tires for the wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvlogger

Rock trucker
Reaction score
I am needing to find an agressive mud tire that would hold some weight. The block i amin this year is soaked to the bone. I was looking at some 31-10.50R16 Interco swampper boggers
attachment.php

But i would run others. But it has to be agressive. They are going on an 1990 F250 with a 300I6 5 speed and 4:10's. any help would be nice

thanks
chris

A lot of guys around here run the buckshot mudders, not sure who makes them, but you see them on a lot of farm trucks.

I was going to put some buckshots on my truck, but they didn't come in a size small enough... LOL Hard to find decent budget mudders in an LT235/70R16. Buckshots aren't nearly as aggressive as those in the pic though...

Ian

Last edited:
Buckshot mudders are made by Maxxis. They would be not nearly as aggressive as the boggers, but would be a lot better on the road, and they last a long time. The boggers are super aggressive, but on the pavement wear out really fast and are ungodly loud. Plus they are super expensive. I guess you'd just have to decide how many miles the truck gets on road, and how much you want to spend, and how aggressive a tire you need for where you are taking the truck. If the truck has an open rear end, I would be thinking locker or bare minimum a good limited slip like a trutrac first, because even with boggers one tire spinning in the front and one in the back isn't gonna cut it in the mud.

Here's a link to the buckshots:

http://www.ntwonline.com/BUCKSHOT_RADIAL_MAX_-_MAXXIS_T_P7030C38.cfm

Buckshot mudders are made by Maxxis. They would be not nearly as aggressive as the boggers, but would be a lot better on the road, and they last a long time. The boggers are super aggressive, but on the pavement wear out really fast and are ungodly loud. Plus they are super expensive. I guess you'd just have to decide how many miles the truck gets on road, and how much you want to spend, and how aggressive a tire you need for where you are taking the truck. If the truck has an open rear end, I would be thinking locker or bare minimum a good limited slip like a trutrac first, because even with boggers one tire spinning in the front and one in the back isn't gonna cut it in the mud.

Here's a link to the buckshots:

http://www.ntwonline.com/BUCKSHOT_RADIAL_MAX_-_MAXXIS_T_P7030C38.cfm

my mud is more water than any thing buts its the things i have to pull. I am a contract salvage person. i get contracts to get steel from the gas companie's and clean it up. But in that process i get wood to so the tires ahe to hold some weight and be agressive. i try not to use my truck like a skidder but more often than not it is.

The Swamper Boggers are great in the muck, but the soft rubber is not going to last on the tar. Not really priced cheap either. I would do one of two things. If you have to run on the road, buy the cheapest most aggressive tire you can get cause you're gonna be buying them often. Option two, find an older tractor, piece of equipment, beater truck, to skid material and set it up for offroad use, then have a dedicated street vehicle. Bit more cost, but it is hard to make a vehicle "do it all".

I don't think I could put up with the noise of those tires, let alone the low mileage you'll get out of them. I'd do with something like the buckshot mudders and if you just have to use it like a skidder get a locker put in the front end if you have a posi rear end. I'd do what was suggested if the pocket book allowed and try to find an old beater to use in your wood business, good trucks are too expensive to tear up. If your going to be dragging logs out with it, maybe you could put a A frame on a beater to help you pull or winch out your wood.

I only have a little to add.

I will reinforce what others have said about the swampers. Noisy, wear out quickly, expensive, and are designed for muck.

I also want to add that I too use my truck for things I shouldn't. It has prematurely worn it out. Also, repairs are more frequent than they should be.

I have learned, when you only have one truck, and it is down, you are in a pickle.

In the long run I hope you don't regret useing your truck as a "jack of all trades". I had to buy a one ton dump body to get my work truck off wood duty. If my work truck goes down for long, I am in a world of hurt.

Tire sizes and load range needed will really limit you in mud tires. Your boggers only come in a load range E (10 ply) in 35x12.50 in 16", if you go to a 16.5 rim, you can get down to a 33" tire, otherwise the 31x12.50 is only a load range c (6 ply). I think your 300 will not like turning 35's much.

The buckshots listed come in a LR E only in 245/75/16 or 235/85/16, both of which are about equal to a 30x9.50 size.

My favorite mud/dirt/snow tire is the Wild Country RVT, same tire sizes as the buckshots in LR E. Wild country link

Wood's heavy, so is scrap. I'd get the tires to haul the load, and worry about grip secondary.

Dunlop Mudd Rovers are a good mud tire. They clean out pretty easily as long as you can spin them over with some authority. I think the Intercos are gonna be a death trap on the highway with a good load of wood in the back of the truck. They are hard enough to keep in the road with an empty truck. With those Intercos, your not making a good contact patch with the surface of the road. Same reason atv's dont need to be on the highway. The Mud Rover by Dunlop has almost the same tread pattern as the BFG Mud Terrain. May not be aggressive enough for you, but they may be safer. I have Nitto Terra Grapplers and I love em, but I havent dropped the truck off in a hole yet either. I probably never will.:laugh:

I don't know who made mine but I will try to get pics tommarow. They are aggresive mud and snow tire. Size is 30-9.5-15. I went with the 9.5 for more psi in the snow. They are a 6ply tire and work great for me. The price was only $120 installed and they kept the junk old tire.

Ray

ok, you have a 1990 superduty is it twin I beem or is it a solaid Axel? instead of buying another truck. buy lockers f/r unless it's twin I beem then buy a rear only. And then get two winches frount and rear or a uni mount winch plate that goes into a 2" reciever hitch so you can go from eather ends. I know I'm goin to get crap for this but, the smittybuilt winches 10000lbs are actually pritty good. and only like $500.it's cheep in winch prices and look for tires on craigslist, u can get them for cheep for your size just my two cents.

Some of the tires the others have mentioned are OK, but for me the new design BFG MudTerrains are the best thing going. Really aggressive, yet they wear well on the road. They aren't very loud either. They take a large load with no problem. I had those boggers on a set of rims that I only mudded with. Perfect. They do no belong on the road. Just my experiences.

Matt

Well, now that we're talking about normal tires like mud terrains, have a look at the Mastercraft Courser C/T. Nice open deep tread on a tire that won't break the bank. $150 for 31x10.5R15 That is what I wanted, but they didn't make them in my size. --Ian

mft-73720_w.jpg

I have come to a decision. I am always getting old trucks that people don't want, so i am going to build a skidder taht would climb a tree. As for tires me and my wood cutting partner (aka Dad) decided on BFG mud terrains Or some wild spirits. The swampper boggers are not for what i do But they are going on my skidder truck.

Latest posts

Back