What's the best deal you ever got on a saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a free MS 290 from my work and rebuilt it with factory parts(made it a 390) for less than 150 bucks. Today I got a MS 460 for 250 bucks.:jawdrop:

I bought a Husky 268 at a auction about 6 years ago, the tag on it read bad piston and cylinder. Since the saw was pretty clean I bought it for $75 bucks for a project saw, got it home and checked the cylinder and didn't see any problems so I fueled it up and started it and adjusted the carb. It ran great and still does today!!:clap:

026...FREE
036...FREE
036 PRO...FREE
066...$100 (MISSING FROM PIC) come to think of it, the 066 is the only chainsaw I have ever bought. :cry:

attachment.php

This sounds stupid but 20 years ago I got a Lightning for free because it did not run. Fixed it with a plug, used it for two years and sold it for $200.00. It is only recently I regret selling that saw. Love to have it back.:cry:
Nardoo

A friend had a MS440 that had been in a storm bunker for several yrs.
It looked like hell, covered in North Ga red clay.
The local Ace hardware small engine repair man told me it wasn't worth repairing.
It was locked up tight. I got it freed up, installed a new filter, carb kit, spark plug, bar and chain. I cleaned it up and brought back to him and he told me that it was mine now that I was the one who brought it back to life.
I'm now hooked on Stihl saws forever.

ms660 & ms361

I bought an ms660 and an ms361 from a friend. Neither one ran 660 needed a piston and rings the 361 got a big bore kit. I have 598.00 invested in the two and love them both.

This 24" Remington SL-11A was left in the basment by the previous owners.
Cleaned the carb and replaced the chain, runs fine.

Went to a guys house to cut some wood, he had some saws he Did not want.
I got a 18" Homlite Timberman, an 16" Poulin, and a McCullough electric all for $20:), with new chains and some minor repairs they all ran fine.
I sold the Poulin for something like $40.

Just bought a Homelite 5-30 for $56.00. I have a dead 026 someone gave me for free. Prolly just needs a tune-up when I get to it.

I went out with a friend to cut a load of fir firewood this morning and start breaking my 038 Mag rebuild in. On the way out of the woods he told me he had a couple saws out in the shop that I could have. We stopped by his house and picked up a 660 Echo, a 31 Stihl and a 32 Stihl. Nothing special but they are all very tight. Probably from sitting for the last however long. Get em goin' and put em on Ebay I guess:D

I went out with a friend to cut a load of fir firewood this morning and start breaking my 038 Mag rebuild in. On the way out of the woods he told me he had a couple saws out in the shop that I could have. We stopped by his house and picked up a 660 Echo, a 31 Stihl and a 32 Stihl. Nothing special but they are all very tight. Probably from sitting for the last however long. Get em goin' and put em on Ebay I guess:D

Maybe nothing special but usually sell real good on ebay.

625 JohnnyRed

sold a fellow a 026s, and he throws in the Jred for $0.01 so technically it wasn't free...

can't remember if I paid him for it.

My wife stopped at a yard sale and I noticed a guy across the road setting out
4 chainsaws, a Stihl 028, a small McCulloch and 2 others, don't even remember
what they were. Anyway I said, "what'll you take for the saws" and he said "$35
for all of them". I was like here you go, didn't even need to look over them but
when I got home I took the side plate off the 028 to see what kind of crap was
in there and the clutch fell off into my hand, the crankshaft was snapped at the
clutch. I was like d@mn but I needed the handle/tank for my old 028. I sold
off everything I didn't want to keep on eBay. Then I hooked up with Smilin'
Possum and he swapped out my handle/tank, the anti-vibe rubbers and a
few things and he popped in a electronic module and she's good as new. I
thought the cylinder needed swapping out but he checked it and I still had
160# of compression on my ol' 028 so I was good. I'm keeping the cylinder
and piston for now. I left him the old handle off my old 028, it just had a
chip out of the foot hold where my wife ran over it with the trailer. I told
him him if someone was in a bind or down on their luck and needed it or
whatever to just pop it on their saw.

One other deal I found was 2 - 24" Sandvik bars, I believe they were Sandvik,
bars for $4 a piece. I sold one and gave the other to Smilin' Possum.

I bought a jred 621 on ebay for $60, and it didn't come and didn't come. I emailed the guy and he finally got back to me. Computer problem of some kind, anyway he sent a parts saw along to make up for the delay. Gave the handle to a neighbor cause his fell off a pickup and broke the handle, and I sent the rest of the saw to an AS member when we did a saw to a buddy thing a while back.

Also got a very good 029 super which is one of my "go to" saws now and a 041AV which is in good shape, both for $150. JR

Back