Firewood rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My version of the theme ...

IMG_1438.jpg

End pallets are tied in at the bottom and a single rope holds them together along the top. This also gives you a nice guide for stacking a nice even wood pile.

IMG_1435.jpg

This firewood was stored in rounds under tarp for 18 months, I'm just getting around to splitting it now and will store in this rack over the summer before moving into the open shed in the back ground.

I always use pallets for stacking. I put a pallet on the ground I stand another pallet up at the end and then take 2 x 4's at a 45 degree angle and screw one end into pallet on ground and one end into the upright pallet. Haven't had one fail yet. I don't put any stakes in the ground. :chainsaw:

i second that one !! works great

My version of the theme ...

End pallets are tied in at the bottom and a single rope holds them together along the top. This also gives you a nice guide for stacking a nice even wood pile.

This firewood was stored in rounds under tarp for 18 months, I'm just getting around to splitting it now and will store in this rack over the summer before moving into the open shed in the back ground.

I tried wiring them together, but my wire stretched too much. I have to agree, that's a very clean setup. :clap:

Just ran downstairs and outside to make some quick photos. I have a similar setup in a lean to next to my house. Yeah I know it is messy but I just made it a week ago and am just beginning to fill the system.
attachment.php

Hey Dolmen

I like your system also but I am worried that the bottom is closed.
attachment.php

I would prefer an open bottom, like on regular pallets, to be sure that I have an air circulation from underneath.
attachment.php

But then again I have a cement floor underneath and have no idea what system is better.

I like your system also but I am worried that the bottom is closed.

I would prefer an open bottom, like on regular pallets, to be sure that I have an air circulation from underneath.

I agree it's better to have some openess on the bottom, but you'll still get air through the stack even without it.

I'm planning to build a woodshed over the summer using pallets, and I plan to put down plastic to prevent ground moisture from migrating upwards. Then I'll put the floor on cinder blocks, so I have plenty of airflow up through the floor.

Well heres a couple of pics of my base for my wood rack so far.. I have it figured out that it should hold 4 rick of wood. I have decided to go with some T-posts 1 at each end of each row of wood shood be sufficent enough.. I have to pick 2 more on monday then I will get those in the ground plus its gonna rain here next couple days so that will help pounding them in the ground once it gets a little rain soaked in it...Well as I said here are some pics of the work completed so far and my helper that has helped me through out the whole way.. Its not perfect, its just supposed to hold wood but I enjoyed it the most to be able to work on a project with my son and we had fun doing it..

IMG_0146_INT.jpg

IMG_0145_INT.jpg

as you can see I have it on four 2 x 6's that are setting on top of some old paver bricks for air flow from underneath and all around as well..

Now to start the stacking process...more to come may take a few days I have to split some rounds up into firewood to stack first..lol..

Again thanks for everyones advice and pics on ideas I could work with to help me visualize what Im needed to build to keep my wood off the dirt..

Last edited:
Well, here's my thoughts:

The first year I 'free stacked' the ends. I nicked one stack with the snowplow blade in the winter and 3 stacks did the domino thingy...

Early last fall I was short of pallets for the upright ends so I drove 2 4' iron fence spikes in the ground for end of row supports. By the time the fall rains ended my stacks were bowing out and I would not allow my little grandchildren anywhere near the wood stacks for fear of the children being hurt by falling wood.

So, I unloaded 1/2 of each row, put upright pallets on the ends and tied them in with lag screws through 2x4's cut at 45 degrees.

It is now Spring and each stack looks just as good as it did last fall - except some of the stack contents were funneled through our wood burner and those pallet racks are now empty. :)

Shari

Well heres a couple of pics of my base for my wood rack so far.. I have it figured out that it should hold 4 rick of wood. I have decided to go with some T-posts 1 at each end of each row of wood shood be sufficent enough.. I have to pick 2 more on monday then I will get those in the ground plus its gonna rain here next couple days so that will help pounding them in the ground once it gets a little rain soaked in it...Well as I said here are some pics of the work completed so far and my helper that has helped me through out the whole way.. Its not perfect, its just supposed to hold wood but I enjoyed it the most to be able to work on a project with my son and we had fun doing it..

IMG_0146_INT.jpg

IMG_0145_INT.jpg

as you can see I have it on four 2 x 6's that are setting on top of some old paver bricks for air flow from underneath and all around as well..

Now to start the stacking process...more to come may take a few days I have to split some rounds up into firewood to stack first..lol..

Again thanks for everyones advice and pics on ideas I could work with to help me visualize what Im needed to build to keep my wood off the dirt..

I forgot to add that once I get my stacks complete I was going to run some kind of heavy duty string from end to end on my T-posts so as to keep them from bowing out when the ground softens..

Wood racks in the making

I figured I'm in for the long haul. So here's a rack system I'm building. I started with single racks, but after I had one to fall over I seen that they need to be build in pairs. Got to get some black roofing tin to put on top of this first one. Rack is 32 feet long.

I use 4 t-posts at the end of each row of pallets. My opinion made the ends more stable.

Then along the sides use a T-post at the mid point on each pallet; both sides of pallet.

With each row being 6 pallets long it does take several T-posts; BUT these are old used fence posts so no money is spent. Have not had a row fall over yet.

I also leave enough space between the rows of pallets to get the lawnmower through easily. We can just mow between the rows to keep grass and weeds down.

YEP pallets rot in direct contact with ground; but for now they are easy to find and free. If the pallets are in bad shape when the fire wood is removed they are broke up and burned.

I use 4 t-posts at the end of each row of pallets. My opinion made the ends more stable.

Then along the sides use a T-post at the mid point on each pallet; both sides of pallet.

With each row being 6 pallets long it does take several T-posts; BUT these are old used fence posts so no money is spent. Have not had a row fall over yet.

I also leave enough space between the rows of pallets to get the lawnmower through easily. We can just mow between the rows to keep grass and weeds down.

YEP pallets rot in direct contact with ground; but for now they are easy to find and free. If the pallets are in bad shape when the fire wood is removed they are broke up and burned.

Im having to buy my posts for I dont have access to them from an old fence that has been pulled up unfortunately. so Im gonna try it this year with one per row and see what happens.. Im having to pay $6.09 per T-post at Rural King which is only .20 cents cheaper than TSC. I just happen to be in the town were RK was since both stores are 20 to 30 mins away I went to the one I was in the town of..lol.. I may not stack all the way to the top but only 2/3 way up at the ends then just make the middles of my rows go up higher than 4 feet kind like make a hump between post so as to relieve som pressure from them... but I was going to tie the tops end to end with heavy duty string but if I do the hump idea then I cant do the rope... trail and error..lol..

Just my opinion but pallets are a poor choice if they're in direct contact with the ground. I tried that once and they ended up full of termites. Better off with some kind of pressure treated wood.

read the full post there on bricks....I already knew they become infested with termites and also rot as well being in direct contact with the dirt... thats why I am putting the base I am building on Bricks..

:greenchainsaw:

You're right, I need to read more better. :dizzy:

Back