Tire pressure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obey the sidewall.

If you underinflate then the sidewall can over-flex under heavy loads and compromise the tire. If you overinflate then the tire can be compromised as well.

I run E rated tires on my 350 and keep them at the sidewall psi.

Can't read my doorjamb. I've always gone by the tire sidewall. The reason I asked is that Iv'e heard conflicting ideas. (doorjamb,tire sidewall, whatever looks right.....) I've been trying to sort it out.

Your tire's sidewall pressure is MAX pressure for MAX load... If you run around unloaded a lot, you'll wear the centers out of your tread... My '90 3/4 ton 4x4 Cummins had been run at 75psi for the year my uncle had it, and he never had anything heavy in it for any length of time, and the centers of the tires were probably 2/32" lower than the edges... Same size as your dually, probably... 235/85-16... I ended up running 50PSI front and rear with those tires, and they ended up fine... Upped the rears to 80PSI when loaded... Fronts stayed at 50...

Mike

Hello,
My wood hauler is an old 1984 C30, with duals. The tires are "E" load rated. What is a good air pressure to fill them too? I have heard everything from 45 psi to 75 psi. What is everyones experience and thoughts on a safe tire pressure? What do you all fill too? I think this is often over-looked. Thanks.
If all 4 are the same brand you should be able to find a max pressure somewhere on the sidewall of one of em.Thats the max press cold and at max load for the tire. If you can't find it 60 should be fine unless you're really loading it.

I run my e rated tires @ 80 lbs. I had Uniroyals E rated and they wore evenly and lasted 65k mi. and if winter wasn't coming I could have gone another 10k The size was 265 75 16 E. They were on my GMC diesel pickup.

doorjam is the sticker for the stock tires that came with your truck ! dont trust it on an older vehicle . go with the sidewall !
MD

One more vote for the sidewall it varies from make to make. I run mine at 80psi rear and 70psi up front.

Single 10 plys 80-90 PSI rear , depends on the load, road, distance and mood.
Single 6 plys , 45-60 PSI rear , ditto as above.
Single 4 plys , 40-45 PSI rear , ditto
Front 35 PSI - 4 ply, 40 PSI - 6ply, 60 PSI - 10 ply.

The MFG placard on the vehicle is for ride comfort , not mileage or max load. If the tire is getting hot or looks flat with the load it is time to add more air.

The pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire is the Maximum pressure allowable with that tire if its mounted on the right rim. lt isn't usually the best pressure to use for day to day driving, but its usually not to far off from it either. What I have found tends to work best, particularly with heavy trucks, is to run the fronts about 10 pounds less than the sidewall maximum and the rears about 5 pounds less. The slightly lower pressure does wonders to improve the handeling of the truck. Lowering that pressure stops it from wondering around in the lane while driving. My truck is a SRW F-250 PS/SD and so when I have to load it up heavy I just blow the additional 5 pounds in the rears and I'm good to go.

My point is that overinflating them is almost as bad as underinflating them and starting at the tire's rated maximum almost guarantees that you've got too much air in them. I will guarantee you one thing - if you walk into any automobile dealer's showroom and open the door of any new truck they have for sale you will see the recommended tire pressure, then go look at the tires that are on the truck and you'll see that whatever maximum pressure the tire is rated to accept will be higher pressure than the door jam tells you to put in them. That should tell you something.

I had a tire shop underinflate some tires, and I never checked them They had 50 pounds pressure, but were rated 80. It broke them down early. :(

I read the sidewalls now.

I had a tire shop underinflate some tires, and I never checked them They had 50 pounds pressure, but were rated 80. It broke them down early. :(

I read the sidewalls now.

If you're running around with a heaping bed of wood or tools, yep... If you're running around empty, the pressure was fine, and actually about right...

Mike

If you're running around with a heaping bed of wood or tools, yep... If you're running around empty, the pressure was fine, and actually about right...

Mike

:agree2: Pressure the tires for the load. Just be careful on underinflating a tire, heat builds quickly and will ruin it in short time.
I run 70 in my fronts, (diesel, heavy bumper) and 55 in the rears, this is good for the majority of what I carry, I go up in the rears if it's a very heavy load.

I was always told follow the door, that's what "suppose to" get you the best ride and longevity, But again to many variables. To maximize the life of a tire I say the most important thing is to rotate them often and gauge accordingly especially on 4x4. I always kept 65psi all way around, but when I knew I was hauling I bumped it up to 80 in the rear...The front will be hard to judge cause of alignment issues if any, the back should wear good. If you notice to much in the center lower psi, to much wear on the outsides add some psi's..Keep in mind radial tires suppose to have a "bubble" looking affect on the side walls, not to much but enough that the tread is flat on the ground at all times. Don't overlook your alignment also...

Running at or near the max sidewall pressure, as indicated in another post, is a great idea if carrying a near maximum load. Less than a major load and you'll wearout the centers of the tread (again pointed out by another post).

Additional danger though, if you run duals underinflated: the sidewall flex at the bottom of the tires can cause them to rub together and catch fire. More common than you might think!

I run 55 to 60 on a F250 4X4 and it works for non loaded driving. When loaded I'll go to 70 front and max sidewall in the rear. If you run above 65 empty you will wear the tires in the center and rattle your teeth out.

Latest posts

Back