can trust and get some help from. The CB dealer here even leaves common parts at a friends house in a closer town to help out folks that are too far away.

Get the CB. There have been some issues in the past with hawken. Do a search and read about it.

I have never heard of anyone complain about a CB. There a lot of owners on this site and most sing the praises of this stove. I myself own a Shaver so I am not biased.

CB has a very good reputation. Many disgruntaled hawken owners. They may have got things straighten out at Hawken by now, I don't know. But do yourself a favor and save the headache if they didn't, get the Central Boiler.

I have the Hawken HE-1100 and have had it for two winters now. Only issue I have had was a broken power conduit to the door and Hawken sent me a new one without me even telling them that it had broken yet. The kit contained a different set up to prevent it from breaking again.

I have had no complaints and Hawken appears to have a good warranty also, however I would base my decision on the dealer. I think Hawken and CB are both good OWB's. The dealer would be and was for me the deciding factor as to who I would go with.

I hope you like to cut wood (I do)....... because OWB's really eat it!

Hawken

Finishing up my first year with a Hawken HE-1100, So far so good :)

I heat an old 1200 square foot farm house with baseboard heat and crumby insulation(also heating domestic hot water). I load the firebox 1/3 to 1/2 full twice a day; Unless its in the teens to below zero- then i load more.

Good luck!

I have the hawken, global hydronics gh1000. I know some guys on this forum have had trouble with some of these but so far, it has worked very well for me. I am heating about 2500 sq ft plus dhw. will end up using 7 cord. As previous poster stated half full twice a day. The new hawken looks very good to me same firebox design as mine (only mild steel) with the tubes in it that force the heat to be pushed around them. Friend of mine down the road has a cb5036 similar sized house similar wood consumption. What ever you do buy the logstor underground pipe. I think you will be happy with either stove Good luck!

he-2100 here heating 3000 sq ft. and domestic hot water

Couldn't be happier, kept water temp at 140-160. This was our first season with it and it takes some time to get used to it. I threw all of my wood in a pile last year after splitting. If i had to guess wood consumption i'd say 7 to 10 full cord. I'd fill the firebox 1/2 full twice a day. I work 12 hr days and always lasts close to 14 hours before refilling.

Good luck with your decision. Both stoves would be a great choice.

I am getting ready to buy OWB and have a hawken and CB dealer within an hour. Seems alot of people have CB, but the new hawken (not the global hydronics) looks like a good stove. Just wanted to hear imput from people on both brands. Thanks.
]

I would go with either a Taylor or CB. NOT Hawken. Def buy something American made! I've owned a Taylor for almost 10 yrs and haven't had any issues. Good luck on your decision!

Thanks for replys. I meet w/ both dealers last week,liked hawken dealer better, but liked CB furnace better. But the price is alot higher due to amount of pipe I need (200 ft.) Im also going to check on empyre, they also have a dealer close by. Any one know about these, they look close to same as CB.

I heat a poorly insulated 1900 sq ft tri level in michigan with my he2100 2 winter and have not had one issue what so ever. Dealer was great he spent close to 30-40 hours with me before i made that choice. It hardly smokes at all! I'm sure that the others that have one will say the same. I also recieved a conduit kit as well, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Oh i forgot to mention i heat my hot water as well. With 6 women in the house you can IMAGINE the water i go thru! I would say at the close of year 3 i will have paid for the purchase. However if i had the tax credit avaible to me then as there is now i would strongly consider Geo-thermal! So with that said! i would suggest the hawken! but with any stove that you get please burn seasoned wood! if your not then don't get one. Okay, know its time for my windmill!

I heat a poorly insulated 1900 sq ft tri level in michigan with my he2100 2 winter and have not had one issue what so ever. Dealer was great he spent close to 30-40 hours with me before i made that choice. It hardly smokes at all! I'm sure that the others that have one will say the same. I also recieved a conduit kit as well, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Oh i forgot to mention i heat my hot water as well. With 6 women in the house you can IMAGINE the water i go thru! I would say at the close of year 3 i will have paid for the purchase. However if i had the tax credit avaible to me then as there is now i would strongly consider Geo-thermal! So with that said! i would suggest the hawken! but with any stove that you get please burn seasoned wood! if your not then don't get one. Okay, know its time for my windmill!

Are you going to start a separate thread about your windmill? I'm interrested as well. I have made it a 3 year plan, to reasearch, research, communicate with common folk as well as salesman, and finally more research about them. Any and all ideas i'd love to hear about!!

Are you going to start a separate thread about your windmill? I'm interrested as well. I have made it a 3 year plan, to reasearch, research, communicate with common folk as well as salesman, and finally more research about them. Any and all ideas i'd love to hear about!!

I have been looking at the company http://www.skystreamenergy.com/ There is a dealer near by me in marlette michingan. I was given a address of a person about 10 miles away that has one, going to stop by there and do a little Q and A with them. As with you I'm in the get all the facts phase. once i throw my last Dave Ramsey snowball i will be putting my sights on a windmill. After all Cap and trade could be on deck with Obama and his mob!

I have been looking at the company http://www.skystreamenergy.com/ There is a dealer near by me in marlette michingan. I was given a address of a person about 10 miles away that has one, going to stop by there and do a little Q and A with them. As with you I'm in the get all the facts phase. once i throw my last Dave Ramsey snowball i will be putting my sights on a windmill. After all Cap and trade could be on deck with Obama and his mob!

Can't beat Dave Ramsey, we went through his course. It's been tough, and definately an eye opener.

Thanks for the site, i'll do some more research as well. Keep me informed if you don't mind.

Be careful about your choice - too large a furnace means that you are spending more up front and heating more water than you need to.

I live in central Virginia - coldest it gets here is negative single digits, season lasts from October through April/May.

With my CL5036 I heat 3600sf of house with huge ceilings - we have 10 1/2' first floor, 9' second floor and an enormous 17' tall room - this adds up to a TON of space to heat. My wife keeps the house at 74degF and I also heat the hot water (5 people including 2 teenagers who measure shower time in hours not minutes).

We get 12 hours burns most of the season with a mix of oak and softwoods. In the fall and spring I get 24 hour burns with mostly pine.

I would go with the CB hands down. The CB I bought has exceeded my expectations in every way possible and I believe it is the best out there.

Back