Fun with some 028s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago StihlyinEly had most of a pair of 028s for sale in the Tradin' Post. I was about to go on spring break (a perk of teaching) and needed a challenge, so I bought his saws. This is what he sent:
attachment.php

Everything came promptly and as advertised (thanks, StihlyinEly). I'd never taken on a saw in parts, much less two of them. Fortunately, I had plenty of time to research various questions here on AS.

The saw with handle attached went together pretty smoothly. It passed pressure and vacuum tests and compression is 160+. Its carb did not pass a pressure test, so I used the loose carb which did pass. The saw started up after a half-dozen pulls. I hope to give it a workout this weekend and experiment with the tuning (something I'm still trying to master).

There were enough parts left over to tempt me to complete the second saw. One problem - the case was broken where the upper AV buffer bolts on. I couldn't find any encouraging words about welding magnesium, so I tried JB Weld. I got the idea from some other repairs I'd read about here. First I drilled some holes for wire reinforcement.
attachment.php

Then I wire brushed to get paint off and roughen the surface.
attachment.php

Finally, I built a clay dam to contain the JBW. I greased up the bolt and ran a screw through the clay to hold the bolt in place. Finally I dolloped in the the JBW. I had to balance my desire to poke around to eliminate air bubbles against the risk of moving the bolt out of the threads.
attachment.php

More to come.

Rest of story

After the JBW set for 24 hours, I pulled off the tape and clay. The bolt backed out smoothly. I just cut off the screw, figuring the tip of it might help reinforce the thread. After a little sanding it looked like this:
attachment.php

Another angle:
attachment.php

There are still a few odds and ends to tend to. I'm waiting on a rebuild kit for the Tillotson HU-40B carb and hope that will make it operational. I also have an AV buffer to install to replace the one that was broken (see the original pic). They look like this now.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks to all the helpful folks here at AS.

Charlie

It's nice to see a deal go down well!
Good job StihlyinEly!
And nice job on the saws!
:cheers:

Back