Any of you guys run a 372 Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbarky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found some 372 Husky's. They are going to need some work (little stuff), but hoping to pick one up for less than a new saw price. Just wondering if they are good saws to start with or if they have problems. I usually run 036's and 55's but I have to cut some big trees for my dad on grandpa's old home place. We want to get a few loads of logs out of a ditch-fence row and pulp wood the rest. Some of the oaks and hickory are 24" plus at the butt. I could cut them with my old 036 but she's 15 years old this spring and cut alot of big pine over the years. I thinks she's getting a little weaker and I don't want to damage it by overloading her. I'll rebuild it soon but figure now would be a good time to get a real log saw. I have (3) 041's, but they are real old and not to dependable. I am hoping to fine a 70 cc saw to replace them. Anyway just wandering if a 372 husky is a viable log cutter and what problems to look for. I am open to suggestions as I haven't bought anything yet.

372 xp is an awesome saw and very popular around here. I don't know of any problems with this model.

I have run huskys for 30+ years.Had many different models but I just bought 1 more new 372xp just to have on hand. This is the best size and most reliable saw I have ever bought. My favorite husky by far.

Reliable as the sunrise. Mine never fails me, ever. The choke lever can and will pop out of it's carb choke lever hole, but a new plastic choke pull is all it'll need. Run the "winter" air cleaner and cleaner cover. It's more stream-lined and will run a very long time between cleanings.
The hex head bolts that hold the log dogs on will eventually rattle loose. Pull them and add loc-tite. Mine have come loose so much that they actually ate away the threads in the case. If and when the shut-off switch stops working (it won't turn it off), it's a pop out and scrape the contact thing. A screwdriver will pop it right out.
I run a 20" on mine, I'm so used to it that a longer bar messes me up big time...I hit the dirt and get kick-back a lot. So run the bar length you are familiar with. IMO, a 20" bar is enough to get any tree on the ground that is under 50" on the stump. The shorter the bar, the cheaper it will be and the more power the saw will have.

Found some 372 Husky's. They are going to need some work (little stuff), but hoping to pick one up for less than a new saw price. Just wondering if they are good saws to start with or if they have problems. I usually run 036's and 55's but I have to cut some big trees for my dad on grandpa's old home place. We want to get a few loads of logs out of a ditch-fence row and pulp wood the rest. Some of the oaks and hickory are 24" plus at the butt. I could cut them with my old 036 but she's 15 years old this spring and cut alot of big pine over the years. I thinks she's getting a little weaker and I don't want to damage it by overloading her. I'll rebuild it soon but figure now would be a good time to get a real log saw. I have (3) 041's, but they are real old and not to dependable. I am hoping to fine a 70 cc saw to replace them. Anyway just wandering if a 372 husky is a viable log cutter and what problems to look for. I am open to suggestions as I haven't bought anything yet.

You can't have read much on here when you ask that question - it is a great saw! :greenchainsaw:

"Any of you guys run a 372 Husqvarna"

Just about every member who is serious about cutting logs or having a light weight high revving saw owns one, maybe more.

372xpw is the latest saw addition here. Every time I use it I almost wet my pants it's so nice! Smoooooth!

But then when I use the muffler modded 650 or the cancer curing 361, I feel the same way.

Thanks for the info guys, alot of local guys disagree strongly on saws but they all run Stihl or Husky. Most of the loggers I'm around run 70 cc saws or larger for felling and even bucking at the loading site. My step dad is 62 and he says he likes the MS 440 and the 372 Husky the same. However he says his personal favorite is his new 385 Husky. He says it will eat the other two and then some. I just don't want to haul those heavy ass old 041's around anymore to try to get this job done. They are good saws but we have used them since I was in high school. I learned to saw with a 041 farm boss. No antivibe there. My dad always use a 041 super. We still have them and I want to fix em up and keep them around, but I don't really want to chance damaging one they are hard as hell to find parts for anymore. Dad has COPD and I do all the sawing he's just skids some and runs the loader. Believe it or not my Dad and Step Dad get along real good and can work together. I they're both good people. So anywho I will check into getting one of the 372's tomorrow. We have a local logger who never throws away a saw. Keeps them all for parts he's got them everywhere. He said he let me look thru them so I should be able to pick up one will little trouble. They all need bars and chains, maybe a muffler or oiler, chain brakes or something. Thanks guys

It's one of only 2 saws I've ever seen diehard Stihlheads admit was good (the other is the 346). Get 'em before someone else does (like me...).

based on what I have read on AS, and my own experience with a 372XP, it is one of the best saws ever made

That saw is a true classic and the only thing EPA is the limiters on the carb.

Get one while you can.

I use my Univent, a factory-ported 372XPW, all the time. The power to weight ratio is immense. I also have the Jonsered version, a 2171WH. If I could own only one saw, it would have to be one of these with an assortment of bars.

There should be a picture of a 372XP in the dictionary next to the word "chainsaw". If you don't have one, you need it.

i have a ported 440 and a ported 372. they are eguals of eachother. personell prefrence is the onlything that seperates them. i love them both

Latest posts

Back